Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got my new CB Radio installed and the 8' whip antenna mounted, now I have to figure out how to attach the two.
I mounted the antenna on the passenger side of the rear bumper. Weather permitting, tomorrow (Sunday) I hope to go out and work on the truck.
I am considering two options to run the cable/wire from the antenna to the CB:

1. Go under the truck to the front, through the firewall and to the CB or

2. Go through the tailgate and through the inside of the truck to the front.

I guess it might help to know that the CB is mounted on the front of the ashtray.
I wondered if I might get the cable caught on something if I go under the truck. I also wondered if there is anyway to get the wire inside the truck by way of the tailgate, without crushing the wire in the tailgate.

Any thoughts...?!

Thanks!

·
Banned
470 Posts
I would highly recoment running the cable underneath the truck and through the firewall. Try to run it through the frame rail and make it stay in there if possible. A flexible loom might protect the cable but probably isn't neccessary. In order to do that you would have to make sure you have enough cable. If you ran it through the tailgate, I would think that the tailgate wouldn't seal up properly causing leaks and eventually leading to rust :cry .

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Yeah, there's totally a way. Take a close look at all the weatherstripping where the top meets the quarter panel immediately next to the tailgate. There's lots of room there to slip it thru. See what you can work out, you may or may not have to notch some weatherstripping or loosen a screw which faces the ground, but there's definitely room back there.

I kinda had it run like this and then came down HARD on the trail, the top severed my CB cable LOL! So then I took the grinder to the top and clearanced it. But there are better ways to do it where you won't have this problem, just play around with it.

·
Banned
470 Posts
True, I'd have to take a closer look at that area, but would the cable stay in place or fall out all the time.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Why not peel back the rear carpet a bit, drill a hole, drop in a rubber grommet, and feed the coax thru the hole in the floor? You can run the coax under the carpet all the way to the underside of the dash, then turn it back to the CB. To me, this sounds like a better option that keeping the cable exposed to the elements, and away from the tailgate or hardtop, and still keep the cable semi-hidden

·
Banned
470 Posts
Don't plan on ever removing that coax cable from your floor!

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
miseroth said:
Ok, I got my new CB Radio installed and the 8' whip antenna mounted, now I have to figure out how to attach the two.
I mounted the antenna on the passenger side of the rear bumper. Weather permitting, tomorrow (Sunday) I hope to go out and work on the truck.
I am considering two options to run the cable/wire from the antenna to the CB:

1. Go under the truck to the front, through the firewall and to the CB or

2. Go through the tailgate and through the inside of the truck to the front.

I guess it might help to know that the CB is mounted on the front of the ashtray.
I wondered if I might get the cable caught on something if I go under the truck. I also wondered if there is anyway to get the wire inside the truck by way of the tailgate, without crushing the wire in the tailgate.

Any thoughts...?!

Thanks!
Into the cab/through tailgate is your better bet. There is a way to route the cable, I have never had a problem. The cable is extremely important to good send/receive, so getting the best cable you can, staying with an 18' length, using an SWR meter to tune it, sealing all connections, and proper antenna mount are paramount.

I slapped on a good 4' whip once, and ran the cable to the CB, and I always got crappy send distance...then I bought 18' of good quality cable (will get you the part number if interested, can be had from RShack), borrowed a properly working SWR meter, carefully ran the cable inside, bought a whip as well (from Rshack again, roughly 5' or so, and adjustable), mounted to the tire carrier with all connections carefully sealed (and checking that the carrier was properly grounded to the vehicle) and whalllaaaa, outstanding send/receive from a regular old Shack $40 CB placed where the ashtray used to be. Part of the problem in my case is that I believe the best place to mount the antenna is on the front hood area. So, it is very important if mounting in the rear to carefully select how the antenna will be mounted.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I would say run it under the truck following the frame. Thats how mine is hever had a problem with it and you wouldnt even notice it there unless you were really looking and its very simple to do.

·
Banned
470 Posts
CS Radio Cable Installation

If you run it underneath the truck, it would be best to reinforce/secure it to the inner part of one of the frame rails. Many SUVs have wiring and stuff going through the frame rails and they never have problems.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Metalhead, Like David said, why not?

I ran mine two different ways. Right behind the rear bumper, I drilled a whole through the floor like david mentioned, put in a rubber gromit, and siliconed it so no water could ever seep through. (If it could ever get under) then I ran it to the front under the carpet.

The second way (currently have it) I drilled a tiny tiny hole on the lower edge of the hard top where it meets the tail gate. This part is not crucial to protecting the inside from water, so there is no probs with drilling this part. Once it's drilled, and you open up your tail gate, it's easy to see where you snake the wire through the rubber trim to the inside. The cable never gets caught, or crushed, stays out of the way. Then I just ran it up to the front. This I think will work best if your antenna is higher, but I woudl go through the floor if it is lower. (So the cable hides easier.)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a chance to take a look at it today (after I installd my new front and rear speakers to replace the stock ones). I decided on the following:

My truck had the interior spare tire carrier. I removed this a while ago but still have the two holes in the rear cargo area, all be it the holes have the screws still in them. I drilled the rearmost hole out a little larger and will run the cable from the antenna into the rear cargo area and up to the radio.

I need to go pick up a grommet and some plastic to wrap the cable in and I hopefully will be in business.

Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts