Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader and first time posting.

I have read a lot of great threads on carb replacement suggestions and ideas. Thru all of these I have not seen one address what I'm sure is a commonly seen issue. To be sure I give all needed information I will try and be detailed.

My 86 XLT has the stock 351w. It still has the original 4180c which is in need of dire attention. In many threads I see that most people suggest replacing this carb rather than rebuilding. One of the most common carbs I have seen is the Edelbrock 1406. For my application I was going to go with this and then be sure to get the kick down lever and throttle bracket kits to get it all installed. Also figured I would throw in the banjo fuel fitting to route it cleaner.

So I pulled the carb and test fitted with a 1406 that a shop let me use to check fit. Since the Edelbrock sits wider on intake I ran into an issue. With the egr spacer block still installed the throttle linkage hits the heat control valve on the intake manifold. Holding the carb up till it would clear this would require what seems to be a 2" spacer. My understanding is that a spacer of that size will affect rpm range. Also all these extra parts add to the total cost of the carb.

I don't have the budget yet for changing intake manifold as well right now. Also not sure if stock air cleaner would still fit after all that is installed.

So what is my best approach to working around this issue? Would going with a new Holley 4160 be better since it would sit like the original carb and need less extra parts to put it in. Or anyone know how the Summit 600vs would work? Looking for all suggestions on getting this carb replaced.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I would compare the cost of rebuilding your present carb vs a new Holley. Assuming the throttle shaft bores are still good, the rebuild cost would be significantly less than a new carb, AND no messing around with adaptors, or add on linkage pieces.

·
Super Moderator
4,919 Posts
x2 on the throttle shaft bores. Once they're out of round, no amount of rebuilding will get the carb to run right. New throttle plates are about $100 or so.

Two inch spacers aren't really all that expensive:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/carburetor-spacers/thickness-in/2-000-in

As far as new carbs go, don't forget the new Street Demon carb. It's kinda funky looking, but I simply cannot read enough good things about them as far as performance, mileage, and ease of installation:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-1901

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
I agree on maybe looking at the street demon, I have one on my 78 and it works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the input so far. Looking at street demon wondering if it's wide like the edelbrock and would still need spacer to fit.
As far as spacer goes the cost isn't concern. I'm more so wanting to be sure how a 2" spacer might affect anything. My generic understanding is one that size changes things depending on if it's a 4 port or single. 4 port changing low end torque. I was told by summit I shouldn't use that spacer because of this fact.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have a street demon sitting here and I believe that the upper body is actually wider than the edelbrock.
Swamp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts