Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again. I've had my Bronco for about 5 months now and i really wanted to change the differential fluids on her. I'm not sure if they have ever been changed so i figure i'd rather be safe than sorry. Plus I'm going to be taking her off road so i wanted to make sure this was done right.
Ok, here we go: What fluids do i replace the front and rear differentail with (brand, grade, weights?) and are there any type off additives i need to put in? I know my mustang needed an additive for limited slip. Also what do i put in the transfer case and the tranny. She has a stock 4spd.
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I have a Chiltons manual but it really doesn't tell me what to use. Any more ideas what to change/lube before i hit the trails?

Rock on :rockon

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I use the Lucas gear oil. No additives (except water and mud:doh0715: ). Expensive, but what the hell. I'd just spend the money on something else anyway.:beer

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I run 85w140 in everything. I buy the stuff by the 5 gallon buckets.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Jopes is right, run 84w140, make sure that if you have a limited slip to put the additive in as well. I run a mix of Lucas and 85w140 in diffs and transfer case. I find the axles and transfer case run cooler with the Lucas. Through grease job never hurts either, make sur you grease up the drive shaft splines as well.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Checked my gear oil bottle and I used the 80/90 weight.
I believe the 78 Freewheeler Bronco package came with a limited slip rear. I think they had black bumpers too. Someone will chime in about the Freewheeler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts