Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some of you may have seen my introduction here http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115532

I took the engine out Friday night and got to taking it apart Saturday. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with what was in the oil pan. A nice mixture of water and oil.

The first thing I noticed after removing the valve cover is a missing valve retainer :doh: Hmmm....thats not good.

I pulled the head and saw this......

Where the hell is the piston?!?!?! :wtf

And this........

Anyone feeling ambicious and want to weld this up for me??

After seeing this, you know what has to be done next. The pan has to be dropped. This is just a small sample of the chunks that are in there.....

Every cylinder had metal chunks in them. I think the only savable pieces are the valve covers, intake, engine mounts, brackets, and a couple other external items.

Should I bother saving the crank to see if its ruined?? I'm keeping the heads but not expecting them to be usable.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Wow, man. That is EPIC carnage!!!! :notworthy

I wouldn't even mess with the crankshaft. I'd throw the whole thing out and start with a new long block or crate engine.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Oh Dammmn,That SUCKS!!! I wouldnt even waste the time having the crank checked. Just find a junk yard 100-200 buck long block and build it. Good luck

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention the other part of the valve retainer. THere is a piece of the valve stem left on the top of the head. Under the head.....the valve is gone. There an itake valve.....no exhaust valve.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh Dammmn,That SUCKS!!! I wouldnt even waste the time having the crank checked. Just find a junk yard 100-200 buck long block and build it. Good luck
I figured as much. I have another 302 that I originally bought for my Mustang. Its got 89K on it. It came out of a '89 Crown Victoria station wagaon. All I need it to do it get through this spring/summer and I'll look for a 351w for next year. Working on a possible trade for that.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
thats a broken motor... very nice... Well if your gonna break it, make sure its BROKEN!!!:toothless

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
very nice, someone was skilled...

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Cooooooooooool! :thumbup

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bet that made one hell of a boom when she flew apart. Too bad about the motor though.

mR

·
Registered
656 Posts
get an explorer motor.

98 with gt40 p heads, and a knockoff cobra intake.

cheap in junkyards, and makes great power with a better cam

·
Registered
777 Posts
you can get about $100 a ton for all that scrap where I live. might just buy enough beer for the rebuild. :beer

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
yea, I'm surprised you wasted any more time after pulling a head and seeing that. Total writeoff on that motor. down to scrap yard to collect what it's worth in weight, go find me another motor.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Awesome

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
nice

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Damn, and I thought the 302 in my $300 truck was bad with the 4 thrown rods. All that happened to that block was a chunk of the pan rail was gone.

good luck!

Justin

1 - 20 of 35 Posts