Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get 30' - 20' of chain with hooks on ea. end for towing, pulling, anchoring the Bronco, etc. Along with a 2"x30 or 3"x30 recovery strap.

My question, is will 5/16 chain rated at 4700lbs be strong enough for whatever I might find myself or others stuck in or do I need to get 3/8 chain rated at 6600lbs.

I have a Hi-Lift jack and will be getting the winching kit for it, also.

Winch will follow later!

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Consider what you're doing with it.

6600lbs is fine, as long as all you're doing is a direct pull with it. The moment you snatch with your 3 ton truck, that 3 tons worth of weight multipies. It's all about application, and using something in the wrong application can have hazardous results.

·
Forward Some Money
5,073 Posts
I dont think I would use chain. I would use the straps for weight and safety. Plus the nylon doesnt rust. I bought a wrecker and the included chains were like a pile of rusty dog crap. I use the straps for almost everything.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, bigger is better for the most part! I was thinking the recovery strap for pulling out Jeeps:goodfinge And, if I felt like getting a good work out I would use the chain with the Hi-Lift to manual jack/winch out those Jeeps!

Also, going to get 75'-100' feet of 3/8 cable and snatch block to double the load!

Looks like 3/8's is the way to go!:beer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts