Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on making a snorkel setup for bronco, but im wondering if anyone has done this with the 460 yet? and if there are any pictures? im needing ideas on how to hook to the carb. i know that PVC pipe will work to run all the tubeing but i need a way to connect the tubing to the carburator that will be water tight and will be removable when the need comes. also how should i incorperate the filter to this? should i have it inside the tubeing or at the top of the tubing or any other ideas??

just wondering because today i took my truck out in some deep mud and got water in the filter and carb so now ive gotta change the oil and oil filter because ive only got 4 cylinders running...:duh

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Shouldn't be any different with a 460 than any other carbed engine :shrug Search for snorkel, I can't remember who, but someone has a writeup/pics on the subject. Good luck, and post your progress :thumbup

btw, i hope thats all the problems you have... water + engine = bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JahWarrior said:
Shouldn't be any different with a 460 than any other carbed engine :shrug Search for snorkel, I can't remember who, but someone has a writeup/pics on the subject. Good luck, and post your progress :thumbup

btw, i hope thats all the problems you have... water + engine = bad.
yea i just said 460 so people had an idea of what i was working with, and if they possibly had done the mod themself. yea ill search on it and hopefully post some picks on this topic of progress, i dont think to search something untill ive already posted a topic on it.

and im praying that i only need to change the oil. it was still running when i shut it down, and it had just gotten in the motor when popped the hood, so hopefully i got it in time. if not then it will be rebuild time...:twak :twak

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not a 460, but I believe everyone uses 4" pipe such as I did. I also went out the fender. the inside will be plumbed with a 6" PVC pipe for the filter with 4" angles and rubber connectors.

If you're as lucky as I, you'll have one of these (Gotta use a rubber connector to connect the carb to this.) or find/build something constructed in a similar way. The factory snorkels that come on carbs would work as well; dunno how well it'd do on a 460 though..

This is how it'll look if you go with the fender mount.
:See sig.:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have a rubber boot like that... do they make a jubber boot or clamp that i can put on PVC pipe that will just hold it on my carb?

that thing on ur bronco is gigantic...you say u used 6'' tubeing..ill probobly go with 4'' because ill want mine a little more low profile than that, but i plan on taking it out the fender, how did u cut the hole for it?

·
Registered
854 Posts
The outside is all 4" which is what you'll have to use, I believe, so you'll have one big ugly growth on your rig. I'm not worried about the size since my tires stick out nearly as far as it does.

The rubber "boots" are often used to connect PVC together. the one I have is a 4"PVC that connects to 4" Iron (Or some other type of pipe that's apparently bigger than 4"). The bigger 4" is really around 5 or so inches which is the right size for my carb. The smaller 4" slides up into the intake which fits snug, so all I have to do is glue it to the intake.

I cut the larger side of the "boot" to allow only enough room for the hose clamp to fit and I cut some off the smaller side to allow unrestricted flow into the carb from the intake. Any place dealing with plumbing should have these rubber connectors.

I also used a jig saw, since I'm poor. You can use a hole saw if you want, but you'll still have to 'ovalize' the hole anyway if you want to run nothing but PVC.

I also tried making the PVC come from my carb without the intake but unless you have a lot of space between your carb and hood, don't plan on that happening..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think that i would be able to connect an elbow directly to my carb and take it to the side, but ill have to see to make sure. that thing does look terribly ugly on there. but i guess it will have to do.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Swampwalker3 said:
The rubber "boots" are often used to connect PVC together. the one I have is a 4"PVC that connects to 4" Iron (Or some other type of pipe that's apparently bigger than 4"). The bigger 4" is really around 5 or so inches which is the right size for my carb.

I also tried making the PVC come from my carb without the intake but unless you have a lot of space between your carb and hood, don't plan on that happening..
That is what I used, a PVC to iron pipe rubber adapter. Cut both ends of it down and use a small metal ring, about an inch high that fits over carb, Run a long rod (same type that usually holds down the air cleaner) right through the PVC elbow and use small angle bracket to give you a horizontal surface to tighten nut on rod.

I have a 2" body lfit, but also have a slightly higher rise manifold. The PVC 4" 90 degree "pipe" just touches the hood. I'd think you might just fit it with a std manifold??

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Adams78Bronco said:
maybe if there was:
Chrome
Rubber Nobbys
Offroad Lights
Tits
Sparkles

on there it would look cool, instead of ugly

Just the TITS would be cool!!! :histerica :hump :histerica