Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Bronco with a 300 inline 6 and the carb is running rich.
Is there a way I can adjust this? I've got it idling decent and the vacuum hoses all seem right.
It was backfiring, but I've got that stopped.
Is there anything I can adjust to get it to run leaner?
Also, which 1 barrel carb came on this motor?
I have the wiring to carb, distributer and the very basic "computer", sorry but I can't remember the real name for it off hand" that is located above the gas pedal.
Any help would be appreciated a lot.
If you need a picture of the carb to identify it I can post one tomorrow.
Help please.
Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday I did some adjustments and noticed that I can screw the needle valve in all the way and it is still running rich.
It is idling better.
I have the Carter YFA carb.
I unplugged the battery to see if the "computer" would reset, however it didn't seem to make any difference.
Still running very rich.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's kinda frustrating.
I would like to Redo it to a regular card, distributer and coil eventually.

·
Super Moderator
4,915 Posts
The problem that you're more than likely running into is that you have a computer controlled feedback carb. These are notorious for being either:
A) The best running carb setup for the 300
B) Not working properly and making the engine run rich and weak.

It was Ford's last attempt to keep the carb on the engine before they swapped it over to fuel injection in '87. When everything's in tip top shape, they run excellent. The computer uses different sensors from around the engine to set the fuel mixture and the ignition timing. However, once something burns out (which is usually the case since the newest one is nearing 30 years old), it goes into LIMP mode to keep the engine from being damaged and dumps in gas and keeps the timing from advancing.

This is probably what you're running into.

You can try to fix it if you know what's wrong, or you can revert it to a pre-feedback setup known as the DuraSpark II setup. It's extremely reliable, simple, and easy to do.

Just be sure it's legal where you live as far as emissions go.

You'll need:

Wiring harness that connects the ignition module, coil, and distributor (usually a junk yard item)
Non feedback carburetor
DuraSpark II distributor
Ignition Module
Coil (optional)

Generally, it's plug and play, but I've heard some say that the '86 is slightly different, but I don't know what those differences are. I don't think it's anything too major.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem that you're more than likely running into is that you have a computer controlled feedback carb. These are notorious for being either:
A) The best running carb setup for the 300
B) Not working properly and making the engine run rich and weak.

It was Ford's last attempt to keep the carb on the engine before they swapped it over to fuel injection in '87. When everything's in tip top shape, they run excellent. The computer uses different sensors from around the engine to set the fuel mixture and the ignition timing. However, once something burns out (which is usually the case since the newest one is nearing 30 years old), it goes into LIMP mode to keep the engine from being damaged and dumps in gas and keeps the timing from advancing.

This is probably what you're running into.

You can try to fix it if you know what's wrong, or you can revert it to a pre-feedback setup known as the DuraSpark II setup. It's extremely reliable, simple, and easy to do.

Just be sure it's legal where you live as far as emissions go.

You'll need:

Wiring harness that connects the ignition module, coil, and distributor (usually a junk yard item)
Non feedback carburetor
DuraSpark II distributor
Ignition Module
Coil (optional)

Generally, it's plug and play, but I've heard some say that the '86 is slightly different, but I don't know what those differences are. I don't think it's anything too major.

Thank you for all the information, I really appreciate it.
I have some questions,
What year Bronco or F series truck would have the wiring harness and distributor your talking about?
Can you recommend a carburetor that is good, but not super expensive?
And this may sound like a dumb question, but do I completely remove my current wiring harness and replace it with the dura spark one or is that an add on only for ignition?
Do I then remove the computer?

I really appreciate any help, thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts