Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been doing my research and I just want to be sure on this.

I have an 86 bronco with a carb 351w. I was gifted an 89 bronco with an EFI set up but no motor. Can I put an EFI head on the 86 carb block? If so, is there anything else id have to do?

Im not a genius when it comes down to mechanics, and I don't have all the money in the world so I'm trying to find an alternative to buying a new engine.

Thanks for the help

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, D44 SAS, 4.56 gears
5,642 Posts
Not quite that easy. You'd also need to swap out the PCM, wiring harnesses, fuel pump/sending unit in the fuel tank, remove the mechanical fuel pump from the engine and install a delete plate there, and probably a few other things. It's not a simple process.

Your best bet would be to sell a few parts from that rig to fund a Holley sniper or FiTech aftermarket carb-style EFI system, as they have their own on-board PCMs, and then all you'd have to do in install a high pressure fuel pump in the tank.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
2,019 Posts
I just want to echo what @MS88Bronc said. I like the factory EFI system in the fact that it's a very robust and reliable unit, but it is ANCIENT in terms of the technology that operates it. If i was in your shoes, i would go with an aftermarket throttle body EFI system like the sniper, you can install that, along with your original air cleaner setup and nobody would ever know the difference. You would also have the ability to tune and upgrade your engine however you wanted and not bound by the restrictions of the speed density computer of the older systems. If you installed the old EFI and decided you wanted to juice up your engine any, you'd be spending another 1000 bucks to get your old computer replaced or doing the MAF swap.
IMO your'e money ahead just getting a new modern system.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,340 Posts
You can make it run, but as said, youll need to swap computers, wiring, sensors, and fuel system to the EFI stuff.

The Holley Sniper is about 1400 bucks for the master kit. Well worth it for the lack of hassle trying to retrofit an antiquated system into an older vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
2,019 Posts
You can make it run, but as said, youll need to swap computers, wiring, sensors, and fuel system to the EFI stuff.

The Holley Sniper is about 1400 bucks for the master kit. Well worth it for the lack of hassle trying to retrofit an antiquated system into an older vehicle.
As much as i like opening my hood and seeing that big ol honking intake, the moment i decide to put a new engine in my bronco, it will likely be a sniper or terminator, whichever one has the full capabilites to manage timing and the whole smack, then get rid of all the EGR stuff while im at it, clean it all up and top it off with a big 4 inch tall air cleaner.

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,340 Posts
As much as i like opening my hood and seeing that big ol honking intake, the moment i decide to put a new engine in my bronco, it will likely be a sniper or terminator, whichever one has the full capabilites to manage timing and the whole smack, then get rid of all the EGR stuff while im at it, clean it all up and top it off with a big 4 inch tall air cleaner.
Sniper controls timing and all that jazz. Super sniper is for forced induction. Terminator X does it all plus transmission control.

Ive got a 2bbl sniper waiting to go on my 85's 300. 4x14" Stef's air cleaner to go on top. Im already 100% desmogged, but with an aftermarket 3 way kitty converter. Im only at 275 HP so the 2bbl is plenty, plus it will give me better throttle response/sensitivity.

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
1,504 Posts
Sniper controls timing and all that jazz. Super sniper is for forced induction. Terminator X does it all plus transmission control.

Ive got a 2bbl sniper waiting to go on my 85's 300. 4x14" Stef's air cleaner to go on top. Im already 100% desmogged, but with an aftermarket 3 way kitty converter. Im only at 275 HP so the 2bbl is plenty, plus it will give me better throttle response/sensitivity.
I’d be cautious of the terminator x setup. I don’t think it’ll control a bronco transmission. I might be mistaken but Im pretty sure it doesn’t support the e4od.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,324 Posts
Super sniper is also just a little bigger then the base one. It has extra inputs you can add to control as well.
On typical Bronco the base one is likely fine. I like the extra options on the Super tho

·
18,340 Posts
I’d be cautious of the terminator x setup. I don’t think it’ll control a bronco transmission. I might be mistaken but Im pretty sure it doesn’t support the e4od.
Great point. Idk much at all about it.

·
Registered
1996 Ford Bronco XL
1,504 Posts
Great point. Idk much at all about it.
Yeah the x max controls a trans. It supports mustang 4r70w transmissions but not the e4od or other 4x4 transmissions. Just checked the Holley website.

Reactions: BigBlue 94
1 - 10 of 10 Posts