Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
both,. front is a pre cat, and heats up faster.
both are needed to pass emessions, the front one can someitmes be gotten away without having, as it is just basically for cold starts, and then adds to the after burn procedure.

typical replacement will be a single cat setup, and will work just fine.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i was thinking of removing one of them, as im going to try and move my muffler back, so i wouldnt be able to tack ONE of them back up?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cause im relocating my exhaust to in front of the back tire, and in order to do so, need to move my muffler back, so i was planning on removing one so i can do so... oh well, i'll just get a new one...

as for federal offense, im in texas, and nobody gives a DAMN about exhaust here (even though i try to keep it safe and legal)

but thanks badass and p.l..... :thumbup

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, they care in a sense that as long as you have a muffler, cat, and tip.... so i guess they give half a damn!

and i cant afford a muffler right now :) i wanna go bigger piping anyways...

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
by law a muffler is not required.
mine just has catsm and is not loud, and i can hear my self think, and does nto bother anyone on the trail.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well im more concerned with sound than loudness.... i want my truck to actually SOUND GOOD (and im not saying yours doesnt), cause its a street truck as well..... and thats just how i am.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up Kenny. I've also got a 91 and I'm going to need to so some exhaust work. Whoever had the truck before me cut the exhaust right after the muffler. I can get away with that for now but its not the best long-term solution. I've been wondering about the pre-cat deal....did all 91's have them or just 302 models? I've got a 351 and there is only one there.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well theres your solution! hold on, let me go check my bro's.....

alright.. he has an 87 351, and it looks EXACTLY like the one above - so theyre the same :thumbup

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
yes they do, but you can get a single 3-way cat form catco and cut down on the restriction/louden the truck up/be cheaper/be all around better with the 3-way.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much could i get a cheap, crappy cat from like autozone for? its just gonna be for guttin out, so sound doesnt matter.... :brownbag

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:twak

DAMN, 80 bucks... is it illegal to remove both of my cats, and then hook up the second one like a regular cat, or would they know?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Jaxboro said:
I've been wondering about the pre-cat deal....did all 91's have them or just 302 models?
Far as I know pretty much all 87-96 F-Series and Bko's have the precat/cat deal.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
KENNY said:
:twak

DAMN, 80 bucks... is it illegal to remove both of my cats, and then hook up the second one like a regular cat, or would they know?
you can legally remove then, and install a single replacemnet, but it is illegal to tamper with them, and yes, even with a full exhuast on it they can easily tell if there is catalist material in the cats.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BadassBronco said:
and yes, even with a full exhuast on it they can easily tell if there is catalist material in the cats.
how? and can i replace them with the back one as my replacement?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts