Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, due to the change in weather and the massive rain we had here in Jersey, I was forced to put the hardtop back on my truck. However while I had the softtop on, I was considering a mod and was curious if anyone had done it yet.

One of the issues I had (I have a "fastback" style top BTW) was that the water when it rained would pool up in the top over the rear cargo area. It wasn't a big issue, but after removing the top I realized that the top got stretched a little. Also, when the rain really pooled, it would slowly leak through the seams on the back as well, creating a moisture issue in the rear of the truck. (Though with a softtop, you can remove the top and let the whole thing sit in the sun and you are good to go.)

Anyway, I was thinking of some sort of support system to hold the top level so that the water wouldn't pool up. Then I thought, well, if I do that, then I could add more storage and create a roof rack sort of thing that sat between the body in the back, supporting the top when on, and giving me the space I need for other items (I have three Jack Russell Terriers and they need to be in their cages when we travel, so that takes up most of the cargo room) like coolers and strapping down tents and what not.

I figured it could have a lip on the four corners of the supports that would bolt into the stock holes for the top (I cut a hard top to mount the soft top too, so it can sit below the lip of that). A few pieces for support and a mesh for the bottom, and I think it would work.

Has anyone done this (and if you have can you post pics) and if not, what do you guys (and gals) think of the idea?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is this what you are thinking about?

I think its a great idea. One without the top support bar would be pretty hand for just holding stuff. Most of the things I have to put in the back are not more than a foot tall so this would be a great place to put smaller or fragile things. (I.e. coming home with bread / eggs from the grocery store...)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty close to what I was thinking.

However, I have one of the fastback tops, so when the top is on, the "hoop" that you put on wouldn't be able to be up. So, I don't think I'd put that on. (Though if you have a full Safari style top, then that would already be there.)

It could be like the basket that you show, however I was thinking that it would be flat. The frame would be built with 1" square tubing, and then a heavy screen welded to the bottom. So, the depth would only be 1" deep.

Though, I suppose you could make a more "basket" like shape if you wanted...

I'll see if I can make an illustration that's clearer than me explaining it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I get what you are looking for now. literally a shelf to stack things. The hoop idea was to support the soft top as it slopes down to the back. Expanded steel bottom?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, now I see what you mean by the hoop. Actually, that makes more sense and is also not a bad idea. Run something from the back of the cab down to the shelf.

What do you mean by expanded steel bottom?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.