Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing An SAS to my f150 in the near future. I was given a complete, right down to the calipers, Dana44HP from a '79 f150. Problem is it has the cast wedges for the radius arms and i really want to run leafs up front.

Fabrication is no problem for me, I can build pretty much anything, i have access to a machine shop and welders.

To my point, has anyone ever modified/built something for these axles to accept leafs? I just want to toss around ideas.

I know the axle doesnt have any axle tube inside of the cast wedges. Could I remove the entire cast piece of the axle, sleeve it, then weld on a spring perch?

Another idea i had was machining a piece of stock to fit on top of the cast wedges to accept a leaf? I can take pictures with a mock up to show what i mean? would this be fairly safe?

Give opinions and ideas, just dont tell me to get another axle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I plan on doing An SAS to my f150 in the near future. I was given a complete, right down to the calipers, Dana44HP from a '79 f150. Problem is it has the cast wedges for the radius arms and i really want to run leafs up front.

Fabrication is no problem for me, I can build pretty much anything, i have access to a machine shop and welders.

To my point, has anyone ever modified/built something for these axles to accept leafs? I just want to toss around ideas.

I know the axle doesnt have any axle tube inside of the cast wedges. Could I remove the entire cast piece of the axle, sleeve it, then weld on a spring perch?

Another idea i had was machining a piece of stock to fit on top of the cast wedges to accept a leaf? I can take pictures with a mock up to show what i mean? would this be fairly safe?

Give opinions and ideas, just dont tell me to get another axle.
You should have no problems cutting off the wedges then adding leaf mounts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have no problems cutting off the wedges then adding leaf mounts.
This would seriously weaken the axle, just cutting the wedges off. These year axles were a two piece design and used the cast wedges to join the main section of the axle tube to the outer section with the knuckle, the axle tube is not one piece under the wedges.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,880 Posts
you will have more fab involved going leaf sprung then stick with the coils. why recreate the wheel here? what are you looking to gain by going with leafs vs coils?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Money mostly. I have pretty much everything i need to do a leaf sas at my fingertips., except a proper axle. If i wanted to stay with the coils I would need to buy higher lift coils, it hurts my head thinking about all the linkages invloved with a coil sas. I would also need new radius arms and panhard rod, since they were all torched in half when the PO removed the axle.

If I had deep pockets i would stay with coils for a nicer ride, then again if i had deep pockets i would drive my truck a lot more, its mostly just a woods buggy i wheel a bit.

Since i have most everything at my disposal for fabrication, hangers, brackets etc are no trouble

Plus leafs are easier to lift and i always loved the look of them older chevys with leafs up front.

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
then sell the 44 you got and get a 44hd, which is in the f250's of that year....they are 8 lug, slightly more heavy duty, and set up for leafs from the factory.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been looking, and still am, for one in my area. hard stuff to find.

Saw a Dana 60 just sell for 2500$.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After thinking about it and really looking long and hard at the axle i decided against doing all the work.

Im in Canada and doubt you are haha, thanks for the offer though.

I think ill keep looking for a leaf sprung axle, or if i get in the money a set of d60's :rockon: I have a couple d60 rears i could sell. hmmmm

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thats what I say. If you're wanting a leaf spring suspension get a dana 60 front and rear, or dana 60 front and a 10.25 rear.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've been looking, and still am, for one in my area. hard stuff to find.

Saw a Dana 60 just sell for 2500$.
WHAT! Dang, I can buy a dana 60 for about $200 bucks, with the suspension and all the linkages.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Holy fawk thats a deal. Were are you located?
Conway, South Carolina. I can get them from Don's Car crushing. He has a little junk yard in the the back.

He keeps trading out the junk vehicles when people get all the parts they want off it, so he keeps getting new stuff.

He also sells: Transfercase $100
transmission $150
Engine $300
Axles (w/suspension and linkages) $150-$200

He also test all these parts, and writes on the doors what good and bad.

I actually bought my Solid axle Dana 44 and 9" from him off of a 79 f150. $300 for complete axles(hub to hub), suspension, linkages, radius arms, coil buckets, shock towers, and radius arm brackets.

Keep in mine its on the safe side to put new bearing ect in the axles

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,880 Posts
the d44/9inch are cheap on the west coast but the D60's range from 750-1500. these can range from ball joint to kingpin styles.

·
Registered
837 Posts
He also had a f350 (complete front dana 60) and f250 (complete 10.25) there, And he told me $400 for those axles, with all the linkages, suspension.

It was only $50 buck more per axles, but I would have to convert my F150 the leaf spring. So I went with the Dana 44 and 9"

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
man if i was you id snatch up one if not two of those for yourself, and then be pulling others...you could easily make more than a 600 dollar profit on the 60's if you were to turn around and sell em.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
man if i was you id snatch up one if not two of those for yourself, and then be pulling others...you could easily make more than a 600 dollar profit on the 60's if you were to turn around and sell em.
X2, I would snatch them up in a heart beat. I am hoping to get one for myself in the near future.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
Vegas has a ton of junk yards in town and I can't find a kingpin 60 for less than $1000. I have seen the newer balljoint 60s go for around $500, but they are just not what I want. I did pick up my 79' D44 for $127 though, and I can get a 14 bolt or a 10.25 for $100 any day in the yard.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Vegas has a ton of junk yards in town and I can't find a kingpin 60 for less than $1000. I have seen the newer balljoint 60s go for around $500, but they are just not what I want. I did pick up my 79' D44 for $127 though, and I can get a 14 bolt or a 10.25 for $100 any day in the yard.
Around here (north Florida) you can get just about any rear axle for scrap prices (17 cents a lb) But the front axles is a whole other story. Can you get a 2005 or newer 60 for $500?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts