Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,889 Posts
I guess someone thought my last pic was too hot for tv or something. Has an 18+ warning on it. lol
Oooooh... shininess. Good thing they protected young eyes from that :doh:

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
i wouldn't sweat that...unless you're worried about the aesthetics.

it all looks good to me!
I was only concerned that the powder coat itself wouldn't hold up to the heat if it wasn't put on properly. The actual manifolds seem fine, which is good. As far as aesthetics, I want these turds polished as much as I can. lol

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,976 Posts
Here's the haul from the powder coaters. I think they turned out pretty good considering they're almost as old as @cobrajoe

1974??? Kids...... I was already walking to High School in the snow, uphill, both ways.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Looks like I'm going with "aluminum" engine enamel. I'm trying something different this time. I had originally intended to have the engine painted with some fancy base coat clear coat paint as my "something different", but realized that would be a waste as the engine compartment of my Bronco gets pretty damn muddy when I drive it off road.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Looks like I'm going with "aluminum" engine enamel. I'm trying something different this time. I had originally intended to have the engine painted with some fancy base coat clear coat paint as my "something different", but realized that would be a waste as the engine compartment of my Bronco gets pretty damn muddy when I drive it off road.
Try Rust-Oleum Matte Nickel #7277830. Pleased with how it turned out in my intake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
That matte nickel does look good and I remember the trouble you had getting that intake clean. Hopefully it holds up for a long time!

Well, my plan with the aluminum paint is to give the engine a base coat for some Dupli Color Metalcast Red as a top coat. Depending on how the aluminum looks by itself and how I feel about the Metalcast holding up, I may just forgo the Metalcast when that time comes. I just wanted to make sure that either way I went I'd be happy with the color and I think a silverish, aluminum color wouldn't look bad.

I picked up another set of "Power By Ford" script valve covers for the 460. I have one set already off the blown up engine, but I really wanted to save those for my truck. It took me a while to find a set, JY charged me $10 a cover. I'm not a big fan of chrome valve covers, so I'll be getting rid of the chrome Edelbrock valve covers and the OE covers off the 80's 460 that just have a Ford oval on them.

These came out of another mid-70's Ford truck that had a 460 swapped into it. According to the VIN it came with an FE engine. Someone had the engine loose from the perches and a hoist sort of lifting the engine up a bit from the water pump. Hope I didn't ruin their day, but I really wanted those covers. I was there for a couple of hours and no one ever showed up to mess with the engine, so I think I'm safe as far as that goes. I'm thinking I'll have these sprayed with the aluminum paint, then I'll tape off the script and spray the red Metalcast paint, so it'll leave the script the aluminum color.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
It's much faster to punch a hole, then shove a plug in it, than to remove the drain plug, which on some cars might be hashed and rounded off, not to mention getting all the oil out. Trans gets it because it's much, much less messy than taking the pan off. Why not just repair this pan? Weld a piece of scrap steel inside, boom, it's sealed!

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
I forgot that the 460 you found was a '70 with D0VE heads, nice! I moved to South Texas in the last month, and my friend Joe and I found a '71 Grand Marquis with the 460 intact. We're debating about going and fetching it. Aside from Police interceptor 460 heads, getting those D0VE heads is a perfect score!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
It's much faster to punch a hole, then shove a plug in it, than to remove the drain plug, which on some cars might be hashed and rounded off, not to mention getting all the oil out. Trans gets it because it's much, much less messy than taking the pan off. Why not just repair this pan? Weld a piece of scrap steel inside, boom, it's sealed!

That pan has the plug in the wrong location. If I kept it I'd have to do what the person before me did to their truck and cut a hole in the crossmember just so I can change the oil. I was actually under a couple more trucks today in that same JY. None of them had holes punched in them, I think the guys at that JY were just being lazy with that 460 or didn't see the drain plug since it was hiding in that crossmember. They take their sweet time getting cars ready for the yard, you can watch them in their shop at the very rear of the yard dinkin' around.

I could also have my old pan fixed and have someone weld all the holes that are throughout it along with straightening out the flanges. I'd rather just get a replacement and keep those other ideas as a last ditch effort.

I don't know if I had mentioned it or not before, but the machine shop I go to had a matching pan. Another salvage yard was able to locate one as well. I haven't picked either of them up though as that engine is being put on hold for now.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Figured I'd get this thread up to speed.

A couple weeks ago I let the machine shop know I'm ready to get things done as soon as possible as I'm no longer waiting until later in the year to put the 460 into my Bronco. I was intending on putting it in after going to Moab (if I was ready in time for the Bronco Safari), but since the Safari has been postponed until at least the fall I'm going to do it now and have a fresh engine for the Safari whenever it is held again.

The latest at this point is that they are assembling the engine at the machine shop right now over the weekend (must have nothing better to do). I'm going to drop off my MSD distributor and my Demon 850 on Monday, so they can have everything ready to dyno on Wednesday once it's done being assembled. I don't plan on using a carb on the Bronco as it already has the Holley Sniper, but this way I can have my carb gone through and verify it's in proper working order, so I can use it on the D0VE 460 once I'm ready for that engine to go into my F100.

I was going to just use a factory distributor on the Bronco, but since no one was interested in buying my MSD distributor and box I figure I'll just use them on the Bronco. I can also lock out the distributor and have the sniper control the timing as well, which will be good as this distributor has no vacuum advance and the added advance during cruising will help with mpg.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I dropped the carb and distributor off at the machine shop on Monday. Here are a couple shots I took of the short block while I was there.

The Barry Grant Demon 850 I dropped off. I remember when I first got it for the engine I blew up. The builder was bummed out I didn't get the mechanical secondary version of it. It's the same guy building this one, so I'm curious if he'll have the same sentiments toward it this time.

In roughly... 7 hours I'll go to the machine shop and we should be ready to dyno. He said to check in around lunch time. That should give me enough to catch a nice nap after work (I'm off work in 2 hours), if I can fall asleep with all the excitement anyway. lol

Anyone want to guess the power it makes?

I'll try to give some specs off the top of my head, some of which is from memory from a long time ago (the heads), but I'll have to get a full list from the shop when I go in.

D9TE block is zero decked (10.30" deck height)
Block over-bored .030 (4.39" bore)
Internally balanced factory crank ground .010 on all journals. (3.85" stroke)
Speed Pro Hypereutectic Pistons. (Two valve reliefs. +4.20cc)
Comp Cams Extreme 4x4 cam (Duration: 226In/[email protected] Lift: .554"In/.574"Ex LSA: 111
D3VE heads: Thermactor bosses ground down. Hardened seats. Stainless valves: 2.19"In?/1.76"Ex? 1.73 Roller Rockers
Edelbrock Performer 460 intake.
MSD Pro Billet distributor.

It's going to be dyno'd with the shop's 900 cfm carb as that's their tried and true carb. I'll have my 850 put on before we're done, just to make sure it functions properly and then I'll wrap it up and put it away for later for the other engine. We'll also be using a set of headers on the dyno, though I'll install the engine in my Bronco with the factory manifolds.

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
215 Posts
From the crank, I’d say 400-500 for hp and ft/lb, being a big block I’d say more torque, but I’ve a bad track record with guessing those. ?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Murphy's Law is in effect.

I was on my way to the shop and I had a voicemail, so I listened to it on my way there. The dyno is apparently broken. Since I was like 5 minutes away I just went there anyway. Not sure what's wrong with it. My engine is on the dyno and all hooked up, but there's like an inch of water on the floor and the owner mentioned something about an electrician taking a look at the dyno.

He was busy on the phone, so I just took a peek and then went home. He said he'd call me when they get things straightened out. Who knows when that'll be. Doh.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Murphy's Law is in effect.

I was on my way to the shop and I had a voicemail, so I listened to it on my way there. The dyno is apparently broken. Since I was like 5 minutes away I just went there anyway. Not sure what's wrong with it. My engine is on the dyno and all hooked up, but there's like an inch of water on the floor and the owner mentioned something about an electrician taking a look at the dyno.

He was busy on the phone, so I just took a peek and then went home. He said he'd call me when they get things straightened out. Who knows when that'll be. Doh.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #258

You done messed up A A Ron.

I guess there was some good news though, he did mention that he had it set up last night and fired it up to make sure things were working for today. I guess the dyno is playing some April fools stuff.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,976 Posts
375-425

241 - 260 of 293 Posts