Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to spill gear oil on the rear carpet, so I decided to take it out and clean it. I forgot to take some before pics. :doh0715:

What I did was unbolt all the brackets that hold the rear seat in, then removed the carpet. I took it down to the carwash, and pre-rinsed it with the tire/engine degreaser. I then used the high pressure soap, followed by the high pressure rinse. I brought it back home to let it drip dry on the carport. It was hot enough today that it didn't take very long to dry. Here is a pic after cleaning....

After I pulled the carpet, something under the heat shielding caught my eye....

Looked under it, and this is what I found....

My build sheet :thumbup

And also realized that the floor is where they put the tailgate access panel when they painted it...

Overall I am very pleased with how clean the carpet got, although I can still smell a hint of gear oil. Any thoughts on how to remove all of the smell?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Febreeze? Oxyclean? I dunno.

Do all trucks have buildsheets? Im willing to pull the carpet up just to get it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe they all do. I had read somewhere that they were usually under the pass. seat, so I was surprised to find it in the back of the Bronco.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That heat shield is appearently stock, unless a P.O. put it in. The padding only got a little wet, probably from being on the ground. The rear carpet has some sort of plastic protection on it, possibly glue?

·
Registered
959 Posts
to get rid of the gear oil use a product called oust with the windows rolled up. before doing that let the beast air out with windows down and it will definately help. mine had that crappy vanilla air freshener smell and i did those 2 things and it dissapeared.

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
Ozone will get rid of the smell. I had a rof leak in one of my centurions and before I found it I had mushrooms and mold inside. After I fixed the roof I hooked up an ozonator for a couple of days and dang never smelled another bit of it since. That stuff is pretty darn cool. Just be careful using it as humans of course can't breathe inside of the vehicle it is being used in.:beer

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Hmm, I know it's not there in that particular spot, because we had to run some wiring under there....I hope the PO didn't take it :cry

Is there any way I could get another one? or are they gone? :cry

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
Hmm, I know it's not there in that particular spot, because we had to run some wiring under there....I hope the PO didn't take it :cry

Is there any way I could get another one? or are they gone? :cry

Ford will send you another one in the mail if you send them your VIN. Good directions on how in this thread:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71590

·
Registered
802 Posts
All of the fullsize Broncos I've owned had that same heat shield from the factory. It didn't matter if it had carpet or vinyl flooring, that aluminum crap was under there. I've also found the build sheets but usually under or between the front seats.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Believe it or not... I almost totally forgot about those build sheets. On my first ever Bronco, the old '86 XLT, I pulled the rear carpet to investigate what was left of my floorpans, and I found the old build sheet, same spot... unfortunately 70% of it was unreadable... but really a neat find.

I'm definently going to look under the 92's rear carpet to see if I can find it.

Aaron

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
my carpet didnt have a heat shield or a build sheet under it when I ruined it :cry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts