Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today while changing my valve cover gaskets I noticed a lot of build up inside my valve covers. Mostly carbon build up, my question is if I clean this to the best of my ability, will it hurt my engine, planning to add some seafoam to the engine, then changing my oil again.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nope, cleaning the inside of the valve covers won't hurt a thing unless the carbon is covering a rusty pinhole in them.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Just make sure you don't clog up the oil drain holes in the head with the crap. Put something in to plug the holes while you are doing it and then don't forget to take the plugs back out. I had the same problem the first time I removed my valve covers about 3 years ago, it looked like someone had thrown a bucket of sand in there. I cleaned it up real good and flushed the system and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Ive used Seafoam through the brake booster hose while running...Can surely see it working to clean carbon deposit......

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
F1rocco said:
Ive used Seafoam through the brake booster hose while running...Can surely see it working to clean carbon deposit......
That is a good way to clean up the path from the intake to the exhaust but that doesn't cover the area under the valve covers. It is much better to clean it by hand first and then flush the oil system. The only thing to consider is, if the engine is high milage flushing the oil system may cause problems to show up like low oil pressure and burning oil. The moral to that story is: if you have a good low milage engine, start maintaining the oil system then.

:thumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts