Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i pulled some codes off my 89 bronco and was wondering if some of ya'll might be able to help me. here are the codes i got

84 - EGR vacuum solenoid circuit falt
45 - hego lean at wot
31 - PFE or EVP circuit below min volt

i know the basics pretty well but this one is outta my hands.

thanks

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Complimants of Steve83

Check your electrical connection on the EVR. It may be hanging there. (vibration) If not, pull it of and clean both sides of the connection with rubbing alcohol. Let it dry, and then hook it back up. See what happens. You may also want to clean your EGR with some carb cleaner. Also check the attatching vacuum lines for cracks or pinholes.

The hego lean at wide open is gonna be caused by the EGR problem, which is probably caused by the EVR. (domino effect) If you clean the connection, and it doesn't help, then I'd hook up a volt meter to the power source.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright thanks, before i posted the questions i dicked around alittle and noticed when i unpluged the EVR that it didn't change the way the truck ran and it was a normal temp, seemed kinda odd to me. is there a posibility that the EVR might have gone bad. never seen one go bad but i quess it could happen.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
You got those codes wrong. Here is the corect meanings:
31 - EVP circuit below minimum voltage
45 - Thermactor secondary air is misdirected

Fix the EGR valve sensor (#31)
#45 & 84 don't affect anyhting with the enigne running. You can check the wiring to the EGR vacuum solenoid or replace it if you want. #45 could be a vacuum line in the worng place.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Sure it could go bad. Electronics can be a mystery, but they can all break. But, just because you unplugged it and had no change, doesn't mean that the EVR is the problem. If you have no voltage going to the EVR, then you're problem is elsewhere. Trace it back to the power source. What year is your truck?

This is from a chart I have for testing sensors:

EVR resistance test
-key off, wait 10 seconds
-disconnect EVR solenoid from harness
-connect ohmmeter to solenoid
Results:
20 to 70 ohms (good)

if not replace EVR

PWR at EVR solenoid:
-key off, disconnect harness
-KOEO ( key on engine off) measure voltage at harness (red) from VPWR and bat. negative
Results:
voltage greater than 10.5 VDC

if not, harness or computer is bad

If it is the EVR, I've never had to replace one before, but they can't be that expensive. Maybe Fireguy can help you with that.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Ahhh, that makes sense too. I guess I shoulda double checked his codes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ok thanks, i got the codes off of that ford fuel injection.com site. maybe there wrong or i looked at it wrong. alright i think i got this but, the egr valve sensor for code 31 where is that?
thanks

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
southerntrax said:
oh ok thanks, i got the codes off of that ford fuel injection.com site. maybe there wrong or i looked at it wrong.
:twak that's my site, I wrote it :twak you worte:
45 - hego lean at wot
31 - PFE or EVP circuit below min volt
my site says:
31 - EVP circuit below minimum voltage
45 - Thermactor secondary air is misdirected
84 - EGR vacuum solenoid circuit failure

Not sure where you got those codes, but they aren't even writen the same

southerntrax said:
alright i think i got this but, the egr valve sensor for code 31 where is that?
thanks
egr valve sensor is the EVP in this pic:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i got them right. i did it twice just to double check my work. today i found the EVP on the drivers side that has the vacuum lines running from it, the piece that holds the terminal in the connector broke so when it was pluged in the wire just poped out. i am going to head to the junk yard to get a connector for it. i did find a way though to hook it up for now and i have vacuum at the egr when before i had nothing.
thanks for ya'lls help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts