Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Ford-a-Holic
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,287 Posts
Time and money, they won't get any less for it and they sure as hell won't get any more for it if they use the drain plug.
They cost a few pennies and most people don't notice them. I'm sure if you search the web, you'll find stories of people buying JY motors and installing them in their cars, only to have the plug melt and fall out causing their engines to seize. Then you get to buy another motor all over again. 🆒

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Time and money, they won't get any less for it and they sure as hell won't get any more for it if they use the drain plug.
They cost a few pennies and most people don't notice them. I'm sure if you search the web, you'll find stories of people buying JY motors and installing them in their cars, only to have the plug melt and fall out causing their engines to seize. Then you get to buy another motor all over again. 🆒

I mean I haven't looked at a ton of oil pans in the JYs where I live, but this was the first time I had noticed plugs in the pans. I think it's specific to that yard though, maybe due to its size (large). I'm fairly certain the other yards don't do it as most of them don't allow you to pull the engines yourself. One of them is part of the network where you can look stuff up on car-part.com and they test the compression on everything that comes in and they pull the engines when you want them.

I was perusing some more Power Nation videos on Youtube and actually came across one that had a few seconds showing a guy doing exactly what you described.

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,287 Posts
I like how they showed you "How To" break off the water pump bolt in the block when removing a timing chain cover on a 351W, lol.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Sold my headers.

The guy I sold them to is apparently part of the southern Idaho Ford parts circle as it would seem. He knows the guy I bought my F-100 from 5-6 years ago. He knows the guy I sold my Bronco's carb to and who's always on FB parting out these 73-79 trucks along with a few other dudes I see selling things online. He told me to let him know if there's anything Ford I need and to hit him up, which I guess is nice. (y)

I think I'm going to sell off my MSD stuff as well. I'm going to try and use as much factory stuff as I can in an effort to save some cash for down the road. I'm going to keep the Edelbrock intake as I'll need that one and I'll probably keep the Street Demon 850cfm carb, but I think everything else that's aftermarket that I have saved can go. Unless of course I want to run a 460 with a 2bbl carb as that's the only other functional carb I have on hand.

Anyone interested in an MSD Pro Billet distributor (8577) and an analog 6A box? lol

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
I'm putting the D0VE 460 on the back burner for now. I'm keeping it wrapped up, so hopefully it lasts through the winter weather until I decide to move forward with it.

I stopped by the machine shop today and got the ball rolling. We went over a general parts list for the 460 at the shop and I put a grand down so he can get all the parts and start the machine work. The only significant differences between this 460 and the one I blew up will be the cam and the headers. I'll be using manifolds since I have them on hand and this 460 will be going into the Bronco, so that should make fitting the exhaust easy. I also went up one step on the cam for something with just a touch more lift and duration. The fuel system will also be different I guess with the old one being carbed and this one will have the Holley Sniper that's already in the Bronco.

I've been rounding up some more parts to sell. While I was at the machine shop I had them take off the broken distributor gear on my MSD distributor and press on a new one I had ordered. I cleaned it up as much as possible, inside and out, and it's ready to go.

I also have what appears to be a cheap HEI distributor that came on the 80's 460 when I bought it. It slipped off where I set it down a few months back and busted the cap, but the rest of it is fine and I think I can get a few bucks for it, but probably not much as a brand new one like it is probably like $60.

I snagged the crank gear off my crank at the machine shop and gathered the rest of the gear drive I have and that will be disappearing with everything else.

And last, but not least, I got the MSD 6A box from out of the back of the Bronco and I'll get that out of here as well. Hopefully, these few items will give me a nice chunk to put towards the parts and machine work as well.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Figured I'd toss in a few pics since threads are useless without them.

Here's the MSD distributor with the new gear pressed on.

Gear drive.

Cheap HEI distributor. Needs a new cap for sure.

Old analog 6A box and loomed harness.

I have a Holley 4bbl carb I need to dig out and see if it's worth messing with. It was on the 80's 460 when I bought it, but it looked like it was missing some linkage. Not sure if it's worth anything, but I held onto it just in case.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
So I've got two sets of manifolds I'll be using. One set I know will fit my truck as the chassis they were in before is the same in the engine compartment as mine is (regular cab vs supercab). The other set came from a mid-80's 4x4, so I'm assuming they'll work in my Bronco. I'll probably take them out to the Bronco and "visualize" them in there and see if the exits on them will work. As long as they aren't pointing at the frame I'd imagine things would be fine. I really don't want to clearance things.

I think I'll get them blasted and powder coated like I did the headers. I suppose I could do it cheap and just wire wheel them and rattle can, but the money I got from selling my headers should cover the cost to have both sets of manifolds blasted and coated.

What color do you guys think looks better? The shop I go to only has like 3-4 high temp colors that they use. One is black, one is grey, and I can't remember what the third one was, probably a metallic grey of sorts. The last headers I had done that I sold were the grey color. The headers I have on my Bronco are a 50/50 mix of the black and the grey. I kinda like the 50/50 mix better.

50/50 black and grey

Straight grey

Now that I look at the pics I think the 50/50 might use that metallic looking grey. You can kinda see how it sparkles just a little bit in the sunlight. I'm still not decided on what color the engine will be painted, so I'm tossing ideas around in my head and thinking which colors would play better with each other. I'm still leaning towards a red engine as blasphemous as that may be for a Ford. I had it red before in my old truck and really liked it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Red's not unheard of... didn't ford use red on their long blocks in the mid to late 50's?

Red engine, black valve covers and argent silver breather - it's not blasphemous, you are just being nostalgic!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Red's not unheard of... didn't ford use red on their long blocks in the mid to late 50's?

Red engine, black valve covers and argent silver breather - it's not blasphemous, you are just being nostalgic!
I have no idea what Ford used way back. I'm sure manufacturers have changed colors over time. I just know anytime someone saw my red engine in my old truck that I was questioned on it. "Why not Ford blue?" I honestly don't care what color an engine is, I just know the purists get in knots over it.

The only thing I don't like is more than two colors on an engine if it can be helped. That's why I went with red the last time. I had some unpainted aluminum parts and I had MSD ignition which is all bright red, so I had the engine painted red to match the MSD stuff and the valve covers painted silver to match the aluminum stuff and the silver ceramic headers. It looked great to me, wish I still had the pics of it from way back when. I actually had them "saved" on FTE, but they did a site change a few years back and it wiped all of my albums on there, sucked.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I dropped off some parts at the machine shop this morning after work. I don't know what else they'll need from me or if anything I dropped off isn't good, but at this point I have about 3 of everything if something isn't usable. They got all the new parts for the engine in as well.

I also dropped off both sets of manifolds at the powder coater. I'm going with the 50/50 color for both of them. I confirmed with the guy there what the 50/50 mix is and it's black and graphite rather than the plain grey I had on the last headers that were coated.

Both sets of manifolds look identical as far as the shape of them and the way the outlets face. One has more ribbing than the other, but that's about it for differences. I held up one set of manifolds under the hood of my Bronco near the exhaust and got an idea of where the outlets will be and it should all work out. I don't think it'll be an issue, but the only thing I saw that could possibly be an issue is the clutch linkage.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Got the manifolds back today. I'll get some pics of them once I get them out of the Bronco and inside the house.

I got a call from the machine shop as well, but my cell phone reception has gotten extremely shoddy at home recently, so I'm just going to swing by the shop to see what's up. If anything he probably just wants to verify something before doing it, so that's a good thing. I know people don't like surprises that they didn't ask for, like a higher bill than you agreed upon.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
The machine shop wanted to know if I wanted ARP rod bolts. That's a big 10-4 on that. The engine that blew up had them and they held together through that, so I know that's a sound investment.

I guess they're currently working on the rods and pistons. I'm not in a big hurry and they know that, so they're just getting things done here and there.

The owner was putting together a big block chevy in his dyno room, so I watched him do that for a few minutes while we discussed a few things before I left. I'm always fascinated by that stuff even if it's a chevy.

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,287 Posts
Let's see dem 'der fancy manifold young fella'.....

another thread this site upgrade doesn't notify me about anymore.....(n)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Here's the haul from the powder coaters. I think they turned out pretty good considering they're almost as old as @cobrajoe

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Some close ups to show the color a little better. One of the bad things from them being old is all the pitting, but there's not much I can do about all that.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Flanges. I'm not super familiar with powder coat, as the headers I've had coated are the only other things I've had done before, but it seems like it's possible to do it too thin much like you can do with regular paint. A couple of these flanges seem like the powder coat is on the thin side. You can feel a difference and actually see it as well. The powder coat is shinier on the thicker stuff. Not sure if I feel like complaining about it to them.

Pic showing the difference between the shininess of the two flanges. The one on the right is the one that feels and looks thinner/different.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
I guess someone thought my last pic was too hot for tv or something. Has an 18+ warning on it. lol

221 - 240 of 252 Posts