Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been recently reading about catco's new (I think?) single catalytic converter system, and have learned that it is a cheap, easy to install system that really does work. I want one, but I have a 351 :rockon , and was wondering if the 5.0 system would work or not. I also saw that they have a F-150 kit that was only a little longer, so maybe that might work (with a little cutting). I was wondering if anyone had done or heard anything about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Cheers, Tim :chili:
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
AC's_Bronco said:
I have been recently reading about catco's new (I think?) single catalytic converter system, and have learned that it is a cheap, easy to install system that really does work. I want one, but I have a 351 :rockon , and was wondering if the 5.0 system would work or not. I also saw that they have a F-150 kit that was only a little longer, so maybe that might work (with a little cutting). I was wondering if anyone had done or heard anything about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Cheers, Tim :chili:
My exhaust system was shot so I replaced the two cat set up with the catco single one.....I think I ordered it from ecatconverter.com or something like that. My Bronco has the 5.0, but I have had no problems at all and my stock cat had to have been clogged because after I put the new one and the flo 40 on the 5.0 was a bit happier.

Check out the pics in my sig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts
Gacknar said:
Nice links.....
It's a shame they dont work :toothless

what?!?!?! well damn.................dont that suck? :brownbag

well it was late.

and I was tired.

and....and....and

well i fixed em anyway :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
Go here, they have a Catco replacement for up to a 1994 5.8: Click
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted by Joes93Bronco
a search pulled up these two threads off the top. read em (the whole thread) and remember search is yer friend
I got the info from searching!!! (my post count is low because all i do is search :thumbup) I was just wondering if the system presented by Streetgang would work with a 5.8 liter or not. If not, then i am stuck with the old cats :cry .
 

·
Satyr of the Midwest
Joined
·
17,734 Posts
This isn't a Catco, but a similar setup, I guess you could call it. Check out this page at Maremont.

I'll save you some trouble. Here's a picture.


The application was a 1993-1996 Flareside (117-in WB, 5.8L, dual outlets). Not dual pipes down to the converter, but the Y-pipe is dead sexy IMHO, in that it's a slip-fit converter. I've already tried bugging their tech guy but he's no help. Would anyone here want to find out what the part number of JUST THE Y-PIPE is? Honestly I could give a crap about the converter itself.

FYI: This is for a 351W/5.8L only. You 5.0L guys already got all the lucky breaks for finding exhaust stuff. ;)
 

·
Satyr of the Midwest
Joined
·
17,734 Posts
SigEpBlue said:
in that it's a slip-fit converter.
...meaning that you can opt to NOT use the converter at all, unlike almost every other setup. Isn't that the object, to remove the most restrictive part of the exhaust? Just looking at this, it shouldn't cost more than about $60. Yah, it's no breakthrough, but my standards are low. :toothless
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
i replaced mine with a magna flow set up :rockon i had ordered the catco cause summit said it would fit :banghead returned it for the magnaflow wich was better quality camera is busted or i would post pics:doh0715:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts
Gacknar said:
Yup.... 2-1/4" O.D. pipe with crimped "Acordian bends". And just check out those booger welds.

Mmm, that is sexy.
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

flows like my dryer vent

AC's_Bronco said:
I got the info from searching!!! (my post count is low because all i do is search :thumbup) I was just wondering if the system presented by Streetgang would work with a 5.8 liter or not. If not, then i am stuck with the old cats :cry .
the one i titled "info from sixlitre" has his explanation of how it could be made to fit a 5.8 by a competent welder or shop along with some great ideas on making a totally custom exhaust.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,299 Posts
Joes93Bronco said:
:histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

flows like my dryer vent



the one i titled "info from sixlitre" has his explanation of how it could be made to fit a 5.8 by a competent welder or shop along with some great ideas on making a totally custom exhaust.
Strange the way the same company can make almost mandrel bends on the twin piped 5.0 litre system and be so poor on the 5.8.

BTW the beauty of the Catco 5.0 system is there's no "S" bend upwards, like the stock system and that one pictured above. Everything passes above the crossmembers and doesn't hang down to be hit.

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts
i am seriously considering goin for it and bein the guinnea piggy here. unless someone beats me to it. got a lot on the plate for the bronco so im juggling what to do next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will do the catco conversion with my 351, but I will hold off for a while. Hopefully, someone will figure out how to do all of it before I get to take a shot at it. Thanks everyone. :twotu:

Btw,


This thing looks like a piece of crap IMO. Hope I am not the only one.
 

·
Satyr of the Midwest
Joined
·
17,734 Posts
:cry

Fine, just trying to help, that's all. It only turned my head because of the Y-pipe w/ no cat. possibility.

Anyone have access to a flowbench to mebbe do some flow tests on these Catco setups?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:whiteflag I meant no offense, its just that the thing looks like air ducting material as Joes93bronco so nicely put it.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,299 Posts
AC's_Bronco said:
I will do the catco conversion with my 351, but I will hold off for a while. Hopefully, someone will figure out how to do all of it before I get to take a shot at it. Thanks everyone. :twotu:

Btw,


This thing looks like a piece of crap IMO. Hope I am not the only one.
AC

Two things

1st That's not the Catco pipe, that's annuder brand, as the poster said.

2nd It's the twin piped 5.0 litre pipe that we're all excited about. It has potential

Sixlitre

p.s./
That's why I made my own;

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1. I know, that’s why I made fun of it

2. I was excited about the 5.0 system too, but I have a 5.8 liter, and thought that I might be able to "make" it work on my truck. I was just wondering if anyone had "made" it work on the 351 or if I was getting in to something that couldn't possibly work. Thanks anyways.

~AC

Edit: Btw Sixlitre, yours is pretty cool and might be the way I go (eventually)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top