Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of having to powerwash my radiator in the middle of muddin events. The problem is that it gets filled with mud and will not cool the motor anymore. This then causes the engine to heat and the tranny. I was kicking around the idea of creating a bracket to hold it off of the back bumper and run electric fans. Will the pump have enough pressure to push the fluid back that far and back? Any other problems you guys foresee?
Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
Id go to an e-fan setup and see if that helps. Turn the fan off when doing mud. Helluva lot simpler than moving it to the back. You could also run a ascreen up front then swap out as needed. No longer than a run lasts the air flow reduction would probably have no effect.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I dont think "pressure" is the question here, Ive seen people do this by running 2 1/2" pipe by the frame rails. Baja trucks do it and their mounting them up higher than the motor.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
i think an electric fan with some guards would be best. to keep the mud from going through the grill you could make one of those guards like they have on desert racers to deflect the water downward away from the rad. if you do put it in the bck i wouldnt attatch it to the bumper, maybe the tailgate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips, but it is more of muddy water that I am in not clumps of mud. The water is all churned up and the color of coffee. It fills all the spaces in the radiator up and air can not get through it. The water level on the truck is about 6 inches under the top of the doors. When running through the water, a bow wake is formed and the water line is always lower on the tail gate. I know this is a truck not a boat, but my wife and 3 year old son love seeing the water almost come in the windows. I hope this clears it up. Are people running tubing all way way back or a hard pipe back. I have seen many trucks run the radiators back, but never got a close look at one.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Most big mud trucks usually have a large radiator in the bed right behind the cab with some big e-fans on it. Mounting off the rear bumper wouldn't be a bad idea for a Bronco, but you'd want to make a brush guard of sorts for the radiator.

And I would run hard tubing from front to back with the rubber hoses on the engine and radiator hook ups. Rubber tube under frame is an invite for pointy objects to steal your coolant.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured I would run hard piping under the truck. I will have to tuck it as high as possible. I also plan on running it down the driver side to stay away from the exhaust. I will not have a chance to tear into it for a couple of weeks due to moms day and all. I have a trans cooler with a fan I will most likey move back as well. I am tired of heating up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts