Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, I've looked around on different websites and searched a good deal, but I can't really find a definitive answer as to whether or not I should ground the black wire from my CB or connect it to the negative terminal of my battery. I've read to do both.

Sorry to ask the most elementary question. God knows I've read enough about SWR and coax cable length theory. Thanks.

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
Ground it, like anything else. As long as your battery cables & ground points are good, there's no reason to run ANY ground wire all the way to the battery. That'll only mask other problems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve83 said:
Ground it, like anything else. As long as your battery cables & ground points are good, there's no reason to run ANY ground wire all the way to the battery. That'll only mask other problems.
Thanks. Off the garage:rockon

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
As long as your neg battery cable is good, any ground you put to some good metal should be good as well.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
You can ground to the battery if you like, but you would get the best reception if you just ground th shortest length to a good ground on the frame etc. I cant say nothin, I am running a ground straight to the battery....

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
I wouldn't ground straight to the battery.

If your main ground cable ever goes bad, the whole truck would be grounded thru the CB

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GHOSTRIDER said:
You can ground to the battery if you like, but you would get the best reception if you just ground th shortest length to a good ground on the frame etc. I cant say nothin, I am running a ground straight to the battery....
So, for instance, a metal bolt that that holds down the brake pedal is fine?

P.S.- Thanks for the help guys.

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
There are no bolts on the pedal or even its bracket. The bracket has 4 nuts on the brake booster studs. While they'd probably work, it's not a good spot for a few reasons: the firewall & brake booster are painted, so even though the bracket is bare steel, it may not be grounded well; also, a wire (even a ground) shouldn't be routed that close to the moving parts of the pedals. The wire could be cut, or one of the pedals could get caught on it, or your foot could get tangled in it.

The best place is to any green factory ground screw. There are plenty in each kick panel. You can see one in the bottom R of this photo.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yeah, the best ground is the shortest length to a good ground...good advice, Too bad I havent taken it yet

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
i helped a friend wire a cb in and he grounded it to the frame and we could hear interferrence, the higher the rpm's the louder and higher pitched the sound was. same thig happened to my sister when she did hers. a noise filter will take care of the noise but thats more money to spend whenall you have to do is spend a few more minuets to find a better ground.

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
:topic
B&B
That "h" in the top center of your sig pic should be "H". If that's a capital H in that font: OK. But it doesn't look right. :shrug Otherwise, there should be no space between the "l" & "h".

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Mine is powered off the back of the cigarette lighter and grounded the same way the lighter is too. It has given me no problems or noise.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The more Grounding pionts u have the better.. I drive truck for a living and i use to just ground to the chasy now i do 2 chasy grounds and strait to the bat if one failes then it has a back up..

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
Check out the following article for routing power to a mobile radio:

http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html

While the article is geared toward HF mobile radio, the priciples still apply.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Steve83 said:
:topic
B&B
That "h" in the top center of your sig pic should be "H". If that's a capital H in that font: OK. But it doesn't look right. :shrug Otherwise, there should be no space between the "l" & "h".
its all one word actually, teufelhunden, i dont know why its seperated like that. but yeah i was lookin at that after you said it and it does look kinda goofy, but it dont bother me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts