Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I play with my
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I just wanted to know how big of a PITA it is to change an oil pan gasket on a 96 5.8 Automatic transmission I went down to a local shop and asked them how much it would cost and they gave me the price of $480USD..and so I walked out now besides taking down the rail that protects the oil pan and the fron of the trans what other PITA would I be encountering with this???

·
I play with my
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Yes I also forgot to mention I was under my rig last night with a flashlight inspecting a leak and I saw right above the drive shaft that there was gease on the bottom of the bed of my truck and grease on the exhaust pipe right after the muffler anyone know what this could be from my guess is from the end of the drive shaft greasings just being spun so fast is just splatters everywhere

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Look for a thread that Trucky18 did earlier this year. That was for a 5.0, I don't know if it's comparable.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I'm pretty sure that crossmember you refered to is rivetted on. You have to raise the motor to change the gasket. It is an all day job, especially for the first time.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
i wss able to feed the gasket through without having to raise the tranny or engine... mines a 5.8 too.... i think imlikeoj did it successfully too the same way.... didn't take long at all... but when feeding it through it will really help to have a second person... and wipe both sides of the gasket clean before bolting it down b/c it does get a little dirty

·
I play with my
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:whiteflag Sorry to inform you all that I'm retarded and it was not the oilpan but infact it was the tranny pan:whiteflag

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
AHAHAHAAAAHHAAAAA.

Tranny pan is easier than the oil pan.

Might as well change all your tranny oil and your filter while your at it. Make sure you drain the TC

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
So when you drain the torque convertor how to you refill it? does it do it on its own? i never have done this. also how do you get to the bolt to drain it?

ken

·
I play with my
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I figured since I'm going to be doing the tranny fluid I might as well check a few other minor things ex.Blinker fluid,Muffler bearings and continium transfuctionor but I'm gonna need a bucket of steam for the continium transfuctionor:brownbag :brownbag :brownbag

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
So when you drain the torque converter how to you refill it? does it do it on its own? i never have done this. also how do you get to the bolt to drain it?

ken
The TC will fill it self.......when you refill the trans dump in like 6 quarts
(E4OD), and then start the truck and shut it down in a second or three.....now finish filling the trans (BTW I always use 15 quarts of Mobil-1 synthetic ATF and one quart of Lucas ATF conditioner).

To drain the torque converter, after you have drained the pan, remove the rubber access cover at the bottom of the bell housing, so you can see the TC.....turn it with a pry bar or wrench or whatever until you can look up in there and see the drain bolt.....take it out....let it drain and reinstall it.
I do this at EVERY trans service I do on my E4OD.....the TC holds about 6 or 7 quarts of ATF!

·
green ones make me horny
11,152 Posts
thanks man i am thinking of doing it soon. it is about that time now. i did it last year about this time and my fluid is smelling used but not burnt. thanks again

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
In draining the torque converter, I find it to be easiest to turn the convertor by the engine crankshaft bolt (the one that holds on the harmonic balancer). Transmission service is so easy to over look, we change oil every 3000 miles and completly forget about the tranny. Consider doing your transfer case while your under there, The BorgWarner 1356 hols like 2.5 quarts and is super easy to do.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,855 Posts
Since I'm pulling the block on Saturday and have both internal / external filters to install and replace I guess it's a good time to do it. I plan on adding a drain plug and get an external tranny cooler while I'm at it.

(BTW I always use 15 quarts of Mobil-1 synthetic ATF and one quart of Lucas ATF conditioner).
Noted.:thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts