Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I pulled the center console out of my '95 to clean the truck.

I planned to build a diamond-plate aluminum center console with a hinged lid. With a lock for a handgun, laptop, phones, etc. And some cup holders bolted off the front, facing the shifter.

Since then, I've had no center console at all. And I love it.

I've always got some item that I'm carrying that I need to get from A to B. That space between the seats is pretty big.

I can throw a duffel there, car battery, groceries, etc. If you've been carrying it in your hands, it's probably going to fit there.

My dog can come up and sit between the human seats for a better view of the trail.

So for me, taking the console out was an upgrade. Now, what do I do?

Well, I might just leave it.

But I'm thinking that I'll build that metal lockbox after all. Instead of coming up to arm-rest height though, maybe I'll leave it no more than 2 - 3 inches tall. And just let the cup holders be at floor height. Leave the top totally flat for putting stuff on. Diamond plate for some grip if putting soft objects on top.

What have you guys done? I like the jumper seat idea from an F250, but I think I'm going to try to keep rear seats, so shouldn't need a jumper in front.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
Yo MLC788,
I understand your idea and need.

We have in addition to a Tuffy console a six inch square steel Graybar electrical box w/hinge on one side (like a Tuffy console)
It has a turn-lock that can be replaced w/a keyed lock.
It can be barely seen in this pic forward on the Tuffy on the hump.

Height is 4 inches.
It's similar to this 12 W x 16 H x 6 w/ Hinged Cover

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm lookin' really hard at a set of these...accomplishes many things.

• Center console flips up to make a seat for little butts.
  • Leather
  • Power/heated
  • Cup holders
  • I can get rid of the stock seat belt "pods" to make better fit of a roll bar.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,129 Posts
I know this will not fit your needs, but I went the totally opposite direction. I put in a console from a 2003 Expedition in my truck. I like the idea and feel of a full console at arm rest with the high level cup holders. The storage area is huge.

I haven't completed it yet, kinda got put on the back burner. It is just sitting on the floor at this point but once I get it completely fitted I will post a write up on it.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,122 Posts
I rolled around for a while with no center console. It is great for everything you mentioned. I also did the same in my econoline. I could get to the back from the drivers seat, and I could haul 12' sticks of steel, flat on the floor.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,715 Posts
If u wanna keep that space between the seats open for doggo or duffles couldn't u build something closer to the fire wall on the hump? In a 96 that should be pretty open space, even with a stick... That's how yours is, right @miesk5 ?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've been running a Tuffy center console for years now and think it's a great product. However, I do like some of the F150 consoles various folks here have installed on their Broncos. Lots of options, just a matter of deciding what works best for you.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,187 Posts
Where are these from?
Looks like that picture came from here.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If u wanna keep that space between the seats open for doggo or duffles couldn't u build something closer to the fire wall on the hump? In a 96 that should be pretty open space, even with a stick... That's how yours is, right @miesk5 ?
Yeah, I should look at that again now that I'm thinking of doing a low-profile lockbox. When I was thinking of doing a full size piece, there wasn't enough room under the stick.

One more thing I like about not having a console is being able to walk into the back area.

In a passenger car, a console is nice for the arm rest. But our seats have arm rests built in.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,495 Posts
Bigger (like 50 cal) ammo can.
Or I have this simple wooden one in a f-250, looks nicer then the work involved. Just took some time to cover it.

Another thought, something like on of these
Small Tool Bag | PRP Seats or Baja Bag | PRP Seats or Tool Bag | PRP Seats
I have the Baja Bag in my 78 bronco on top of a console. I like this one as I can quickly take it off so when we have phones and stuff in it can take it with us. I run around topless a lot in this truck so it works nice.
Even a leather one like you would put on the front of a motorcycle may work for that spot pretty well.

·
Registered
1 Posts

You mean your dog doesn't do the driving for you? ;-).... We have a padded platform with carpet between the seats where the dog normally resides while driving and a cupholder/storage console on the hump....

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I'm with the low profile electrical box approach with cupholders bolted to the front. Coat the top with bed liner material for the dog to get good grip on and call it a day. Very wide and enough space for full size pistol, spare mags, and anything else you want to carry. Don't forget the dog treats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts