Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you change the front diff fluid on a TTB without taking it apart? It doesn't have a cover like the rear differential.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
BeErGuZzLeR1972 said:
How do you change the front diff fluid on a TTB without taking it apart? It doesn't have a cover like the rear differential.
Beerguzzler

either you buy a drill pump that will allow you to "vacuum" MOST of the oil and a bit of the debri out, or you spend $7.00 and a half hour doing this mod that will allow you to change it easily whenever you want;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=17957#content

Easy as pie, read the captions under the pics

Sixlitre

·
Registered
961 Posts
this will work with pretty much any year?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
chevysuck said:
this will work with pretty much any year?
If'n your TTB looks like this;

Then yes it will work on yours. Now get on down to Lowes for that tap and get ready for your weekend project !

Sixlitre

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Sixlitre,
Great mod. I am gonna have to remember to get that done when I redo the front end of my rig.:thumbup

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I got a minute lube to do mine the first time. The next time though I will use a syphon pump that I bought from Princess Auto for 6 bucks, I believe.

EDIT: After looking at Six's pics, I think that is a much better way to go.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,979 Posts
Damn six, your killin me with things to do on the trucks... So doin three TTBs should take how long?

Adrianspeeder

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
Damn six, your killin me with things to do on the trucks... So doin three TTBs should take how long?

Adrianspeeder
Geezely Adrian

read them captions under the pretty pics. Kidding aside it took an hour to over prepare and overthink the project and then 10 minutes to drill and tap the hole.

Your biggest decision will be what kind of 39 cent plumbing plug to use.

It's one of the cheapest, easiest and most beneficial mods I've done to the truck.

Did I mention it was cheap to do ?:D

Sixlitre (quite possibly the tightest FSB owner here)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hey yo! listen to six he be tight, like real tight, yo!

Ahaha, I just used a hand pump, but his way is better since you can get the debris(metal bits?) out too

Although I dont think my front diff ever saw any 4wd action, when I changed the fluid on mine the old fluid looked like choclate milk.

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
I bought the tap, but I can't tell what size the final hole is going to be. In other words, what size plug do I need?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
I bought the tap, but I can't tell what size the final hole is going to be. In other words, what size plug do I need?
If'n you bought that there tap and have drilled the 7/16" hole

then you wants 3/8 NPT plugs

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
muchos grassy ass!
If'n yer worried buy all three NPT plugs at Home depot. They're 33 cents each. Beats bus fare if you guess wrong.

Actually I just handed the tap to the guy who sold it to me and said "I'd like a plug to fit this" and he walked me to it and put it in my hand.

Sixlitre

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
Will do. I got my tap at O'reillys and they didn't have the plugs. I'm afraid to go to Home Depot. I'll buy my 33 cent plugs but somehow I never get past the register for less than $100! Damn those capitalist pig dogs!

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
dredging this old beast up, I have a question. Having never seen the open ttb arm I am curious how thick is the meatl where this hole gets drilled and how much clearance is there to the carrier/gears? This may be stupid but I always try and put some tape on the drill bit whenever I can't see the other side of the metal being drilled. I am an electrician and have seen plenty of people not paying attention drill right into a wire or service when drilling entrances into a panel and it ain't pretty. Also if you use enough tape(electrical) then it will stop or at least slow the bit so no damage is done.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Excellent method. I've seen tutorials before about doing this, but no one else had the idea to use a greased up q-tip to collect all of the chips from the machining since brake cleaner might not be enough by itself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
you know why they didn't put that drain plug in....because Ford union workers wanted 500 dollars for every drain hole :)

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
you know why they didn't put that drain plug in....because Ford union workers wanted 500 dollars for every drain hole :)
bullshit

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
dredging this old beast up, I have a question. Having never seen the open ttb arm I am curious how thick is the meatl where this hole gets drilled and how much clearance is there to the carrier/gears? This may be stupid but I always try and put some tape on the drill bit whenever I can't see the other side of the metal being drilled. I am an electrician and have seen plenty of people not paying attention drill right into a wire or service when drilling entrances into a panel and it ain't pretty. Also if you use enough tape(electrical) then it will stop or at least slow the bit so no damage is done.
My dad's a retired Seabee; He taught me to cut a piece of wood and then drill it 3 sizes bigger than the bit you're using. It makes an excellent drill stop.
I can't tell you how many times I've used that trick to keep from ****ing up someone's underdash, especially my own.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
My dad's a retired Seabee; He taught me to cut a piece of wood and then drill it 3 sizes bigger than the bit you're using. It makes an excellent drill stop.
I can't tell you how many times I've used that trick to keep from ****ing up someone's underdash, especially my own.
Tape on the drill bit is easier and quicker.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts