Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is about the interchangibility of the center consoles for the different generations. (78-79) (80-86) (87-91) (92-96)

From my searching I am thinking that all of the broncos have different mounting hole locations or floor locations.

So are any of the consoles interchangable between generations (bolt in) or work with just slight modification?

·
Banned
7,397 Posts
There are 3 distinct console designs, but only 2 mounting patterns: 4-screw ('78-91) & 3-screw ('92-96). The floor is shaped differently for '92-96, so a console won't fit correctly in the wrong year range body without some shimming.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I had a 95 center console in my 90. And a 90 center console in my 96. Both fit fine.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
was bored and verified steve83(not that i didn't believe him, was curious though)
my 88
96 i think

looks way different in the center, interesting

wonder why ford changed it?, thought the 92-96 tubs where the same as the 87-91 minus the firewall interesting

·
Banned
7,397 Posts
wonder why ford changed it?
This is just my guess, but I suspect the floor was reshaped to fit the E4OD better, and to accomodate the new-style seat bases, which followed ~3 TSBs about cracks in the older floor & seat bases.
thought the 92-96 tubs where the same as the 87-91 minus the firewall interesting
There are several other subtle differences, including: accomodation for the SRS falsing sensor in the R B-pillar, holes for cab steps, holes for the overhead console, additional holes & larger captive nuts for the improved camper shell roll bar, accomodation for rear shoulder belts, larger swingaway nut plate... There MIGHT also have been a change to the fuel filler well & door between '87 & 96 (there certainly was between '86 & '87).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. My plan was to see if I could get a 87-91 to fit the 79. Next time I see one in the JY I will pick it up and give it a try.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Anyone know what diameter and thread the center console bolts were on the 78-91s? If I can't find some in my hardware pile, I'll just wait till I snag some at the jy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts