Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy Carbon Batman!

Hello all! So I had to replace my valve cover gaskets on my 88 5.0 and now I have the top half of my engine across the garage, lol.

When I pulled the air plenum there was a lot of oil in the intake and after some research here I figured it was from the oil mist thru the pcv valve... easy fix.

the next thing was when I pulled the throttle body off of the plenum it was really caked in oily carbon, is that normal? and is that because of the pcv valve? or maybe the egr?

and I guess as a side note is there anything else I should look at/ replace while I have the engine this tore down?

Thanks, Langley

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had about the same amount of carbon buildup from the EGR when I pulled my TB off a couple of months ago. My lower inlet was oily while the upper was not.

I'll be interested in seeing people's recommendations as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time for some new rings which are probably causing excessive blowby. Oil in your airbox?

BTY, my family owns a ranch in Copperopolis, south of Hwy 4 near Telegraph Road. Also a place in Farmington and Sheep Ranch. Nice country, except for the snakes...
Thanks Seattle FSB! Ill do a comp test to see.

Copper is nice, I work for the phone company here so i'm under houses a lot and I see a lot of snakes! I caught 3 rattlers last summer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Bronco has over 150k on it and i was under the impression that this type of build up was pretty normal. Not sure if my intake manifold ever got cleaned. I just got my Bronco a little over a month ago and am going thru it from front to back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts