Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found answers to a lot of my questions by searching, but couldn't come up with anything on this. I have a crack in my exhaust manifol on my 1990 with the 5.0 V8. Seems like it'd be fairly simple 3 change out (as long as I don't break the bolts off - which I'm not sure if that's a big problem on these) Has anyone had to do this before? Any pointers or warnings you mite have? I've done this on my old t-bird and it wasn't that bad... but it wasn't nearly as dirty and rusty all in that area with the threat of stuff falling down in the motor while you're messing with it. Is it a pain to get the donut gasket in these? I'm just trying to decide if I should do this project myself or break down and pay a pro to do it. Thanx for any input.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
:rofl::histerica:rofl::histerica:rofl::histerica
O.K O.K I am done......
:rofl::histerica:rofl::histerica

Ahhhhhh thats better. Sorry here I will give some advice HEADERS. My passenger side is cracked and drivers side is in 2 pieces. How I removed mine without breaking bolt/studs was a lot of P.B. Blaster and some heat. Areas to watchout for are the engine hoist plates they will hold rust and cause things to break off. Take your time and be patient it will take a while but you will get there. Good luck. Also be careful of any brackets also.

·
Forward Some Money
5,073 Posts
just go ahead and do a pre-emptive strike.......remove the inner fender. Use an impact. Alternate between loosening and tightening.....until loose enuff to remove.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, use PB blaster and lots of it, it will make it a lot easier to get your nuts off! :rofl:

You can get shorty headers from Summit for about $150 and they will bolt to your factory exhaust. Get them or some more expensive ceramic coated headers if you got the $$$$. Just search around for exhaust upgrades, because while you are there you might as well change out that y pipe.

If it is the passenger side, pull the inner fender, trust me, you will be glad you did. IIRC you need a 5/8" deep well socket and some long extensions to unbolt the down pipe easily.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,139 Posts

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,916 Posts
using an impact/air tools on those bolts is just asking to break them. use a regular ratchet this way you can feel how the bolt is behaving.

·
Forward Some Money
5,073 Posts
using an impact/air tools on those bolts is just asking to break them. use a regular ratchet this way you can feel how the bolt is behaving.
I had much better luck with impact. On the other hand, I broke several with hand stuff. If you alternate between off and on it's not that bad. If you hit it and keep going, then yes, that's trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts