Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
So after 2 yrs, my bronco is finally on the road and closer to the trails. I went to get it aligned and was told that there was nothing they could do. I have a 6in lift with extended radius arms and put the adjustable camber bushings in. They said the toe in was right on, but the caster/camber 'was too far out' to be fixed. Said it was a good 6 degrees out and that the only way to fix it was to get the drop down brackets for the radius arms. Extended arms don't use drop down brackets--do they? So, my question is: Does anyone make a bushing that corrects up to 5 or 6 degrees? Or is there another way to remedy this?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I need a bit more info, like the brand of lift kit, brand of the adj camber bushings, and the distance you moved the stock radius arm brackets back from the stock location. Most ext arms will require the factory brackets to be moved about 14 to 15 inches further back from the stock mounting point. That will have an effect on the caster, but usually cannot be adjusted except for actually moving the brackets forward or rearward a small amount. You can check out the Explorer Pro Comp website tech sheet for their adj camber bushings. There is a chart for setting them from zero to two degrees positive or negative. IF your caster is that far off, you may need to move those brackets for the ext arms quite a bit, say close to an inch. You can get in the ballpark by lining up the coil springs as close to vertical as possible, and use a plumb bob or bolt on a string hanging from the fender. IF the coil spring is angled severly enough one way or the other, it may even be hitting one of the shocks (quad shock setup). JSM84

Look up part no. 532 for the 83-94 Ford F-150:

http://www.explorerprocomp.com/tech_instructions.php

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I believe the arms are from rancho-(j/y find). they are moved back EXACTLY 15 inches. The camber bushings are from BDS and go upto 2 3/4 degr. The whole lift is parts from this and that. That is just what the alignment tech said to me. Hope that helps..

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Here's a diagram from Roadkill that explains the camber/caster issues when lifting the TTB:

Instead of using the drop brackets for the stock radius arms, using the extended radius arms and stock mounting brackets will normally correct the bad caster angle. If the ext arms are 15 inches longer than the factory arms, you would expect to re-locate the factory bracket 15 inches further back like you have done. I suspect that the brackets need to be moved forward 1/2 to 1 inch to reduce your caster angle, and get it back within specs of the adj bushings. That was exactly the case on my 6" Skyjacker lift kit with the ext arms, which I ended up moving the stock brackets back 14 inches instead of 15" per the instructions. A pic of your current situation would be helpful, too, to see if this is your problem. JSM84

In this pic from my 84 Bronco, it shows the axle beam at full extension and the tendency of the radius arm to try and pull the beam back under the truck. That is the effect it has on the caster. Since there is no adjustment either on the ext arm itself, the only real adjustment you can make is to move the frame mounting bracket. The frame is actually angled slightly down from front to rear, too:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts