Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd throw up my own take on a custom center console and a quick how-to on making a simple control switch mount

I kept the original center chest and added a simple platform console in front of that using 1X12 and 1X10 pine planks. Came out pretty good I think. Right now, its still just roughed out. I plan on adding grey vinyl lining to the side boards to make it match. On that, I mounted a flex shaft cell holder and just today, added my control switch panel. I then used some of the left over metal to make a cover for where the ash tray used to be. Came out pretty good I think.

The bare center console.

W/ cell holder. I added an outlet to the center chest for convenience.

Added holes to the sides for more storage.

Finally got around the building the switch panel. It was easier than I expected. A sheet of 12X18 inch sheet metal and some screws was all it took. First, I cut out the center piece and folded it. Next, I cut out the side triangles, with tabs so I could screw them to the center piece. All it took then was fitting them all together and screwing it down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A week later, and I've finally got around to wiring things to my new control panel.
The left switch is for my reverse lights. The second is for my fog lights. I'd already had those wired up, but I had the switch on the dash, right next to the steering wheel. It took me a while to figure out how to wire in the indicator light for the fog lights.

I added a new fuse panel to the inside of the console. It should give me up to 6 more switches I can run through it. Right now, I'm just using one for the reverse lights.
The fuse panel is wired directly to the battery. All I need to do to add additional switches is wire them into each fuse as I use them. I routed the wires up through the wood top and under the control panel.

I added an indicator light for the fog lights, so I knew when they were on. The switch for the reverse light has an indicator light on the switch itself. I may swap their positions later, but for right now, what I've got is just fine.

For the reverse light itself, I ran the red wire through the tire mount frame. I intended to route both wires, but didn't make the holes big enough. And since the frame is black, I got lazy and just tied the black wire to the frame with tape and wire ties. I also managed to wire the new lamp into the original reverse light system so it comes on when I put it into reverse. The switch is just so I can turn it on independently.

Hmmm.... What should I add next?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to upload pics of the wiring under the control panel.

I should mention that all wires that have tape on them were soldered together, and not just twisted. I do things right!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got a night shot of my new light. I also replaced the old bulbs in the normal reverse lights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little update on my console. I finally got some rocker switches to replace the original toggle switches, which looked like [email protected] Looks much cleaner now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts