Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing my Cobra within the next week and I have dual 4' antennas. Plan was to mount on either side of rear quarter. I tried searching for other ideas but came up empty. Basically this is just a show me your CB Antenna mount thread lol

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
I made a mount that put it up front the original Idea was to make it lay down under the hood when not needed or going thru the car wash. I just never finished that pat of the deal.

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
I ran one on the swingaway for many years, but it's not very effective; not enough ground plane under the antenna, and what little there is only works for receivers in front of the Bronco. Likewise, having the antenna on either side of the hood doesn't transmit well to that side of the Bronco, and running 2 can cause dual-path interference, or worse.

So this time, I put it on the roof.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1014495

This shows the CB mount:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1023303

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Roof mounting don't work so hot on a Indiana trail rig. I've had pretty good range with this set up probably 1 mile which in just a out every case exceeds my radio needs I really only use it to yack at a guy 100 ft from me and line of sight.

The other beneficial thing about front mount is it sweeps the tree limbs up and over the cab keeping my view much more clear.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
I've got the same setup. I ran dual firestiks on my hood with a couple of brackets I bought of Ebay. I originally had some gutter mounts, but I kept feeling like the gutters were flexing too much. If you're gonna mount antenna, there are only 2 places: hood and rear bumper/tire rack. Anything else is too tall.

Also, get a couple of flex springs, or you'll rip those antenna right off.

BTW, my SWR is 1.2 with this setup.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
I started running a fire stick and they flex like mad without springs way better than the first fiberglass whip I tried.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
I had mine mounted right in the middle of the cab, but hit it on trees and a parking structure. Messed up my cab roof.

So now I have it on the carrier like alot of guys have it.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,712 Posts
If mounted to the spare carrier or bumper does it need to extend past the topper?? I have never had my CB radio work correctly and would like it to. I know I need to tune the antenna but right now it hardly recieves anything eithier. It could be I am a complete idiot on where I put mine and thats ok, just would like to know better now. I live less then two miles from I-65, I would think I could pick up some chatter.

I now hav a shorter one as this one got the wire part broke at some point.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Brandon make sure you have a good ground path the paint on the bumper can bother your antenna performance.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,712 Posts
The antenna should be grounded? The one I have had two plastic washers on the mount that came on my f-250. That could also be why its not working.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
I found out the hard way on the bracket I made. Yep it needs a solid ground and it'll work like a charm. The mount I have uses the plastic washer between the base and the mount and grounds on the bottom.

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
...does it need to extend past the topper??
The top is fiberglass, so it's irrelevant. Only metallic surfaces matter because they reflect EMF. A transmitting antenna works a lot like a fluorescent tube putting off light above the surface of murky water - if there's nothing below its base to reflect the light up, about half the energy is wasted going down where it's useless. So a big horizontal reflector (ground plane) at the base has a big impact on Tx range (and a smaller but significant impact on Rx). Having half the antenna right next to the t/g surface makes a lot of its energy go back, reducing range toward the front of the truck. That's why most Tx antennas are mounted high, and preferably on a horizontal metal surface.
The antenna should be grounded?
No, only the SHIELDING in the cable must be grounded.
...uses the plastic washer between the base and the mount and grounds on the bottom.
Right - the antenna is connected to the center conductor of the cable, and is prevented from grounding by the plastic washers. The screw-on collar for the cable end is connected to the coaxial shielding inside the cable, and must be grounded to the body of the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
No, only the SHIELDING in the cable must be grounded.Right - the antenna is connected to the center conductor of the cable, and is prevented from grounding by the plastic washers. The screw-on collar for the cable end is connected to the coaxial shielding inside the cable, and must be grounded to the body of the truck.
I always wondered about that. people keep telling me I need to ground out the antennae, but it never made sense to me, connecting the actual antenna wire to the ground. So I left it ungrounded. I think I can get my SWR to 1.1 or 1.0 now.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
The top is fiberglass, so it's irrelevant. Only metallic surfaces matter because they reflect EMF. A transmitting antenna works a lot like a fluorescent tube putting off light above the surface of murky water - if there's nothing below its base to reflect the light up, about half the energy is wasted going down where it's useless. So a big horizontal reflector (ground plane) at the base has a big impact on Tx range (and a smaller but significant impact on Rx). Having half the antenna right next to the t/g surface makes a lot of its energy go back, reducing range toward the front of the truck. That's why most Tx antennas are mounted high, and preferably on a horizontal metal surface.No, only the SHIELDING in the cable must be grounded.Right - the antenna is connected to the center conductor of the cable, and is prevented from grounding by the plastic washers. The screw-on collar for the cable end is connected to the coaxial shielding inside the cable, and must be grounded to the body of the truck.
Don't forget there is steel inside the fiberglass on the tops. On a Bronco you're fairly limited to your choices antenna mounting wise you just have to do the best you can.

·
U jelly of my
3,202 Posts
Technically the antenna is supposed to be above the roof. With my setup I had a 1.1SWR. I only used mine on the trail but I have used it on the road a few times before and never had any clarity issues. My only problem is I can't have the subwoofers turned on with the CB or every time the bass hits you hear it over the CB.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Dad mounted the antenna right behind the cab on his cb in the Ranger and we had great range.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts