Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Changing from a 5.0 to a 5.8L engine requires swapping out the ECU

The best way to do this is through the drivers side wheel well by loosing off the plastic inner fender as shown

I label all my computers when I remove them so I didn't get them mixed up.

Pulling back the plastic inner fender you will have access to the computer harness, this requires a 10mm socket to remove. Next you remove 2-11mm nuts on ECU rubber gourmet, remove the grommet and pullout the ECU. Here the ECU is already removed

Slide in the new ECU

The rubber grommet, notice the marking for "top".

Reinstall the grommet, nuts and tighten down the harness and the ECU is installed.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
why would you want to jack up the truck, take the tire off, pull the inner fender panel? when one could have at that bolt with a quarter inch ratchet and a 10mm socket from the top and have the computer swapped out in 5 minutes? ask me how i know. :brownbag

however, good write-up. there's more than one way to skin a cat. :beer

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Not sure if its allowed to post pics on someone's tech thread, if this is a violation, I apologize. Since the thread was started, didn't see a point in starting a new one. Like Unforgiven said, more than one way to skin a cat, might as well keep all the pelts here.

Basically, to change out the EEC, I just access from the top:

My truck is an '87, and has an MAF adapter, but the principle is the same. In the first pic, the vacuum canister is attached (silver drum looking thing on the right hand side, lower right corner of the pic). There are just two bolts there, also 10mm IIRC, but if they aren't, just use the proper size socket. (disregard the wiring/hose mess..I only posted these pics because they were handy, and I happened to be in this forum for something else and saw the heading, checked out the thread, agreed with Unforgiven, and went back to my thread and grabbed these quicklike...yada yada yada...)

Once that is out of your way, access to the front of the EEC is painless.

Then you remove the driverside kick panel from in the cab, and pull the EEC out from inside.

*EDIT* Bossind...did you also write down which model of computer you have? You may also need that information for certain things. That number is on the plastic pin connector housing. This one is a C3W1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried it Bossind's way and it worked perfectly for my 94 with a 5.8. There wasn't a good way to pull it out from the top with the rubber seal and the plastic splash guard in the way.

·
Super Moderator
27,411 Posts
Yo Dan,
Thanks for commenting.
ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search, How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts & more tips!

BabaLooey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting.

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Try to find time to participate in our current Full-Size of the Quarter Contest & later in the year's Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just to add bit more detail. In my 94, the inner fender bolts are 5mm, I used nut driver in drill to remove. I had to remove front running board mounting to gain access to bottom inner fender bolt. So, check for open end 5mm wrench, my kit stopped at 6mm.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Agree with Unforgiven. If you can reach the bottom nut of the EEC bracket with ratchet and deep socket, then you CAN replace the unit from the top without removing the inner fender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts