Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2wd 79 f150 i want to replace the center link but ive never done it before so i have a couple questions,
1. can i jsut swap in the new one without screwing up the alignment (anymore than it already is)?
2.can i do it without jacking up the truck?

3. do in need to do any pressing?

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also i almost forgot i need to adjust the alignment (temporaraly) on my truck a bit cause its pulling to the right, can i do i by adjusting the tie rod adjustment sleve?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
colinlesser said:
on my 2wd 79 f150 i want to replace the center link but ive never done it before so i have a couple questions,
1. can i jsut swap in the new one without screwing up the alignment (anymore than it already is)?
2.can i do it without jacking up the truck?

3. do in need to do any pressing?
You might need to borrow a ball joint splitter fork or one of those clamping type seperators. That should seperate the link ends once you have the nuts off.

You can try removing the nuts, then re-installing them loosely and smacking them with a hammer to try and bust loose the studs, but if the fork or clamps are free to borrow, don't risk it.

If you count the number of threads and wind on the same number of threads you should be close enough to have the same alignment problems you already have:toothless .

There's a lot more to alignment than your tie rod end, but reference a starting point and try it, that's free, just your labour.

I don't understand why your Haynes doesn't outline this for you Colin. What's the matter ? Did you buy Chilton ?;)

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
colinlesser said:
un fortunately yes its chiltons
You gotta have a birthday coming up soon ?

Or break out the piggy bank and splurge, Haynes is worth the $12.00

Sixlitre

1 - 5 of 5 Posts