Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two broncos that both need exhaust work. One is an 88 and the other is a 95. Neither have converters on them. The 95 is tagged with antique plates and I plan to tag the 88 the same way. With the antique plates, I dont need an inspection sticker for restricted use, so I they are not a must. That being said, I would prefer to have them.

I actually have a couple sets from parts vehicles I have bought and and later sold. One set is from a 94 F150 and the other from a 96 f150. I dont know what they are worth but I have been told that I should sell them and buy universal cats for the broncos.

So, I have 2 questions. Does anyone know what the cats inhave are worth. I dont need an exact number, just want an idea of what to expect so I dont get swindled.

Question two, does anyone have a recommendation for a decent universal cat that is affordable. I plan to put dual exhaust on both, so, I'll need 4 of them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
I have two broncos that both need exhaust work. One is an 88 and the other is a 95. Neither have converters on them. The 95 is tagged with antique plates and I plan to tag the 88 the same way. With the antique plates, I dont need an inspection sticker for restricted use, so I they are not a must. That being said, I would prefer to have them.

I actually have a couple sets from parts vehicles I have bought and and later sold. One set is from a 94 F150 and the other from a 96 f150. I dont know what they are worth but I have been told that I should sell them and buy universal cats for the broncos.

So, I have 2 questions. Does anyone know what the cats inhave are worth. I dont need an exact number, just want an idea of what to expect so I dont get swindled.

Question two, does anyone have a recommendation for a decent universal cat that is affordable. I plan to put dual exhaust on both, so, I'll need 4 of them.

1. NO dual exhaust on a bronco. The forum determined many years ago there is no correct way to route the exhaust. a 3" single exhaust is the way to go on a bronco
2. Factory dual cats off a 87-96 is worth $400-500 per vehicle in the current market if sold to a processor.
3. Catco 2.5 into 3" high flow cat

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,072 Posts
Just an fyi on the antique plates... You could register with classic tags and avoid the emissions thing generally in most states without the driving restrictions that come with antique tags. Just sayin...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. NO dual exhaust on a bronco. The forum determined many years ago there is no correct way to route the exhaust. a 3" single exhaust is the way to go on a bronco
2. Factory dual cats off a 87-96 is worth $400-500 per vehicle in the current market if sold to a processor.
3. Catco 2.5 into 3" high flow cat
That's good info. Thank you. The 88 had dual exhaust but the previous owner had cut the mufflers off for scrap and was planning to scrap the rest of the truck. I can tell that by what's left that routing was a problem.

I did initially plan to go with a single system, but I dont have a good set of y-pipes. The 95 does have a complete exhaust but the y pipe has a decent leak it. The muffler shop suggest that going back with dual exhaust would be a little cheaper. I dont know that he considered how he would route them them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an fyi on the antique plates... You could register with classic tags and avoid the emissions thing generally in most states without the driving restrictions that come with antique tags. Just sayin...
I will look into that. I'm in WV. There is a classic tag option that is slightly cheaper than regular plates. As you expected, it does not have the driving restrictions that the antique plates have. The classic tag does require an inspection sticker and we just have a single inspection sticker. I will double check but I believe part of that inspection is verifying the that the converters are in place. I know people regularly just hollow old cats out and reinstall them to get around it.

I just dont like breathing the fumes.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,602 Posts
I also have had good luck with the vibrant race cat. Less restrictive, but still cuts the fumes.
Agree on the dual exhaust. The only way to do it correctly, in my opinion, is to go to fenderwell exit headers and run them down the outside of the frame rails. That is not for everyone or every build though either

·
Super Moderator
28,162 Posts
Yo Stich,
Suggest you consider Walker cats, etc since they produced exhaust system for our Broncos to Ford.
For example a 95 5.0;

TUBE YES
BODY HEIGHT 4.500"
BODY LENGTH13.500"
BODY MATERIAL STAINLESS STEEL
BODY SHAPE LARGE OVAL
BODY WIDTH 7.500"
CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD (CARB) CERTIFIED NO
CONVERTER QUANTITY 1
INLET 1 INSIDE DIAMETER 2.625"
INLET 1 TYPE 2 BOLT LOOSE FLANGE WITH SPHERICAL FLARE
INLET 2 INSIDE DIAMETER 2.625"
INLET 2 TYPE 2 BOLT LOOSE FLANGE WITH SPHERICAL FLARE
INLET QUANTITY 2
INLET TYPE2 BOLT SPHERICAL FLARE LOOSE FLANGE
MOUNTING HARDWARE INCLUDED YES
OUTLET 1 OUTSIDE DIAMETER 2.250"
OUTLET 1 TYPE PIPE CONNECTION
OUTLET QUANTITY1
OUTLET TYPE PIPE CONNECTION
OVERALL LENGTH 77.500"
OXYGEN SENSOR LOCATION PRE CATALYST
UNIVERSAL OR SPECIFIC FIT SPECIFIC
SUBSTRATE MATERIAL CERAMIC

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,732 Posts
Around here we've had a lot of trouble with cats being stolen. One of my brothers lost 2 during the night. Another brother had 1 partially cut off during the night, but something spooked the thieves before they finished. I lost 1 while parked at the first brother's house in broad daylight. A neighbor's ring video recorded the theft at about noon. There was a tree trimmer running a chipper in the neighborhood that covered the noise of the sawzall. I have heard that some teams use a revved up motorcycle to cover the sound. All 4 were stock Ford trucks from 1995 to 2003.

When the exhaust shop replaced mine, the guy said that the replacement was unlikely to be stolen because it didn't contain the same precious metals that the original did.

Whatever you get, I'd suggest you make sure that it's one that won't be wanted by thieves.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,918 Posts
When I redid my exhaust (single outlet 3 inch) I went with the magnaflow high performance 3-way cat. I've been very happy with it..

Reactions: mleydekkers

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,591 Posts
Im running a small magnaflow spun metallicat on my 85. Just looks like a glasspack. Works great for reducing fumes, which is the sole reason I used a cat. No inspections here, with or without antique tags.

Reactions: CrazyBRONCOguy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for those suggestions. I'll take at look at them. I definitely dont want to just buy the cheapest thing out there but I still gotta save money for quater panels, and I'm not sure the 95's frame is worthy of a high dollar rebuild.

Ya'll certainly have convinced me to go back with a single line. I do like the look of the dual input cats. That should save some labor by itself.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,072 Posts
I will look into that. I'm in WV. There is a classic tag option that is slightly cheaper than regular plates. As you expected, it does not have the driving restrictions that the antique plates have. The classic tag does require an inspection sticker and we just have a single inspection sticker. I will double check but I believe part of that inspection is verifying the that the converters are in place. I know people regularly just hollow old cats out and reinstall them to get around it.

I just dont like breathing the fumes.

Well... Cats would be part of the emissions (at least here in pa) and on my 82 having the cat hasn't eliminated the fumes. Yes you'll still have to do a "safety inspection" but it eliminates the whole emission issue and antique plates restrictions. Also in pa at least with state farm insurance they also don't put any restrictions on you like they would with antique policies.

·
Premium Member
1989 XLT 5.0 - Auto Trans, Manual Hubs
170 Posts
Being in CA, I recently put a new cat on mine as well and ran new pipe from the cat back. The previous owner redid the exhaust but used a smaller diameter and gauge exhaust tubing. I can't tell you what brand the cat is but I did put a Flowmaster muffler on and 3" new pipe. Cost me about $900 out the door but definitely sounds (and smells) a hell of a lot better!!

PS - It passed CA smog too!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Around here we've had a lot of trouble with cats being stolen. One of my brothers lost 2 during the night. Another brother had 1 partially cut off during the night, but something spooked the thieves before they finished. I lost 1 while parked at the first brother's house in broad daylight. A neighbor's ring video recorded the theft at about noon. There was a tree trimmer running a chipper in the neighborhood that covered the noise of the sawzall. I have heard that some teams use a revved up motorcycle to cover the sound. All 4 were stock Ford trucks from 1995 to 2003.

When the exhaust shop replaced mine, the guy said that the replacement was unlikely to be stolen because it didn't contain the same precious metals that the original did.

Whatever you get, I'd suggest you make sure that it's one that won't be wanted by thieves.
It is a huge problem here also. Our church even had the cats stolen off of the church bus.

I have had the same thought with regard to not putting high price cats.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,732 Posts
Fwiw, Magnaflow 4451300 was the description on the invoice when they replaced my stolen cat. It was installed on a 99 f250 super duty 6.8l v10 crew. The exhaust guy thought the thieves wouldn't want this one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fwiw, Magnaflow 4451300 was the description on the invoice when they replaced my stolen cat. It was installed on a 99 f250 super duty 6.8l v10 crew. The exhaust guy thought the thieves wouldn't want this one.
Um... I'm guessing its cause it is California compliant but amazon is listing that at almost 1300 bucks.

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
230 Posts
Whatever cat you put in or if you want to keep your stock cat from getting stolen. Wrap that sucker good and the corresponding connection pipe pieces with some 3/8" or 1/2" braided steel cable that has loops on the ends, then pad lock the ends together. A sawzall with a metal blade can't cut through steel braided cable or the padlock since it just moves back and forth with the blade and doesn't cut it.

They could still cut the cable with an abrasive cut off wheel on a grinder, then unwind it, but then that is three times as long as they have to be under the vehicle and requires two different tools. Hopefully they just pass over yours and look for one without the pain in the ass steel cable around it.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,131 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts