Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first writeup so let’s see how it goes. I’ve been thinking about places where to install some gauges, VHF and my GPS. The problem is that I would like to keep the original interior of my Bronco so drilling, bonding or any other modification that looked not original was not an option. I decided to go for a new center console that would look as original equipment and in case I get tired of it I could remove it with no holes remembering the past…. I saw many outstanding jobs from you guys (specially TRUCKY18 that looks amazing!!!) that were my first inspiration, but none of them had the “original” touch I was looking for (IMO), so I decided to go my way and try to build one by myself. The main idea was to use an original radio bezel (upside down) and try to follow the twisted shape of the dash. I also decided to give it a try with polyurethane foam and fiberglass which I used in my youth for repairing surfboards. Please also check this link with an outstanding job performed by Mabeita, a real Pro.
Check the link to my Supermotors page for the details. Hope you enjoy it.

My center console project

final.JPG

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
:shocked

Damn that looks good.......... I don't know how long that took you, but it's a freakin work of art!! You should be damn proud of that thing. It looks factory.

Thanks for sharing----Fog

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Working with foam and fiberglass is not difficult, I didn't do it straight forward so it took long time but my guess is that it's a 40 hours job.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Looks good, nice job

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Looks good. That bezel in the console is the one I am looking for. What year did it come out of. See it has the retangle cut out like your one in the dash but it don't have the raised area around the radio like the one in the dash does.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
sweet job bro. that is really cool.
you should be proud of your craftsmanship man.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This bezel was in the truck when I bought it, most likely from an FXXX series because it was a local part (made in Argentina). Last year I bought the burloak one in USA and imported it.
Check these links

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-86-Ford-Truck-XL-Woodgrain-Radio-Bezel-Ford-Bronco_W0QQitemZ8046113935QQcategoryZ40017QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-86-FORD-TRUCK-BRONCO-RADIO-BEZEL-RANGER-XLT_W0QQitemZ8046632043QQcategoryZ40017QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are similar but from time to time one like the one you're looking for is listed.

Regards

Rodolfo

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
I had a woodgrain one like the one you have in your console. I sold it caus I don't like the woodgrain. I will keep an eye out.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
The 2 that you posted in ebay have the big square cut out. They won't work for me. I need the one like your console. Let me know if you happen to run across a black one on ebay.

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
im about to get started on mine sometime this week

the frame is gonna be made out of wood
its gonna have a 3 guage pod at the top, w/ a cb radio under that, after that a place for my ipod, switched for my lights/car alarm/radio changer
and under that i mount for my amp!

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
I got on paint and made a "supposed model" of what mine should look like

im either gonna
1. fiberglass it and paint it tan to match my interior
or
2. use a metal and paint it white w/ a tan stripe and the bottom to match the outside of my car
3. use woodgrain that matches the woodgrain on my interrior

but anyways heres what it might look like

and fromt the top

tell me what you think of it...i should get started in the next week or so
but it'll proably take me awhile since im still in school

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
since i have started to install the new manual xfercase, and now have a shifter to contend with, i have started to screw with the center console, that i started a month or so ago.
when i started i new that i needed a spot for my aux switches, cb, cell phone and some misc electronics. but now that i have a shifter coming out of the transmission tunnel, i am redoing the whole damn thing to accomodate it.

here is what i started with...

i have decided to make it entirely out of metal this time. i will use the wood as a template for some 1/2 tubing and 18-22g sheetmetal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all of you guys, but my advice is to go for it! It’s not difficult at all! Foam is a piece of cake, you can try the shape and if there's any mistake just bond it and sand it. Much easier than working with wood were you blow it and forget it....Once the shape is done, fiberglassing is not a science or black magic. The final touch was done by a car painter so he can take care of all mistakes still remaining. Believe me, once you get the touch is really easy.
I finished assembling my gauges tonight (still not connected) so I’ll post some pictures tomorrow.
Any questions, I'm here.
Thanks again
Rodolfo

·
Registered
490 Posts
lightnin said:
Looks good. That bezel in the console is the one I am looking for. What year did it come out of. See it has the retangle cut out like your one in the dash but it don't have the raised area around the radio like the one in the dash does.
looks liek the one i had in my 81. it was all black. and clock spot is filled. yea definetly looks liek the 81 i have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts