Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my last thread about ym project truck i told you all how i swapped motors into a 1996 bronco.
So now i have a 1996 full size bronco with a 93 ford 302 5.0 in it.
I knew that eventually i would have to swap the rear end of the 96 bronco out,and i have very basic questions about how i should start this.
For one do i have to switch the whole axle out or just the differential,or yolk?
All it does when put in back wheel drive is make a clanking sound and not move but i do hear the transmission click into gear,and i can move the truck in 4 wheel drive so i now the tranny and the front are good,right?
Also does anybody now the gears that come stock in the 1996 fullsize
Are they compatible or can i take the rear from my 1993 bronco and put it in the 1996 without any problems?

Please if you could answer some of these questions or point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated,thank you so much for your time,your favorite noob,mike.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
IIRC you have a yoke, not a flange so it should just be 4 bolts, and the leaf springs/u-bolts and just a few small things from there...

First I would make sure it's your rear axle - the way to do this is by putting it in drive, having someone look underneath (BUT NOT SIT UNDERNEATH) and make sure the drive shaft is spinning to the rear axle. If it isn't spinning then it's a problem in your xfer case. I'd assume that with it moving in 4wd that it is the rear diff that is the issue, but I've been wrong on more than 1 occasion.

Again, check the rear driveshaft to make sure it's turning. If it is, then yes replacement of the rear axle is in order. The way to do this is:

-Jack the rear of the truck up. Put the truck into 4wd, and park. This will lock the front wheels to keep the truck from moving. Chock the wheels anyway.

-Unbolt the 4 bolts where the driveshaft meets the pinion (the pointy piece of the rear axle facing towards transmission) This will allow you to roll the rear axle out later...

-you can now unbolt the U-Bolts where the leaf springs meet the rear axle and where it goes around the axle and the plate on top. There should be 4 nuts on each side and 2 giant U-shaped bolts on each side.

-Remove the 2 bolts from the shocks in the middle of the axle.

-You will also need to remove the brake lines and the e-brake cable. There are companies that make plugs for the brake lines, I've always just used a rag. You can pull the calipers and hang them up on the frame if you have caliper hangers. Be sure not to let them hang on the brake lines though, it will tear or bind them up.

-When you roll the rear axle out you still have the u-joint (a little cross shaped metal piece) that will still be on your driveshaft or rear axle. Make sure to pick it up and re-install later (it make the driveshaft turn the pinion in the axle)

MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU DO THE INSTALL YOU BLEED BRAKES AND HOOK THEM UP CORRECTLY. If you don't believe that you have the mechanical know-how to do the install, I would highly highly recommend taking to someone who can. It is easy for a mechanic. Not always easy for the DIY guy.

**edit**
Also, I forgot you have a tone ring/abs sensors that go to the rear axle that need to be removed also, and depending on where your breathers are (they should be tiny plastic lines) they will need to be pulled from where ever they are mounted to. Some people recommend taking the wheels off, but i like keeping them on so you can roll the axle around and not have to put it on jack stands or carry it by hand.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thank you so much for all that information,tomoorow i will be checking to see if the drive shaft is in fact turning and then moving on from there,however is there any way to change the rear differential without changing the whole axle,because i have another rear diff but the passenger side of the axle is ****ed basically because my tire fell off and it smashed into the ground,so is there anyway to fix the rear differential,maybe just the yolk of it or whatever,thank you so much.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Okay thank you so much for all that information,tomoorow i will be checking to see if the drive shaft is in fact turning and then moving on from there,however is there any way to change the rear differential without changing the whole axle,because i have another rear diff but the passenger side of the axle is ****ed basically because my tire fell off and it smashed into the ground,so is there anyway to fix the rear differential,maybe just the yolk of it or whatever,thank you so much.
Actually it might just be a broken axle shaft. Do you have pics of said smashed side?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do but that would be the axle i would be putting into my 1996 bronco,im probably just going to have this done at a mechanic shop cause i just got my taxes back and need this done before the snow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts