·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clogged Cat of the month.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,582 Posts
cats? they taste just like chicken. ummm...that aint clogged-- it was still running, correct?

before you replace it, check the condition that caused it...don't FUBAR the new one.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Did Seafoam do that ?

Sixlitre

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
107K miles and I only know how it was treated for the last 4K. I have had a problem with top end power since I got it. I suspected a clogged cat but looked at the second one which was OK not realizing there were two cats in there. Someone pointed out to me a few months ago that the ugly Y-pipe was hiding another cat. :wacko <- me.

I installed a Bassani Y-Pipe with a high flow cat and reworked my flowmaster to a 3" in/out. I'M SORRY BUT I CAN'T HEAR NOW CAUSE IT'S SO LOUD! :toothless I have the power back I was missing. I got one mandrel bent u (two 90's) from Jegs but will need to more to complete the exhaust.

Edit: forgot to add. I had a bad Oxygen sensor. I don't know if that contributed or not. I'm searching for more info on the web other than "If it's clogged it's bad".

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Fouled plugs can cause unburned fuel to overheat the converter and melt the catalyst to a solid mass. If the O2 Sensor is not functioning properly it will give the ECU incorrect readings of exhaust gasses. The faulty sensor can cause an excessively rich or excessively lean condition. If the mixture is too rich, the catalyst can melt down. If the mixture is too lean, the converter is unable to convert the hydrocarbons into safe elements.
Add to the above post. When I changed the plugs after I bought it, the two right rear plugs were OEM originals with 103k miles on them. I think the combo of the two just melted the whole thing. From the back side about 90 percent to the squares were plugged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts