Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and couldn't come up with any good recent advise. I bought a Cobra 19 Ultra III. I'm in need of an antenna. It will probably be mounted on the rear spare tire area. Any recommendations on a good one to get. I want good reception and would like to pick up from a good distance away. The bronco will be street driven as well as trail driven so that has to come into play.

Thanks

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I run a radioshack 102 incher, but mine is not a DD, and some people called it "overkill". Others will accuse you of overcompensating (Spelling????). Just make sure you get something decent. A cheap antenna will kill you reception.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i've trucking since 1981 ,and using cb,s i perfer any thing by wilson .

i'm using one now on my rig , 4 foot fiberglass and it has plenty of flex.

stop in any major truckstop,[pilot,flyin-j,wilco] and check them out, i find they have hugh selection with all the accs. [coax,mts.,springs,]and good $$$ plus u get a hands on look see.

make sure to ck. SWR after hooking everything up.

keep searching the theads i've seen good mounting ideas on some ,including the ''LIL wil 5000 magnet mt. '' about $55.00 that holds on good mt. on roof

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Go with a 3 or 4 foot firestick. I picked one up as well at a local truck stop...and let me tell you I am 100 percent impressed. Plus, it was way cheaper then buying one at radio shack. And it already comes with a nice bracket to mount up to your spare tire carrier. All you have to do is buy longer bolts.

When I first installed my CB, I used a 2 foot magnetic mount antenna that I just placed opposite the stock antenna. It worked alright...maybe had a 5 mile radius. But I would definitely recommend the firestick. Here is a pic of mine on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
now thats what i'm talking bout, looks good 96BLK

good pics,good info.

did u use a spring 96? i agree about radio shack ,therkinda behind in the CB stuff nowdays, but you can get 102"" whip there.

firestixs are good also ,and come in lots of colors to, i found them to work well, but well a little stiff [ need to run with spring]

dont forget to vote FSB for top 4x4 site:rockon

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
now thats what i'm talking bout, looks good 96BLK

good pics,good info.

did u use a spring 96? i agree about radio shack ,therkinda behind in the CB stuff nowdays, but you can get 102"" whip there.

firestixs are good also ,and come in lots of colors to, i found them to work well, but well a little stiff [ need to run with spring]

dont forget to vote FSB for top 4x4 site:rockon
Thanks

No, no spring. But I like the way it is set up. I think it is the best place to mount an antenna. It is a bit rigid...but haven't had a problem with it yet.

:beer

·
Registered
240 Posts
:rebelflag:thumbup:thumbup

i hope bigdippin sees this, i have'nt put a cb in mine yet, just a scanner, gotta know whats the fuzz are up to!

when it warms up i 'll mount my ant. the same way , but i think i'll use a spring

keep on trucking 96 C-YA
NC MACK MAN

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses guys. I will head to Flyin J's after work to see what they got. I like the firstick setup 96 blkbeauty has. That looks really nice. I'm not to worried with looks, I want performance but I really like your setup.

Does everyone have their CB hooked up to the battery or is anyone using the cigarette lighter or fuse box? I've been reading conflicting reports on which way to go.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys. I will head to Flyin J's after work to see what they got. I like the firstick setup 96 blkbeauty has. That looks really nice. I'm not to worried with looks, I want performance but I really like your setup.

Does everyone have their CB hooked up to the battery or is anyone using the cigarette lighter or fuse box? I've been reading conflicting reports on which way to go.
Both ways have their advantages. I ran mine straight to the battery.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go with a 3 or 4 foot firestick. I picked one up as well at a local truck stop...and let me tell you I am 100 percent impressed. Plus, it was way cheaper then buying one at radio shack. And it already comes with a nice bracket to mount up to your spare tire carrier. All you have to do is buy longer bolts.

When I first installed my CB, I used a 2 foot magnetic mount antenna that I just placed opposite the stock antenna. It worked alright...maybe had a 5 mile radius. But I would definitely recommend the firestick. Here is a pic of mine on.
Did your firestick come with that bracket? Is it the 3 or 4 foot stick? I really like your setup. I'm going to try to make mine like that.
So all I should need after the firestick purchase is 18 foot of high quality coax.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm running a 4' Firestik II on my F150 with a spring. I'm very happy with it.
Started off with a 102" whip, and that was just too much. Had to tone it down a bit. I'm running my radio off the fuse box. No problems so far. As was said before, just check the SWR when you get done setting everything up. Also, another thing to remember is avoid parrallel metal surfaces, which shouldn't be a problem for you since the tops on the Bronco is fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have been running wilson's for the past 18+ years. I currently have a wilson 5000 and love it. I can get clear reception up to 5miles or so, after I tuned it in. Of course this will vary once in the hills and trees, but it has never let me down. Although, I have mine mounted on top of the cab, no interference issues for me. Plus I can unscrew it so I can still run my truck through the car wash. I have not had any leak issues during the rainy season either if that's a concern for you. Good luck. I'd post a pic, but can't because I haven't paid my membership dues.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Did your firestick come with that bracket? Is it the 3 or 4 foot stick? I really like your setup. I'm going to try to make mine like that.
So all I should need after the firestick purchase is 18 foot of high quality coax.
Yup, mine came with a bracket already. It is a 3 footer. And it already came with the coax.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
It don't have to be recent.
You'll more than likely find the same responces in here as the searched threads.
anteneas haven't changed that much...those of us that love our fire sticks...still love our fire sticks, etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hey bigdippen what u end up gettin at the flying J?

how was the selection? when u get her all hooked up let me know, i'll crank up the mack, and see if i can get a copy on ya, down here in the carolinas.
:shocked:shocked:shocked:shocked:shocked:shocked:shocked:shocked:

i think 96 had a good setup on his bronk

10-4 back door ,,, over and out

p.s. my cb handle is BIG WHITE HONKY cause i got a '' di-k'' like a donkey :goodfinge

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
here is a Pic of mine if you're still looking at mounting ideas...

Yeah, I like that spot too. Looks solid...but my only argument with that is having to run the wire even further across the spare tire carrier. I want to try and stay away from running long wire.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts