Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ive just been working on my new JVC cd/mp3 player :thumbup and i ran into a snag. I got the player to turn on and work but my problem is that there is no sound.....here are some pics

the second picture is hard to see but that is the ford premium sound connector and i put the wires into it according to this site:
http://www.installdr.com/http://www.installdr.com/

but also me and my friend noticed something isnt working because he accidentaly rubbed those wires and then touched them and found he didnt get shock so i guess no power is running to those wires for some reason. thanks for the help :thumbup

oh also if you guys could give me the easiest solution to this because ive never had to do such serious work as this before on my bronco and i am obviously a newbie still thanks again!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
No worries man, that's what we are here for. I assume you know that those wires in your hand are the speaker output wires from your new head unit. Those will not give you a shock. It is very low outuput and not like 120v which will give you a shock. Since you have that sweet Ford Premium sound (JK) instead of the normal system I am not as familiar with it. But I imagine it is pretty much the same from the looks of your second pic. The easiest thing to do would be to get the custom harness that plugs into your vehicle harness in your second picture. Then you simply connect those speaker output wires to the ends of the wires from the custom harness. I am guessing you do not have a harness so the next best thing is to cut the vehicles speaker wires on the harness 2-3" back from the harness. This will allow you room to splice it back in if you need to in the future. Then simply splice those wires into the ones from your head unit. Be sure not to leave any bare wires. The best thing is to use solder and shrink wrap tubing. But butt connectors work fine too. To check which wires on the vehicle harness go to which speakers follow these simple steps. Take two of the same colored wires from your head unit, one being the ground and the other being positive. Then simply touch them to any of the sets of two wires in the harness. Do this before you cut the harness just to be sure everything works. Then simply mark those wires referencing whichever speaker went on. Then you do the same with the others until you have it all figured out. Hope that helps. BTW do not use electrical tape. It corrodes easily and can damage your connections.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you that helped a lot now i just gotta wait till tomarrow because tonight i just went out to best buy and they didnt have the harness to connect it so i think i would rather wait than have to go through and cut back and splice because that was not recommended in the instructions thanks again!:thumbup

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also i guess just putting those wires into the the holes in the ford sound unit thing in the right order dosnt work? i tried it and nothing happend or maybe i didnt have enough bare wire to get a good connection with them? or maybe it just dosnt work like that?:shrug

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Marauder said:
also i guess just putting those wires into the the holes in the ford sound unit thing in the right order dosnt work? i tried it and nothing happend or maybe i didnt have enough bare wire to get a good connection with them? or maybe it just dosnt work like that?:shrug
That should work as long as you are making the connection. Are you sure your head unit is picking up a radio station or that a cd is playing and the volume is up? Another option is to get any old speaker and connect it to one of the sets of wires from the head unit. It can be a car speaker or home speaker. But if it is a home speaker do not connect the wires for more than a second or two as you can ruin your receiver. Just hold them there for a split second to see if you get music.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the CD is playing cuse we put one in and it was reading and giving us the play time and then we checked volume and we turned it up and down and nothing. so i guess the next step is to go to the ford dealership and ask for a wiring harness that connects to the ford premium sound so i can splice to that? because i dont see any other places that sell them. thanks again

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Ford won't have anything. You should call Crutchfield. They have everything imaginable. If they don't have it then it does not exist and you will have to cut the wires.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i got the problem sloved i went to sounddomain.com where i got it and now i have the ford premium sound connector comming in 2-3 days (damn i wish i didnt have that stupid ford premium sound crap and i wouldnt have had this problem lol oh well live and learn:thumbup ) thanks for your help! also thanks for the info on the electrical tape because i didnt know that:thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts