Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,880 Posts
I agree with the above; what i was getting at was if you are looking just to do a rebuild fine, if you are trying to increase performance, it's nice to know the tricks of the trade. Like relieving push road holes in a 427 intake for large cams, restricting top end oil flow in Clelands, chamfering oil holes in crankshafts, etc...
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
I'm going to talk to my brother sometime today and see about a clean place to assemble it. I'm not too worried about disassembling it where I live.

On this one it'd be pretty much a factory type rebuild, nothing fancy. I don't have the money right now to do what I want, which is a fancy 521. I'll only get it what it needs to go back together in good condition. Or at least that's what I'm going to say right now.

I figure I could probably rebuild the whole thing for the cost of a good 521 rotating assembly.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Looks like it's a go. I'll strip it down sometime, not sure when, but the reassembly will happen over in my brother's garage. I asked if he wanted to build an engine with me (he's a lot less car-literate than I am) and he said he doesn't know how. I said good, neither do I, we can figure this out together. lol

I've spent the past few days keeping an eye on craigslist and the FB marketplace to see if any cheap 460 goodies show up, but no luck so far. I think that'll be the only way I'll upgrade this thing right now, if I can get a really good deal on some used parts. I could go for a nice dual plane intake that doesn't weigh 100 pounds...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
I stopped by the machine shop after dropping off my t-case at my mechanic's shop. I asked the big cheese what a ballpark rebuild would run me. He ran down the list of typical stuff while adding up costs on the calculator. Bore, hone, installing cam bearings, valve job, valve guides, etc etc etc. He said about $1200 for machining and labor. He said I should be able to do a stock type rebuild for under 2k doing it myself when adding in a rebuild kit to the machine work provided no surprises pop up during tear down or machining.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Seems reasonable to me.....but then again, there are always surprises when I tear down $hit.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
So I'm trying to plan out things in my head here and the first thing I'd like to prepare for is tools. I know some things will be rentable, like say a piston ring compressor, but others will be worth buying as I'll have use for them later.

My tool arsenal is pretty small, but right now I know I'll need a digital caliper, dial indicator, probably a larger torque wrench than my 3/8" drive that I already have. Any tools that come to mind that you'll think I'd need that would be worth buying rather than finding a rental? Any suggestion on brands?

In a pinch I could probably borrow a tool from my mechanic depending on what it was and for how long I need it. He's a pretty solid dude in that regard and I could see him doing it.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,880 Posts
First off, a good engine stand for a big block is a must.
As you mentioned, a good quality 3/8" & 1/2" drive torque wrench and also a Harmonic balancer installation tool.
Ring compressors are cheap, like $20, not worth renting, but are you planning on assembling your own short block? If so, make sure you get pre-gapped rings, otherwise, they will need to be squared and filed.
If you are assembling the bottom end, you will also need some Plastigauge to check your bearing clearances.
Cam bearings you should have pressed in by the machine shop, no sense spending money on a bearing tool.
A compressor with air tools is an advantage.
I would also recommend a good tap & die set.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I got a stand, the engine is sitting on it already while it's covered up. It's a summit brand stand rated for 1250 lbs.

I do intend on assembling the short block. I'm going bearings deep on this, for better or for worse.

My main reason for renting tools, even a ring compressor, is to rent ones that I probably won't use again for a long time and buy ones that will get more use. I really don't want to store a bunch of stuff. Plus any money I can save can go towards parts.

I don't have an air compressor, but I believe my brother has a small one we can use. At a minimum I'll be able to use it to blow things out if nothing else.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Haven't seen your stand, but the one I use for Big Blocks has two legs instead of one. It is similar to this one.

The ones with a single leg can flip over easily, especially when you are trying to rotate the engine.

One more thing, always cut a piece of wood to fit under the front of the block to hold it up for safety.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
It has the two legs, but doesn't have that center support that the one in your picture has.

You can see it here when it was holding my donor 460 that turned into the red 460 I have now.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
i bought a piston ring compressor when i rebuilt an engine in high school. i threw it away several years ago after it was surface rusted, sitting in a box, untouched since the first use.

that's my story.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
For reference, the Lincoln 460-4V from 1969-1972(?) was rated at 385 HP and 500 lb-ft of torque; whatever improvements have been made (and the D3VE heads are very close to the D0VE heads, according to boaters who use them), I would guess a modest 50HP/75 lb-ft increase on the manifolds. I'll be interested to see what the numbers are, using the Demon and the shop's headers.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans
268 Posts
For reference, the Lincoln 460-4V from 1969-1972(?) was rated at 385 HP and 500 lb-ft of torque; whatever improvements have been made (and the D3VE heads are very close to the D0VE heads, according to boaters who use them), I would guess a modest 50HP/75 lb-ft increase on the manifolds. I'll be interested to see what the numbers are, using the Demon and the shop's headers.
good hint.
I looked up german markets and ther are indeed cars from 69/70/71 with a 7,5 Liter = 460 cui and 370-380 horsepower.
then there are 72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV with 460 and just 310 hp.

looks good.
and 310 - 350 hp would be totally in the area I am opting for to bring the 400 to....

281 - 293 of 293 Posts