Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys... Here we go! Got some info I need some help on... It's an '82 FSB, with a 351????? My last thread helped us realize that since the water inlet goes into the block (either cleveland or modified) NOT intake (windsor)...

But now I have a casting number for the block, to HOPEFULLY better tell which engine/type I have....

My reading is: D2AE-CA (agree?) The 'lower' number is or what I could tell
'3E8' or '3E0'

I also have a couple of questions identifying other aspects of my bronco... First is the rear differential... It has 10 'gasket' bolts... AND 5 bolts that appear to be holding the 'yoke' to the differential, and it has 4.9.75 stamped on it... I'm so unfamiliar with Ford, that I didn't know that to change the gasket (differential) you had to drop the drive shaft, as MY differential gasket bolts are on the inside!!! (Facing the front of the truck)

Ok... Next... The transmission has a 17-bolt pan, and has 73A stamped on the passenger side... Have no idea what that means.... The transfer case has 'C-13683' stamped on it, with a bunch of other series of number, but those were the 'bigger' ones...

Any help with any of these at ALL guys would be GREATLY appeciated!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
That my friend is a 351 cleveland block from a Cobra Jet package from 1971-74. Obviously, it has been swapped in. I would have expected it to be a 351M from the factory.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, the 'engine sticker' under the hood states THIS bronco came with a
5.0L (guessing 302)

Ok... What does that mean???????? Good engine... I know ENOUGH to know that the 'Cleveland' to some is more valuable (low-end torgue build and rarer), but now 'Cobra Jet' package???? Not sure what, if any, 'added bonus' that means? Also, what 'application' do I tell the local 'parts department' when I need gaskets, seals, etc. for the engine... A 1972-74 Ford ???? with the 351 clevleand 'cobra jet'????

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
The best small block ford ever made. It had to come out of a ford car such as a Torino or Mustang etc. For a bronco, you really need 2v heads on it to get the torque in the correct place. It cold have 4-bolt mains.

Get the head casting # if you can and the intake casting #.

The 351C, unlike the 351M and 400 will bolt up to any tranny that will bolt up to a 302 or 351W.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BlueBronco said:
The best small block ford ever made. It had to come out of a ford car such as a Torino or Mustang etc. For a bronco, you really need 2v heads on it to get the torque in the correct place. It cold have 4-bolt mains.BlueBronco=QUOTE]

OK, well, WOW... Then in YOUR opinion, I have the 'BEST' small block ever made... NOW, where can I find the head casting numbers? And does it matter if they are 2V or 4V? And I'm planning on dropping the oil pan in the next few days... And I was told to figure out whether it was 2/4 bolt main, its all in how many (obvisouly 2/4) bolts hold the main bearings or crank in each location????? Not real sure about that one.. Again any advice/insight would be great!!!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
That engine will need to be built a certain way to do well in an FSB, one of which is to have 2v heads because the intake runners etc are way to big on the 4v heads to produce enough torque low enough in the rpm band.

Running the 2v cleveland head in an FSB would be somewhat like running a World Roush 200 iron head on a 351W.

The casting number for the head will look similar to the block number and will begin with a D. There are about 14 different ones it could be. Unless someone changed it, I'd bet that block came with D1ZEW-DA or D2ZE-A or D3ZE-AA. Those heads would be great in a Torino but suck in a truck. For the FSB, you would need a 2v head like D0AE-E, D0AE-J, D1AE-AA or D1AE-CB. All D0AE heads aren't 2v so the letters after the hyphen matter. If I remember correctly, the casting is on the spark plug side of the head just below the valve cover rail.

Your are correct in that the only way to tell 4-bolt or 2-bolt is to drop the pan and count.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... Then I have the "BEST" small block ever made by Ford, but used in a horrible way? According to my heads, huh?

Count the bolts holding each bearing up?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
kennyjr1976 said:
So... Then I have the "BEST" small block ever made by Ford, but used in a horrible way? According to my heads, huh? ?
Maybe, it depends on what the person that did the swap did to the engine and whether or not he swapped heads.

kennyjr1976 said:
Count the bolts holding each bearing up?
The main bearings, not the rod bearings.

Is your intake aluminum?

Edit: Your rear end sounds like an 8.8 and the early 80s ones really suck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BlueBronco said:
Maybe, it depends on what the person that did the swap did to the engine and whether or not he swapped heads.

The main bearings, not the rod bearings.

Is your intake aluminum?

Edit: Your rear end sounds like an 8.8 and the early 80s ones really suck.
Not sure about the intake... And not really sure how to tell... I was told that there could/should be a casting number under the coil, on top of the intake, is that correct?

How can you tell the difference in the differentials? W/O casting numbers? Interally? Measurements?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
kennyjr1976 said:
Not sure about the intake... And not really sure how to tell... I was told that there could/should be a casting number under the coil, on top of the intake, is that correct? ?
Usually.

kennyjr1976 said:
How can you tell the difference in the differentials? W/O casting numbers? Interally? Measurements?
A picture would help. if it has a removable cover, it is likely an 8.8, if not a 9" if it is a 5 lug axle.

Also, are you sure you are right on the tranny pan bolts being 17? :scratchhe I would expect it to have a C6 or possibly a FMX from the donor maybe but I'm not sure what they would have done with the tail housing. The FMX would have an iron case also.

This is the kind of shit I used to stumble into!!:rofl:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BlueBronco said:
Usually.

A picture would help. if it has a removable cover, it is likely an 8.8, if not a 9" if it is a 5 lug axle.

Also, are you sure you are right on the tranny pan bolts being 17? :scratchhe I would expect it to have a C6 or possibly a FMX from the donor maybe but I'm not sure what they would have done with the tail housing. The FMX would have an iron case also.

This is the kind of shit I used to stumble into!!:rofl:
Yea, well I don't really mind the shit I've stumbled onto... Its just more of figuring out what the hell I've got! Ok... I thought the 'pan bolts' on the trans would tell me, or get me close... Any other 'identifier'?

As far as the differential goes... First off, I've never really noticed a Ford before, mainly been around Jeeps/GM's, and they all have the removeable covers from the rear... This does NOT! Where the driveshaft goes into the diff., or I guess where the yoke is, or in that 'portion of the chunck', there is an area, where 5 bolts look like they attach the 'yoke-area'.... And then on back, but not completely 'half-way' (again i'm thinking like a GM diff., where the cover was almost 1/2 of the thickness of the diff), there are 10 bolts... I figured it was a 'cover' of sorts... Not the 'typical' cover you can buy at an auto parts store... Again, ALL of the bolts are on the 'inside' (i.e. drivetrain, NOT towards back of bko).... My brother (though he really doesn't know, just speculating), thought it was a rather 'heavy duty' or large 'chunk'.... Again, any advice, short of a photo?

And if you want a photo? Which angle is the best? Front/Rear? Left side/right side? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
kennyjr1976 said:
Yea, well I don't really mind the shit I've stumbled onto... Its just more of figuring out what the hell I've got! Ok... I thought the 'pan bolts' on the trans would tell me, or get me close... Any other 'identifier'? .
Its the 17 bolts that's throwing me a curve. I would expect more for a an E4OD which isn't likely to be in there or less for a C6 or AOD.

kennyjr1976 said:
As far as the differential goes... First off, I've never really noticed a Ford before, mainly been around Jeeps/GM's, and they all have the removeable covers from the rear... This does NOT! . . .
Thats a Ford 9" with 31 spline axles. Get the axle code of the door decal and I can decode the ratio and whether its open or ls.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How can you tell it is the 9"? B/c of no cover? The way I described it?

And no chance on the door decals.... And not sure I even want to attemp 'counting' the teeth in the gear to figure out what the ratio is... LOL... So is the 9" better than the 8.8?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BlueBronco said:
Its the 17 bolts that's throwing me a curve. I would expect more for a an E4OD which isn't likely to be in there or less for a C6 or AOD.

Thats a Ford 9" with 31 spline axles. Get the axle code of the door decal and I can decode the ratio and whether its open or ls.
OH, how can you tell it to be an 'infamous' 9"? Just b/c it doesn't have a cover? And door code????? LOL... you must have not see a photo of the body....
The good side (but I know wrong door)

And the door we need.... (needless to say, NOTHING on it, tags or anything readable)...

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
kennyjr1976 said:
How can you tell it is the 9"? B/c of no cover? The way I described it?

And no chance on the door decals.... And not sure I even want to attemp 'counting' the teeth in the gear to figure out what the ratio is... LOL... So is the 9" better than the 8.8?
In this case, the "no cover" = 9" and in the early 80s it was definately better than the 8.8. There are other ford axles that used this design in previous years though.

Will the door not open or is the ID decal missing?

Where are you?

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
BlueBronco said:
The 351C, unlike the 351M and 400 will bolt up to any tranny that will bolt up to a 302 or 351W.

simply not true. there is rare 351m/400 blocks from thier early years which were small block bells

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BlueBronco said:
In this case, the "no cover" = 9" and in the early 80s it was definately better than the 8.8. There are other ford axles that used this design in previous years though.

Will the door not open or is the ID decal missing?

Where are you?
Decals missing..... Took the door off.... Nothing.... I'm about 35 miles north of atlanta, ga.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
jopes said:
simply not true. there is rare 351m/400 blocks from thier early years which were small block bells
The "early" years for the 351m would be 1975 meaning the block would likely be a rare one from 70 or 71 400 block. But I haven't seen a casting number for a 400 with small bell pattern nor have I seen one. He doesn't have a 400 block so its a moot point.

KennyJr1976, there should be a tag on the axle somewhere that would have the ratio info etc.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
BlueBronco said:
The "early" years for the 351m would be 1975 meaning the block would likely be a rare one from 70 or 71 400 block. But I haven't seen a casting number for a 400 with small bell pattern nor have I seen one. He doesn't have a 400 block so its a moot point.

the only reason why I say 351m, is someone could have taken the 400 and built it into a 351m. now consider yourself edjumicated.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts