Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Bronco, 302, C6, 4x4, AC, Cruise, Power Win / Doors, all original equip
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am sure the answer to this is on this forum somewhere but I have not found it. So I am thinking on removing the carpet from a 92 Bronco to use in my 82. The carpet looks very good but I am wondering is it a direct swap to an 82. Does all seat bolt holes, trans cover size, etc. a match? Lastly, if anyone has removed before, does the carpet come up easily without damage or is it so sealed to the floor you have to cut and rip? If that's the deal, I won't bother. I got a deal for about $50 for the front/rear set as long as I pull it myself. Thanks and sorry for what may seem like a silly question.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
2,021 Posts
I think youll be fine, youll just have to cut a hole for the floor shifter and a hole for your dimmer switch, but for 50 bucks and its in good shape then go for it. You can hit it with a pressure washer and let it hang dry first and make it really nice. The carpet is just laid on the floor, its not glued unless someone did that after the fact.

I want to add to this, i think a new carpet kit is about 350 bucks front to rear. I don't know what your time is worth to you or your budget, but if the donor vehicle you have to get this carpet out of needs to be disassemled, then its quite a chore, you have to remove the seats, console, rear seat, seatbelt anchor bolts all the rear seat hardware, some of the trim panels need to come loose. Door sills...etc. It's not just a go "yank it out of there" job, its quite involved especially if any of the fasteners are rusted, or if the nut welded to the floorboard comes loose and you have to have someone hold backup...stuff like that. So unless it was pretty much all done already or in IMMACULATE condition, i might would just buy a new one, but thats just my input.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks. The seats, console, door sills and some panels are already gone. I'll have to google fasteners and the nut you mentioned. Where is this welded nut located. I appreciate all the info. I definately don't want to show up and find that it takes me two hours to remove it and it's still there staring at me with a big "thought it was easy" grin!!

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 mostly stock
2,021 Posts
Hey thanks. The seats, console, door sills and some panels are already gone. I'll have to google fasteners and the nut you mentioned. Where is this welded nut located. I appreciate all the info. I definately don't want to show up and find that it takes me two hours to remove it and it's still there staring at me with a big "thought it was easy" grin!!
Its not any in particular, just the seatbelts and seats where the bolt through the floor, theres a threaded "nut" thats spotwelded into place on the bottom, its not really a nut just a thick tab for the bolt to anchor to, i have had these come loose, then you have to fish some pliers or soemthing from underneath to hold backup, or just end up cutting them out with a grinder....PITA

·
Premium Member
1991 XLT. 5.0, E4OD, manual transfer case, 4.10 LS, factory manual lockouts
947 Posts
While perusing the LMC truck website earlier, it states floor coverings are 1980 to 1996 fitment. So yes, that carpet should work. As stated above, you may need to add holes for shifters or find that you need to add a shifter to fill a hole. Also, the high beam switch in your vehicle is floor mounted, whereas the switch in the donor is in the MFS.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the help and replies. Yes packagerjr as you probably know i do perform most of the work on my truck as I learn with the help of all of you on this forum. My truck came to me with most carpet removed, seats mostly unbolted accept rear and a hot mess. The bits and pieces of remaining carpet seemed to be rusted stuck to the body in places and took razors and solution to get off so I just wondered. Nothing has been simple or easy with the bronco so I wanted to be prepared. Hopefully this question helps another in the future.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Thanks for all of the help and replies. Yes packagerjr as you probably know i do perform most of the work on my truck as I learn with the help of all of you on this forum. My truck came to me with most carpet removed, seats mostly unbolted accept rear and a hot mess. The bits and pieces of remaining carpet seemed to be rusted stuck to the body in places and took razors and solution to get off so I just wondered. Nothing has been simple or easy with the bronco so I wanted to be prepared. Hopefully this question helps another in the future.
Was meant to be funny in that all of us are bit by the extended duration jobs, me every time I work on something. I know you do your own work and been doing a good job with it. Good luck with the carpet and hopefully it goes better than expected!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys and gals! I got that carpet removed. It took me and the guy 3 hours. It was a horrible experience to say the least. You were right, the seatbelt bolts at the floor and the rear seat bracket bolts were crazy. Luckily after much lubing and time and breaker bars and long jack handle to assist the breaker bar, we got them out. Now all the same bolts on my truck are worse and refusing to move and stripping in some cases. this is after months of lubing to prepare for this moment as I am also changing out my seat belts and removing the rear seat brackets. If I didn't know better I'd surely believe they were welded in!! I'm going to research the grinding thing mention in robbz28 post above. Just hoping not to grind and damage the threaded bolt holes. You are right about the PITA comment!! I forgot why I wanted carpet in the first place. Joy sucking job!!! see ya

1 - 10 of 10 Posts