Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have searched and found a lot of good info and am going to look at my rig again right now but I thought I would post the specifics to my problem in case one of you has seen this a hundred times.

I had just got my rig to operating temperature getting off the highway I accelerated hard (WOT) and suddenly, no engine. Coasted to the light attempting restart to no avail. Pushed into gas station and checked all connections and obvious things, looked ok. Went and got tools and tested ignition with timing light and wala no spark. Was running fine up to this point. Has 122300 miles on it. Battery is pretty weak though and will be replaced soon. Cables too as they make a functioning but inadequate connection. Also my power steering resevoir cap bypassed a little oil do to being overfull at high rpm but the oil that sprayed out did not appear to contact anything critical. Any thoughts to get my rig home off the hook would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Check codes as it may diagnose itself then test the suspect wiring and parts. Coil, TFI, & pick-up in the dizzy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Check codes as it may diagnose itself then test the suspect wiring and parts. Coil, TFI, & pick-up in the dizzy.
Ah, forgot about that. I actually had one of those let loose in a 93 Tempo. The distributor was only a week old, too! From the looks of it, the magnet came loose, got caught in the teeth of the wheel and proceeded to destroy every piece of plastic in that distributor. It was quite amusing to go to the parts store and dump the distributor's ground up guts out on the counter! They were more than happy to replace it under warranty. I just wish I had pics of that one...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I broke down in front of a repair shop and didn't have too much time to spend so I let them have it. $225 out the door and the culprit was the electronic ignition module $62.30 and I replaced the $25 coil myself as a long shot and now have a spare. I have the tools and meter but my sister who owns the rig moved with the manual to viola viola washington:popc1:

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Just for clarification...

The Electronic Ignition Module, (not Electronic Control Module), is also known as Ignition Module, Ignition Control Module, ICM, TFI Module, TFI-IV Ignition Module, TFI, etc.

Also, it is Walla, Washington - or is it Walla Walla, Washington??? - or Walla Walla Walla, Washington???

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
...ECM, ECU - Electronic Control Unit, MCU - Motronic Control Unit, PCM - Powertrain Control Module, EEC - Electronic Engine Control, computer, brain...

:rolleyes: You're confusing the terms now.
I prefer "ignitor." :rockon

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
You guys don't have a Hell. We do, though. :goodfinge:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.