Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I noticed that the spacer for the air tube that connects to the cat melted off, allowing the air tube to come off. Has anybody else with the Catco replacement y-pipe ever have this issue? It happened after pulling the boat up-north. The truck was running hotter than normal, but nothing too extreme. I've had this setup on for 2 years and have not had a problem before.

Here's some pics of what happened:

Also, for anyone with the Catco y-pipe, how close does it run to the tranny? There is a heat shield on the tranny there, but the exhaust seems a bit too close.

Is this too close?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
I never did understnd why Catco supplied a rubber hose for that extension, it gets pretty hot there. I baught a cat from my local friendly parts store and it came with a steel tube extender, which makes a lot more sense to me. I'd get a piece of steel tubing that will fit and clamp it on, mine came with two small muffler type clamps that fit the two ends.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seabronc said:
I never did understnd why Catco supplied a rubber hose for that extension, it gets pretty hot there.
Yeah, I know. The high-temp hose actually didn't get wrecked, only the spacer they used to match up the air tube to the hose melted.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Seabronc said:
I never did understnd why Catco supplied a rubber hose for that extension, it gets pretty hot there. I baught a cat from my local friendly parts store and it came with a steel tube extender, which makes a lot more sense to me. I'd get a piece of steel tubing that will fit and clamp it on, mine came with two small muffler type clamps that fit the two ends.

Good luck,
I used copper tubing and took advantage of the 45 degree elbows to help plumb it tighter to the sides.

Works well, easy to solder. The green silicone hose should be used as far away from the cat as possible IME (in my experience).

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sixlitre said:
I used copper tubing and took advantage of the 45 degree elbows to help plumb it tighter to the sides.
Cool, I'll have to look around for some copper tube.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey! Sorry to change the direction of your thread, but other than the air tube how has your catco y-pipe worked for you? Any power gains? Is it better than stock? I was thinking of investing in a Bassani because of the fact that everyone says the stock y-pipe is so restrictive, but if I can find something cheaper with comparable gains...:rockon

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the Catco y-pipe has worked perfectly. I did get a noticable power gain, there was a hill that I couldn't pull in overdrive, and after the switch to the Catco y-pipe I could actually accelerate up the hill in overdrive.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
topfisherman said:
Yeah, the Catco y-pipe has worked perfectly. I did get a noticable power gain, there was a hill that I couldn't pull in overdrive, and after the switch to the Catco y-pipe I could actually accelerate up the hill in overdrive.
Question for you topfisherman

After the cat what size is the pipe ? 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" ?

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
topfisherman said:
Stock size 2 1/4".
Dang !

I was hoping for 2 1/2". Oh well I'd still buy that twin pipe system just to get the headpipes.

After that you could put a Y connector on to get you out to 2 1/2" or 3" single no trouble. The twin pipes could be shortened up to accomodate the length needed for any muffler you chose.

Combine that with the $42.00 Dynomax mandrel bent 2 1/2" tailpipe and you've got a winner bolt-on exhaust system for 302s and dirt cheap.

Too bad they don't do it for 5.8s

Sixlitre

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ya, whats the deal with no 5.8 BTW. Working on a 5.8 swap and budjet is a biggy, and that would be perfect. I dont have a good exoust shop around, so I am stuck buying premade.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
s1120 said:
Ya, whats the deal with no 5.8 BTW. Working on a 5.8 swap and budjet is a biggy, and that would be perfect. I dont have a good exoust shop around, so I am stuck buying premade.
Yeah you're not the first to complain about that

I know the difference on Mopars from a 318 to a 360 only required that I rammed a huge bar down the driver's headpipe and "tweaked" it an inch or two.

Wish I could tell you it'd be as easy on a 5.8 using that Catco twinpipe system for the 5.0 litre. You could take the Catco twinpipe 5.0 system in and have an exhaust shop "make" it fit by cutting off and reusing your headpipe flares from the 5.8 Y-pipe.

I did this;

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17318#content

With the Flowmaster "Y" collector and it gave me serious power and mileage gains. You'd have to be careful to do a lot of the stuff yourself as you'd be approaching the cost of a bolt-on Bassani otherwise.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
897 Posts
I did see that, and it looks sweet, but the bending is the problem. I could cut and weld bends, but by the time I am done, with the time invalved I might as well go for the Bassani

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.