Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
is it worth changin from a 351W to a 514?
will the 514 use allot more fuel than the 351(normal driving not offroading)
thanks

Ummm don't quote me on it, but I would think going from a 351 to a 514 would use alot more fuel.... :popc1: But man it would be worth the EXTRA money to get the sh1t eating grin off my face... :beer

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
isn't the 514 460 based?

tooken from crazed 351 on right, 460 on left, you tell me haha

·
Registered
221 Posts
isn't the 514 460 based?

tooken from crazed 351 on right, 460 on left, you tell me haha

Looking back at the engine the 351 is on the left and the 460 on the right(drivers side)

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,158 Posts
I would say depends on the 514. I could see where it might get about the same, if it was fairly mild. Also I'd look into a 520 as it only takes the bore .030 over

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes a 514 is a 460 block. Thatd be a bad ass bronco! I'm pretty sure it would end up using more fuel. And I'm pretty sure u would want to beef up the suspension, axles, drivetrain etc to handle the extra torque.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well in Norway the fuel do not cost 3-4 usd per gallon....
the price is 10,1 usd per gallon...........:duh
so if it will use allot more fuel i will, buy a overhauled 351W and a efi system for that :p

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
512 Posts
Just the added weight of the big block and upgrading all your axles, tranny etc.for the added torque of the 514 will bring down your mpg. Even if the motor used the same fuel at no load the extra weight and parasitic loses from the beefer drivetrain will make you loose an extra 2 mpg. If you are concerned only with added power and better mileage you need to go diesel.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
As you live in Norway, are there a lot of engine choices? Are there junkyards that specialize in American car parts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As you live in Norway, are there a lot of engine choices? Are there junkyards that specialize in American car parts?
they are around, but not many that got any Fords most chevy, and the few that got any fords don't have that big engines, and to buy a used 460 will cost over 5000 usd, and no warranty that says it will run......
but i got some friends that are buying cars from USA.
this is where i got my Bronco, it's 191 Broncos total in Norway:duh
and 60% of them is with a straight 6 and manual (shit) gear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Best bet would be to rebuild the 351. If you want more power, the windsor is a pretty popular engine, making it fairly easy to find parts(I would think).

And cheers to a Norwegian driving a Bronc. If I read your last post right, I never would have guessed there were almost 200 Broncos just in Norway, but then I have no idea how many Broncos were exported.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have been to Europe many times in my business travels, ya'll would be surprised at the number of broncos there. There is nothing quite like seeing a huge Bronco driving amidst a sea of tiny Fiats and Citreons! It is truly a giant over there!

Ya'll would also be surprised at the cost of fuel in Europe. This is one place where a diesel swap makes total sense. When 25 gallons of gas costs near $300 USD, a 6.9 or 7.3 idi diesel swap starts looking attractive. Should be a near bolt in if you can get a donor truck.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I can tell that 514 I have does use more gas than supercharged 351 I had but holy cow it got some balls and I can tell this engine is dangerous in a lifted Bronco and mild 460 or a befed up 351 is plenty and here in Iceland it cost me 250 dollars to fill up 32 gallons

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.