Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our tires are sitting like this / \ I think it's because the balljoints are shot.. The allignment cams and nuts are still there.

what do you guys think? I'll post pics up in a bit..

(I put caster in the title, but I meant CAMBER) heh..

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
That's camber, not caster. It could be your balljoints, have you checked them yet? Could also be wheel bearings, improper lift brackets/springs and/or camber bushings. What it really is is the F'n TTB BS though!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Make sure you are looking at the camber angle of the tires after driving forword.It is normal for the tires to be tipped in at the top if you look at them after backing up(on a TTB front end).

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I meant camber.. Sorry was in a hurry when I posted it..

The tires were straight up and down last weekend.. I think the balljoints went out.. Just thought I'd try and get more opions.. The lift brackets are correct could be wheel bearings.. Hmmm pics are coming soon

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the pics.. Front then drivers BJ then passenger BJ

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't blame you for asking.. You never know what a person knows.. I did have the allignment done by a profesional.. Someone I know personally who knows what they're doing.. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed that in the picture you are backed into that parking spot (truck behind you, building behind the other truck). Make sure you drive forward a good bit before you check your camber (just like bronco1 said). My tires look like that on my '94 F250 when I back into a parking spot, and I know my ball joints are not bad, because I just replaced them when I did the SAS Dana 60 swap. So to add to what bronco1 said; ball jointed straight axles will also cause your tires to kick in at the top when you back up, not sure about king pins?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I posted this and before I put the pictures up we went out to dinner and pulled into a spot forwards and the tires were striaight.. But we always back into the driveway and her parking spots at work, and the tires never kicked in that much.

Could wheel bearings cause it to be that bad?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
How long have you had those wheels and tires? I know when I changed from 8 in wide to 10 inch rims I had to re-align cuz with 2 more inches of rim there is more leverage on the springs to compress. It looks as though they have been installed a while though. Just thought I'd ask. Other than that the only thing it can be is it needs re-aligned(you said it was already done once professionally) because of spring settle, ball joints or you just backed up.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that size tires were on it when we bought it.. I had it alligned after we bought it.. So it's been a long time

My wife called me and said she had an allignment shop check it out they said it was just the wheelbearings and that the bj's were good..

hmmm now to get home and look at it for myself

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I thought I tightened up the bearings good when I rotated the tires 2 weeks ago..

Well I didn't take off the brakes so they felt tight, but that was because of the messed up caliper was sticking.. So last night I pulled off the caliper and spun the rotor.. Holy geeze.. it spun forever.. The bearings were so loose.. Well I tightened them up and saw that the caliper is jacked up.. So I'll be doing a full brake system replacement this weekend.. :(

Needless to say the tire is straight now. woohooo!

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
40" boggers on a D44 ttb... I'd be getting used to the idea of changing balljoints more regularly than usual ;)

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Suprisingly the BJ's are great.. :chili: But ya, 40's do tend to wear our parts a lot faster. ;) As long as the woman is happy I'm happy right? :whip

We'll just say I'm getting to become a pretty decent bronco mechanic.. :rockon

·
Registered
511 Posts
How old are the springs? Have they been on there for a while? They could be settling /wearing out.:shrug

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ahaha.. that's classic.. I didn't even think about that.. :)

Dunno how old the springs are, but I've solved the /\ issues with the wheel bearings..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts