Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of cb are y'all using.
what kind of features should i look for?
why are their civilian models?
what is the difference between a ham and a cb?
clueless, but have to get one.

thanks,

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I am using a cheep Radio Shack one, have had it for 12 or so years, works good enough for trail rides, dont need a lot of features, just on and off, is not for entertainment, the only thing you need to do is make sure that your antenae sticks up aboive the cab of your truck, so you can get out better. Remember, it is only for close quarter use.

A HAM is a highly sophisticated (at least in the minds of some) which requires a specific license to opperate, and will only go from ham to ham, and will not speak to, or be heard by CB;s...very uncommon on trails...

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
i run the Cobra 25LTD Classic. Good little radio. Has the quick channel 9 or whatever, but that is all the real features besides the standard stuff like the gain guage (mind went blank on the name of it) and lit display for the channel.

then i have a 4ft fiberglass antenna that I got from some random truck stop for 20 bucks. gets me good enough reception to hear a good distance.

I would recommend that over a ham any day.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
mine is a cheap cobra. it as the 10 noaa weather stations too.
mine worked like crap till i pulled power for it straight from the batt. had a ton of interfance in it when wired to the cig lighter.

check radio shack, and online for prices and to learn about what radio will best work for you in your buget.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
I run a Cobra unit.

4 Foot Fiberglass antenna. I get 5-6 miles pick up, when i toy with the RF gain and the squelch.

I think the CB is more entertaining than the radio anymore.

Since this thread is open already, i am going to Hijack a bit......what circuit did you guys wire your CB into? I run mine off a cigarette lighter adapter, but like said above, i get interference.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I have a cheaper Midland that i bought from a friend, with PA that is mounted under the hood.

Heres how i installed the CB

Then i use a 3ft Firestick antenna mounted to the Rear tire carrier. IT gets some interference from the fuel pump unfortunatly. I am still able to here good transmissions, and i mainly wanted it for the PA and for when i go offroading. Though i like to play around trying to connect to people on teh freeway (not too many people use them in CA)

PS, the mount is a swivel, so i can lower the antenna for low clearence parking garages and stuff.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
What dont I run???...Been into CBs for over 15 years....

http://photobucket.com/albums/v137/MUDDOG4X4/CBs/

My fave would be a RCI 2970 or 2950....But there not offroad radios...

For wheeling go with a Cobra...There cheap & Hold up well...I have a Uniden Pro 520XL (Modified) in my Jeep & not sure what will go into the ex TTC Bronco Im rebuilding...But being topless & doorless Ill go cheap...

Features???
RF gain is a biggy...This is your incoming
Mic gain...This is your output

Ham will get you out farther & you need a license...But you will also have to have others in your group that run them....

Civilian models? No clue what your talking about here...Pretty much whats out there to buy is civilian....

What kind of features should you look for?....What do you want from the radio???...You can go from a basic radio to the 2 I mention above & beyond....The basics are Squelch(They all have this),& the NB/ANL button which is a noise blocker...Same a squelch but does it automatic...

You dont need a PA but all to most come with it...

If you really want to get out you can get an Amp...There illegal for CB radio but you can buy them...I have from a 20 watt to 600 watt that I run...I have vid of 70,000 watts in action...Ask Ill post the link

As for antennas...Fire sticks are good...I also ran a 102 inch whip off the tire carirer & was directional off the pass front end...This meaning I got the best respection off that corner...

On the above set up & a cheap radio I have talkd around the world shooting skip...On my home base I have done the same but its been easier...

With Fords you will ALWAYS get engine noise(The hum or engine whine)...You can get a filter thru Radio Shack...But you will have a 50% chance that it wont work..ALWAYS wire your radio to the battery...Both the neg & pos & have a fuse inline...Its also sugested to run the shortest neg you can...Iv done both & never had engine noise...This was pushing 800 watts output on an 88 Bronco...Also run RG-8 coax...I cant remember the lenght but its like 16 to 18 inches to run to get the best out of it & duel antennas suck...

You will also have to get your SWRs(Standing Wave Ratio) set..You can eather buy a meter,Which is way cheap at Radio Shack or have a CB shop set it...

Heres a link to ANYTHING you need to know about antennas

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

& heres a GREAT place to get CB/Radio/FRMS raido info

http://forum.worldwidedx.com/

Ill try to answer any questions you have...

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
BroncoSka said:
what kind of cb are y'all using.
Cobra 19DX III, not fancy, but small and good enough for trail use. And it fits into the hole where I removed the ash tray.

BroncoSka said:
what kind of features should i look for?
Depends on if you are looking for something basic or fancy. If you're looking strictly for trail use, I would, and did, go the cheap route. The main feature I was looking for is an outside public address speaker output. It is handy for yelling at people outside the rig without actually having to yell. VERY handy on the trail, good for coordinating extractions, etc.

BroncoSka said:
why are their civilian models?
I'm not familiar with non-civilian models, the Citizens Band (CB) is set aside for unliscensed use. It is not a military or law enforcement band.:shrug

BroncoSka said:
what is the difference between a ham and a cb?
Ham radio is a liscensed set of frequencies, for the most part FM, higher power, otherwise known as amateur radio, generally has far superior range and audio quality, is able to access repeaters to GREATLY increase coverage. I'm a ham operator and I think it is a great addition to your rig.

CB is unliscensed, AM, low power, unable to access repeaters, and is designed to cover relatively small areas.

My reccomendation would be to have both a CB and a dual band Ham rig which can access both the 2 meter and 70 cm bands. That effectively gives you three good modes of communications in the event of an emergency. I also reccomend carrying a set of FRS portable radios.

BroncoSka said:
clueless, but have to get one.

You'll get it figured out, just keep studying. One other thing, having your antenna properly tuned is of massive importance. It will make the differrence between not being able to talk across the parking lot and having several miles of coverage.

BroncoSka said:
No problem.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have one similar to this one. I dont have the echo board or roger beep on mine. Other than that it is pretty good radio. I have had it for about 8 years. I still have to put it in my Bronko. I havent used it in about 5 years but when I did it would defiently get out there and talk. It would light up a flouresent light bulb if you put it near the antenna.

edit: I forgot the link http://cgi.ebay.com/COBRA-29-LTD-CLASSIC-CB-NIB-WITH-EXTRAS-CB-RADIO-COBRA_W0QQitemZ5846216934QQcategoryZ40055QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Just a little FYI. if you go straight to the battery for ground its def. a good idea(like someone else said) to put a fuse in there. Because if your neg. battery cable every falls off/corrads or whatever the battery will try to ground the whole truck thru your cb. Which probably wouldn't be good for the radio. I would just clean off a good spot and ground it with a screw or use a hefty factory ground.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
I run a high quality antenna from the rear tire rack (~4') and currently have an older Cobra with few features but very good reception. When things are caught up and I have some extra cash, I'll be going for something with WX.

:santa
Bill

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
quick question, also it may be a good lesson.

I ran the wires for the antenna along the frame and fuel lines under the car and up above the transfer case. For people that know, is this a bad way to run it, will it cause more interference.

Also, is there a better way to run it from the spare tire carrier.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
:shocked

Well I guess I have a load to learn before I buy an antenna. I was really considering the Cobra 19DX III just like Dave up there, (glad someone has it here who knows how it performs) but I don't know what kind of antenna to get, or where to mount it, or how to tune it, etc. Plus I need a PA horn too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I remember somthing about the antenna coax needing to be 18ft long for the perfect SWR reading. Anyone know what I am talking about here? I plan on using a 101 whip. I have a magnetic wilson 1000 I think. I know it is a wilson. The coax in it has been changed out to a long high quality one.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
slim said:
I remember somthing about the antenna coax needing to be 18ft long for the perfect SWR reading. Anyone know what I am talking about here? I plan on using a 101 whip. I have a magnetic wilson 1000 I think. I know it is a wilson. The coax in it has been changed out to a long high quality one.
Yes its 18ft....Thats the ideal length & any unused should stay coild up...

Wilsons are good antennas but Id go for a Fire Stik or if your on road only theres high end antennas out there...

I ran a 102 fiberglass off the tire carier...Fiber is better than the steel ones but not as strong...Also...ALOT of offroad orgs wont let you run 102s on the trail...The whip to much & can get bi-standers...

Ptack1s set up is good...Thats how to mount the antenna...I ran mine on the lower bar of the carier & as far outboard as possable...If you run off the carrier 1/2 the anteena needs to be OVER the roofline...The perfect mount is dead center on the roof of the vehical..

You can go wrong with the Cobra 19DX III ...I have 2 of the origanal Cobra 19s & did some work inside them to turn up the power...With a Cobra 19(Tweekd & Peakd) & a 102 in the Bronco I have talkd to all 50 states &
Jamaica off this cheap radio....If looks are a consern & you dont want to drill holes theres always the Cobra 75WXST ...Its an all in 1 hand unit & the nain part mounts under the dash out of the way...Below is a link to a Jeep site & shows everything you get & how it mounts...I bought 1 for my Superduty so I didnt have to drill holes...

http://jeepin.com/features/cobra75/index.asp

Remember to run a constant length of power & ground wire with no splices oe soldering...With each connection you loose some power to the radio...You want the best most direct current...

Ziggy_Moto...Read my other post...The Fire Stik site will tell you how to tune your antenna...The SWR meters are cheap at Radio Shack...

slim??...Explain the coax on your antenna more???..Who changd it & why??

Hope this helps more...Iv been into Cb radios since 86...I currently have well over $5,000 into all my equiptment & around 3o radios,amps & other toys......

·
Registered
548 Posts
MUDDOG7375 said:
slim??...Explain the coax on your antenna more???..Who changd it & why??
Because it came with only like 12ft of really thin coax. And my buddy who was into CBs did it. I had a hi drive palamar 400 and it was giving me high SWRs. The SWRs were fine after he changed out the coax for me.

I understand the whip whipping around, But cant you tie it down when you are offroading? You are only gonna be transmitting short distances.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts