Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some input on what CBs have a good track record for durability, range, and clarity. I don't want to spend a fortune, but realize there's something to the saying, 'You get what you pay for.' Thanks guys.

Steve

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
i bought a cobra off of my cousin and it looks and works good for being 5 years old, im thinking of doing a dual 4ft antenna setup, but i dont know yet, just my .02

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The Cobra 25 or 29 LTD Classic will out live you. Truck stops are a great place to pick one up if you don't have a CB shop in your area.

The 25 LTD Classic MSRP $99.99 but you can usually get one for under $80.

The 29 LTD Classic MSRP $129.99 but you can usually get one for under $100.00.

I have a 29 in my Bronco. It's at least 17 years old and has lived on the road with me when I was a driver and then lived in 2 other rigs before the Bronco.

I bought a Texas Ranger CB for my tow rig. I am not at all happy with it. It has quality issues that I'm having a hard time living with. I'm probley goning to pull it out and replace it with a 25LTD NW.

Another thing to remember is your antenna and mic play a major part in how good your system works. Also a good external speaker makes all the difference in the world. I'm able to hear my cb rolling down the hi-way in the Bronco over the sound of bias ply's and the cd player cranked as well as hear the one in my Super Duty cruzin' on the hi-way over the Power Stroke and the entertainment system cranked all due to having an external speaker properly placed.

If you want to spend more money Magnum and Galaxy make great products and for "bang for the buck" Uniden is you best bet if you want a unit under $75.00.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,582 Posts
I got my current CB from a yard sale for $5..its a KMart brand IIRC.

Been working for atleast 6 years....good enough for my use.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
I think I have the undien 510 or 520. Cheap litle thing and its lasted a lot of years in the bronco. its also been tweaked to get like 15 or 20 watts out of it, instead of the 5 it comes with from factory.

Go to CBradiousa.com/

its a vendor oon pirates that has good prices and tweaks CB's before mailing them out.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
unixdude said:
Are you sure about that being 52 watts? If it is, be careful about how and where you operate that, because it's illegal per FCC:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/47cfr95.410.pdf.
:goodfinge

stangmata50l said:
What?! That had to have the living shit tweeked out of it.
:twotu:

My output rating was verified by an electrical engineer that specs and tunes mobile radios for emergency communications.

Adrianspeeder

·
broncofied
1,476 Posts
I run a uniden xl78 weather surfer. IT's a good one. Only thing different between cobra and uniden is name and price. It's been good to me. Clear good power but it think i want a linear, and always get one with a weather watch on it.:popc1:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Galaxy .... But I gotta have that bling.. I put a diamond plate cover on it and have a 102inch whip anttenna. It is peeked and tuned 5 watts when keyed up then it swings to 35 watt.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
cr69ml said:
Galaxy .... But I gotta have that bling.. I put a diamond plate cover on it and have a 102inch whip anttenna. It is peeked and tuned 5 watts when keyed up then it swings to 35 watt.

That's killer:thumbup

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I bought the top of the line Radio Shack CB (Cobra look-a-like) and I couldn't get that thing to work for shit at Uwharrie...probably the operator more than the product though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The biggest thing to having a GOOD sound and not frying the cb is getting the SWR numbers matched up. If the cb dosent have a meter on it to check that I would suggest borrowing one or taking it to a cb shop/communications shop and have them match it and peek it out. It is only about 50 buck for them to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts