Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I put a CB into my truck this past weekend that I picked up for 20 bucks. Seems to be working decently. I believe it is called the Cobra Ultra 1. A friend of mine had a small cobra antenna that his dad picked up from Radio Shack some time when they had it on clearance...so we decided to use that to see what kind of reception I get. It has a magnetic base, so for now I decided to just mount it on the drivers side, opposite the stock antenna. Reception doesn't seem to be too strong. I can barely pick anything up...even on the highway. Could be the CB itself though...it is used and pretty inexpensive. Chances are I will go ahead and pick up a different antenna from radio shack, and mount it on the spare tire carrier similar to what alot of you guys do.

I know that channel 19 is what most truckers use on the highway. And I know that channel 9 is the emergency channel. But are there any other useful channels I should know about? Channels on it range from 1 to 40

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It's not likely you'll find any traffic on anything but 19. Supposedly 18 is for non-semis but everyone just uses 19 now.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,471 Posts
the best cb antennas and mounts are at any truck stop.Check them out before radio shack.I only turn my cb on when im wheeling and we all agree on a station beforehand
did u tune it?

Both real good points. There are a bunch of good truck-stops/ CB shops along I76. And you will defiantly need to get it tuned after the antenna install same place should be able to do it. You also might try the mag mount on the roof.

Every now and then it is nice to have coming back from the hills on 70 when the traffic sucks. But other than that pretty much just off road.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
If you want to borrow and SWR meter I think I still have my cheapo from Radioshack.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Both real good points. There are a bunch of good truck-stops/ CB shops along I76. And you will defiantly need to get it tuned after the antenna install same place should be able to do it. You also might try the mag mount on the roof.

Every now and then it is nice to have coming back from the hills on 70 when the traffic sucks. But other than that pretty much just off road.

:stupid

We used to use CH4 as the main channel everyone agreed to. Only reason then to change is if 4 was being too heavily used once at the trailsite.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want to borrow and SWR meter I think I still have my cheapo from Radioshack.
I will keep that in mind. Found a thread on here that tells you how to use the SWR meter. I might have to make a trip up to Fo Co after I get my new antenna.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey guys. I put a CB into my truck this past weekend that I picked up for 20 bucks. Seems to be working decently. I believe it is called the Cobra Ultra 1. A friend of mine had a small cobra antenna that his dad picked up from Radio Shack some time when they had it on clearance...so we decided to use that to see what kind of reception I get. It has a magnetic base, so for now I decided to just mount it on the drivers side, opposite the stock antenna. Reception doesn't seem to be too strong. I can barely pick anything up...even on the highway. Could be the CB itself though...it is used and pretty inexpensive. Chances are I will go ahead and pick up a different antenna from radio shack, and mount it on the spare tire carrier similar to what alot of you guys do.
Don't by any of that Truck Stop junk, its overpriced and underperforms. If you want a good antenna, stick with the following name brands.

Predator 10K
Wilson 1000 or Wilson 5000
Monkey Made

If you still want to go to the radio shack. Get a 102" stainless whip and a 6" spring.

Mount any antenna you buy as high as you possibly can. Wherever you mount the antenna make sure that it is to shiny metal - that means scrape off the paint. If you do a magnet mount you do not need to scrape the paint.

Run the power for the cb straight to your battery. Do not forget to put a fuse near the battery. A good antenna will be tuneable. You will need to use a SWR meter to tune it. This basically checks for reflected signal. Your SWR need to be under 1.5 or you will fry your radio. A 1.1 or 1.2 is what you want to shoot for.

An antenna makes the whole system. A antenna installed properly will make a piece of crap radio sound great. It does not matter how much you spend on the radio it will never work worth a damn without a good antenna. :banghead

1 - 10 of 10 Posts