Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having grown up in New Jersey and now living in the south I can breath a sigh of relief knowing the insane laws of that state are behind me...

On that note I wanted to start looking into the CCW process. I go to school and spend most of my time in Florida, however I am legally a Georgia resident at the moment (who knows after I graduate next year but Florida would make the most sense)

That being said, which state should I go ahead and start applying in? Florida would seem like the best one being as you don't actually need to be a resident, plus odds are I will be living here for at least a few years after graduation.

Previous firearms experience has been in Boy Scouts with shot guns and rifles so pistols are new to me-I have been wanting to learn for awhile now. What would be the best route for me to go on learning and being deemed proficient?

Also-how does renting a house/apartment (moving into a house in May) affect the Florida Castle laws?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Dogs for security

It really is a tough call. The little yappers are great at wakeing you up. You take care of business from there.
If you really want a dog to take care of business, there are a bunch of breeds that can help you. Dobermans, German Shephards, Pit Bulls, but my favorite is the japanese Akita. They are very smart, very big(males 120#) and are very protective of their family. It is a tough decision, research the above breeds and go from there.

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Both states recognize each other. So id say it doesnt matter which one you get, just research and go with the cheapest.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
as for practicing. Get a not so expensive .22 pistol (Browning buckmark or ruger MkII or MkIII are great). This allows you to learn to shoot pistol VERY cheap, so you can practice more, and you dont develop bad habits early on based on recoil. A win win if you ask me.

Then grab what you think you want to carry with, its hot in FL id imagine, so remember what kind of clothing you will be wearing. Then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

And definatly you know you want the responsibility of carrying a gun on you, and if you are ok with the decision of using it if you absolutly have to. Not everyone wants that responsibility and to be that accountable for their actions, not saying thats you, but make sure anyway.

Oh yea, pistols kick ass, i got my 1911 (after about a year of practice on .38spl and .22's) and absolutly love it, wish i could carry, but ill have to wait till im LE.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang-georgia is alot cheaper-and doesn't require proficiency testing...interesting. I gotta figure out what I am gonna use for proof of residency thou...

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as for practicing. Get a not so expensive .22 pistol (Browning buckmark or ruger MkII or MkIII are great). This allows you to learn to shoot pistol VERY cheap, so you can practice more, and you dont develop bad habits early on based on recoil. A win win if you ask me.

Then grab what you think you want to carry with, its hot in FL id imagine, so remember what kind of clothing you will be wearing. Then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

And definatly you know you want the responsibility of carrying a gun on you, and if you are ok with the decision of using it if you absolutly have to. Not everyone wants that responsibility and to be that accountable for their actions, not saying thats you, but make sure anyway.

Oh yea, pistols kick ass, i got my 1911 (after about a year of practice on .38spl and .22's) and absolutly love it, wish i could carry, but ill have to wait till im LE.
Ne idea how much a .22 conversion kit for a 1911 runs?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Ne idea how much a .22 conversion kit for a 1911 runs?
couple hundred I believe. Not a bad way to go either, get to practice with the gun you shoot higher caliber with.

But I want 2 guns so i can show people to shoot also. And dont have to switch around stuff when I want to shoot .45

Plus I like the MkII's and buckmarks. Good upgrade-ability too.:thumbup

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
Also-how does renting a house/apartment (moving into a house in May) affect the Florida Castle laws?
The Florida "Castle Doctrine" law basically does three things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others.

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Florida "Castle Doctrine" law basically does three things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others.

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.
So basically I toss a copy of my lease to the cop who is dragged the tool of my front porch and I am good.

Do you have any recommendations of places in the area I could go to practice/learn the basics?

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
So basically I toss a copy of my lease to the cop who is dragged the tool of my front porch and I am good.
It doesn't matter if your home is a house that you own, a rented apartment, an RV or a hotel room...you could be homeless and the law would still cover you.

Do you have any recommendations of places in the area I could go to practice/learn the basics?
These are the three ranges closest to you that I'm aware of...any of them should be able to help you get started with the basics.

Melbourne - Action Gun Outfitters, Inc., 2787 Aurora Road, Melbourne, FL 32935.
Phone: 407-242-1114
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (50 ft)
Range Access: Public

Merritt Island - Gun Site Range Inc., 125 S. Banana river Dr., Merritt Island, FL 32952.
Phone: 321-453-2071
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yards)
Hours of Operation: call for hours

Vero Beach - Indian River Sportsman Indoor Target Range, 4185 N US1 , Vero Beach, FL 32967.
Phone: 772-778-4844
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yrd), Indoor Rifle (25 yrd)
Hours of Operation: 7 DAYS A WEEK
Email: [email protected]

If you want to become seriously proficient, there are two "gunfighting schools" (for lack of a better term) in Florida that I'm aware of; Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof, run by Frank Garcia...

http://www.frankgarciausa.com/

and Lethal Force Institute in Live Oak, run by Massad Ayoob...

http://www.ayoob.com/

I know Massad personally and he is probably the leading expert in lethal force dynamics in the U.S.

Frank Garcia is a one of the top ranked USPSA shooters in the world.

So both of these guys know their shit. :thumbup

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Dad and I put in my applications last Thursday in GA, should have my license in the mail within the next week.

Gun show this weekend, so I will go and get an idea of what is cheap locally. I will be joining the local gun club as well (http://www.pmrpc.com/) They do the safety courses there, which is great b/c its less then 5 min from my house.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The public range in Sebastian is an awesome place to shoot. Take 95 south to Rt512 and head east for about a mile. Take a left at the sign for the range and you're there.

Action Gun Outfitters on Aurora is a good place to buy, and shoot. They have a small 75' indoor range that's not bad. I bought a sweet Colt Trooper MKIII from them a few years back, and they let me shoot a box of ammo through it before I bought it. They also have classes for CCW and they're reasonable.

Ammo Attic off the main drag is where I did most of my shopping. Dan is a fair guy and worked with me on a few transfers I did over the years.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The public range in Sebastian is an awesome place to shoot. Take 95 south to Rt512 and head east for about a mile. Take a left at the sign for the range and you're there.

Action Gun Outfitters on Aurora is a good place to buy, and shoot. They have a small 75' indoor range that's not bad. I bought a sweet Colt Trooper MKIII from them a few years back, and they let me shoot a box of ammo through it before I bought it. They also have classes for CCW and they're reasonable.

Ammo Attic off the main drag is where I did most of my shopping. Dan is a fair guy and worked with me on a few transfers I did over the years.
Yea, I know about that one, its right near where I work, I have heard its a nice range. By the looks of the prices at most places if I go to the local club 10 times I will get my money back.

I knw were Ammo Attic is at and I had planned to make a trip up to aurora to shoot a few things before I bought.

Here is another good site...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

It is only like $40 for a permit in Ga and it takes about 6 to 8 weeks to get.;)

Thanks, like I said above I applied last Thursday-considering they already gave me a court date of Friday to plead my right to have the permit it should be at my parents house tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Apparently Cherokee county has stepped up the speed as the case law now states it can't take more then 60 days to obtain. Some people have been getting them in as few as 4 business days. It would be nice to have the permit in hand in the event I do buy something at the local show this weekend-no waiting period.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So The license arrived at my parents house last thursday, a week after I applied for it-not bad at all considering the 4th was in there as well.

My NRA membership pack came in today-did you guys take out the free $6000 insurance policy?

They sent sum nifty stickers too-my question is if I put them on my truck does it say don't F*** with me or does it make some potential thief say there may be a gun in my truck?

·
Registered
512 Posts
They sent sum nifty stickers too-my question is if I put them on my truck does it say don't F*** with me or does it make some potential thief say there may be a gun in my truck?
That's kinda up to you, but in my opinion, the fewer the people that know you own a gun the better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts