Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,718 Posts
mine is working agian now with the shielding on the antenna grounded. I may get a longer antenna then the one I currently have. On the metal in the top. The 78 I don't think has that but that is true for newer ones. I also now have a new mic and a external speaker on my CB, Its a lot better then it was.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Finally got my 2-1 18' coax cable. Now I just need my new power cable and I can move forward with my mounts.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Hay now we talk code on the CB between Indy and Franklin CBG

Breaker! Breaker! 19 looking for crazybroncoguy. How bout CBG you got you're ears on? I got heard of smokies on my aZz headed south on 31.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,215 Posts
Old thread but might as well keep it going.

Where does everyone run their CB cable through the tailgate area when mounting n the tire carrier so the cable doesn’t get crushed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
--------------
4,357 Posts
I ran mine just above the Pass side tail light.
(there is a small notch on the top left side of assembly)

Drilled a hole in the "Bulkhead" for the Coaxial.
(check to be sure your inside the area behind the Cargo area panel)
and used a rubber grommet & some ucky-puck to seal from moisture.

run coax at will.

***edit,
leave a little extra cable out side for "swing out" slack.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm using a 1/4 wave whip, and the mount is a little different than most, but here's how I ran the coax:

Even though the mount is part of the bumper, which is bolted to the frame, I wasn't getting good grounding, so I ran an additional grounding wire to one of the stock tire swingout bolt locations. That solved my grounding issues. As mentioned previously in the thread, grounding is very important. Also, as previously mentioned, Broncos really suck when it comes to providing a ground plane... :p

For my ham radio (vhf/uhf), I put the antenna in the center of the cab roof. Fortunately, we don't have a lot of low overhanging brush here in AZ. I do have to be careful with drive-thru missions...

·
Registered
819 Posts
@Rodan
How does that Ground set up work?
Did you have to strip the coax to get at the shielding?
Yes, you have to strip the coax for this type of mount. This probably explains it better than I can:

These mounts normally go through a body panel, but mine is external. I added an additional wire from where it shows the shielding grounded in the pic to the body on mine. Once I did that, it works great, with ~1.2:1 SWR.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,215 Posts
Got my wire run through the body behind the tail light and out. I used a hole saw to cut a 1” hole and a round file to take a little out of the tail light.

The bungee keeps it from whacking the garage door every time I go in and out.

I went with the thicker Wilson fiberglass antenna vs the flex since I have it on a spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,004 Posts
I have space for mine to run out between tailgate and body.

I made a custom, armored mount for mine, supporting a 102" whip.

The wire connection is completely protected from trees, etc

21 - 35 of 35 Posts