Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
why did you plug the water pump on the top left?
Well, I did not plug it, the builder did. However! He plugged it, because on the dyno they don't hook up the heater core, they have central air.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
I would have snapped a pic of it sitting on the dyno, but one of the guys was mopping up in there and I didn't want to bother him. Most of the guys working there were probably alive when the Arizona sank and they seem kinda grumpy, so I keep my distance.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,876 Posts
My guess is so you could run it on the Dyno..

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Ooops, should have not gone by my Alerts and turned the page....sorry

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
204 Posts
Murphy's Law is in effect.

I was on my way to the shop and I had a voicemail, so I listened to it on my way there. The dyno is apparently broken. Since I was like 5 minutes away I just went there anyway. Not sure what's wrong with it. My engine is on the dyno and all hooked up, but there's like an inch of water on the floor and the owner mentioned something about an electrician taking a look at the dyno.

He was busy on the phone, so I just took a peek and then went home. He said he'd call me when they get things straightened out. Who knows when that'll be. Doh.
UGH!!! That is a PAIN. I know what it’s like to have the rug yanked up out from under yourself, believe me. Just find something to try and get your mind off off of it.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
I guess they got it working again while I was sleeping. I tried to stay up and do my version of an "all nighter", but crashed sometime in the afternoon. Had a text at 6pm saying it was going again. We're going to do it tomorrow. Unless it stops working again I guess.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
The issue with the dyno was some sort of switch that turns on the pump to recirculate the water for the engine. Long story short, the pump didn't kick on and the dyno room flooded a bit.

I guess on Tuesday night he essentially broke the engine in. He said he had maybe a total of about 40 minutes of run time on the engine. Wednesday the dyno was out of commission. This morning around 9:15am I stopped in and we did some pulls. I had to use a crappy camera to take a video, so it certainly didn't turn out well, but if you guys like potato quality I can post one.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Schoenfeld "Dyno headers". Yes, that's what they are called on their website. I looked it up, because I was curious.

Magnaflow muffler.

Hey @dash_cam they plugged this too! Guess we don't need to check the oil level.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
They use some sort of disk shaped filter for the oil and it's of course remotely mounted. This block had an oil filter adapter on it, I'm not sure if I'll need it or not, but it's on there for now.

No starter.

It's back here I guess.

And we're ready.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #271 (Edited)
So, this is of course "best case scenario" and not what I'll see in the Bronco due to the fact I'll have different exhaust (manifolds and longer pipes with more bends), but I'm happy with the results as it's pretty much a 1 to 1 comparison to the old, blown up engine as that one was dyno'd pretty much the same way (headers with muffler and no pipe).

Old 460's peak numbers were 427hp @ 4700 and 510tq @ 3 something (can't remember).

This one made 453hp @ 5000 and 538tq @ 3300.

This is a print out of the second pull made.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
i don't know what a "normal" 460's numbers look like but that looks like a damn beast!
It depends on the era and the way the hp was calculated.

The 460 I blew up was out of my 75-F150. At that time the auto industry had just changed from SAE Gross to SAE Net. It was rated at about 215hp and 365tq. So that's similar to how they do it now where they measured it with all accessories on.

This is what people in the 460 world would call "mild".

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
I'd like to save up and build the other 460 I have into a 521 stroker and aim for something like 600hp. May or may not happen, but that's the dream.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Hey @cobrajoe, feel like walking me through an engine rebuild? I'm going to ask my brother if he'd allow me to build the other 460 in his garage. If that happens I'll have to do a bit of learning. If things work out, I plan to strip it down all the way and rebuild it proper rather than just slapping it back together and hoping it runs alright.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Charles Morris, Steven Christ & Tom Monroe both have good books, although old, on rebuilding ford motors. I have them, among others, that I used in the days before the InterWeb.
If I were you, 460ford.com is where I would be looking. A ton of info and knowledgeable people.
Engine rebuilds are pretty much the same, finding the right parts that work together, is the key to a good performing engine.
The best thing I can tell someone who has never built an engine before, is to pay attention to everything when you tear it down.
Now, if you decide to build an engine, how far are you going to go? Are you going to assemble the motor yourself and check tolerances, etc... or are you going to have the machine shop build the short block and just assemble the top end?
Do you feel comfortable plasti-gaugeing bearings?
I guess what I am trying to say is that it is two different levels of expertise/knowledge that only you know what you are capable of.
I learned in my teens, hanging with the older car guys. Then I used to read as much as I could, as I never had a teacher or the luxury of forums and videos. I guess that's why my threads get picture heavy because I needed to see the pictures of how things worked after I read about them. IDK, for me, it just worked.
Good luck in whatever you decide and if you want the dumb opinion of an old man, I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Charles Morris, Steven Christ & Tom Monroe both have good books, although old, on rebuilding ford motors. I have them, among others, that I used in the days before the InterWeb.
If I were you, 460ford.com is where I would be looking. A ton of info and knowledgeable people.
Engine rebuilds are pretty much the same, finding the right parts that work together, is the key to a good performing engine.
The best thing I can tell someone who has never built an engine before, is to pay attention to everything when you tear it down.
Now, if you decide to build an engine, how far are you going to go? Are you going to assemble the motor yourself and check tolerances, etc... or are you going to have the machine shop build the short block and just assemble the top end?
Do you feel comfortable plasti-gaugeing bearings?
I guess what I am trying to say is that it is two different levels of expertise/knowledge that only you know what you are capable of.
I learned in my teens, hanging with the older car guys. Then I used to read as much as I could, as I never had a teacher or the luxury of forums and videos. I guess that's why my threads get picture heavy because I needed to see the pictures of how things worked after I read about them. IDK, for me, it just worked.
Good luck in whatever you decide and if you want the dumb opinion of an old man, I'll do my best to help.
The 460ford.com membership is already intact, my good sir. It's a fairly slow forum compared to this one, but it does have a wealth of info via the search button! I actually tried to hit up Scotty J for some port work before this 460 was built when I was considering putting the D0VE heads on it, but I guess my email got lost or something and I eventually decided against a costly port job anyway rather than hounding him for a reply. Probably for the best all things considered.

I have a full set of '77 F-series shop manuals. Like, the legit physical box set of manuals from 40+ years ago. I know it has a whole book on engines and most definitely covers the 460, though this 460 is older than a 77 and probably has a few different specs or items. I plan on utilizing that along the way as, up until now, it's mostly been just a cool item to have around with my truck of the same year.

I've gone back and forth a lot on how much of it I want to tackle. I know a lot of guys pride themselves on doing it all and being able to say they built the whole thing, but I always take into consideration my skill set and willingness to see the project through to the end. I chose to go with a shop building the other one as they do good work and I like having peace of mind that at least one of my rigs has the heart of it in sound condition via a pro.

Provided I can secure a good place to tear this 460 down and put it back together I'm willing to do it all and take the time to do it right. I thought about having the machine shop do the short block, but I don't think I'm going to satisfy my desire to learn if I don't at least attempt to do the whole thing and risk blowing it up. It's just a junkyard motor after all, right? I think a bigger concern for me is acquiring more tools in order to accomplish this task. I know some I can rent, but I'll definitely be buying a few.

The reason this D0VE 460 is right where I left it after checking the innards under the pan is because I wanted to attempt this and do it right and I'll need to document it a lot better than I do on other things! It's still sitting there, covered, with the intake and head removed and I periodically hit the exposed cylinders with some oil to keep them as rust free as possible.

Hey, don't take all the ribbing to heart, old man! I don't mean any harm! Your knowledge is definitely valued and appreciated here on this forum by more than just myself.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Here's a shot of my manuals. When I first got them they were my "bathroom reading" material. I've considered grabbing a set of '78 manuals for the Bronco, as I like physical manuals over a CD, but they have gone up in price considerably these days. Can't do it.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,876 Posts
The shop manual are great for procedures, spec, etc... but if you are looking to see and learn the performance end and the tricks of the trade specific to your engine family, the specialized books are the way to go.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think the best way to learn is to dive in and do it.

Common sense should rule- and everything needs to be clean,clean,clean.

I don't think it's anything too difficult to do but you do have to be meticulous and plan things out-don't be in a hurry.

My old 521 i woke up in the middle of the night sure i missed a rod when torquing the bottom end. Next day double checked and they were all torqued. If i hadn't double checked.......

261 - 280 of 293 Posts