Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
This only recently started occurring in the last month. I turn on my 1993 Bronco, 170k miles and then put it into Drive. Then the bronco doesnt move at all, its as if the emergency brake was on or if i was pressing on the brake myself. The first time this happened it was so hard that I thought it was stuck in park(even though it was on drive). I had to press nearly all the way on the gas and then I heard a noise, like grinding almost.

It still happens, I wont drive it for 4 days then I jump on and it takes a small amount of gas to get it to move, then it goes away as i drive it for a little. But it comes back couple days later. ALSO putting in reverse works completely normal.

I leave it on a flat concrete ground and dont use the emergency brake.
When I normally brake while driving it feels fine, no grinding noises, no struggling, nothing. Me and my dad checked the front brake pads and they still had like 30% left. Though I'll check more thoroughly later this week.

If you know what this could be or have any tips please let me know, thanks.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,675 Posts
All i know to tell you is check the transmission fluid, after getting the trans up to temperature and on level ground.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,632 Posts
Run the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) tests. If you see a lot of transmission related codes you may have lost the power connection to the solenoid pack. With no power the transmission starts off in fourth gear.

Most common failure point is the solenoid pack connector located on the passenger side of the transmission.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Super Moderator
27,271 Posts
Yo MuffinStuffer,
As advised.
E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED with an overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
The transmission control switch is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650). The powertrain control module then energizes the transmission control indicator lamp and the coast clutch solenoid, applying the coast clutch to provide engine braking and cancels fourth gear operation; does it cause the lamp to glow?
The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing).

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

PCM stores the Self-Test program in permanent memory. When activated, Self-Test checks the EEC system by testing memory integrity and processing capability, and verifies that various sensors and actuators are connected and operating properly.

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Then turn off engine, all accessories/lights (close driver's door) , etc.

Do KOEO test First. Post Code(s) here according to KOEO & KOER.
A helper can assist you by counting the codes. Some use their smart phones to record them.

BEWARE OF FAN, BELTS, PULLEYS, HOT HOSES, IGNITION HIGH TENSION WIRES, AND ENGINE COMPONENTS

Or ask local mom and dad parts stores if they will test it for you.
Or purchase a coder reader such as Equus 3145 Innova OBD I Code Reader for Ford EEC IV Engines at Walmart & most parts stores.

Following by Ford for Engagement Concern: Delayed/Soft Forward Only with NO Codes;
Possible Component Reference/Action
206 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
No Electrical Concerns

306 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Fluid
Improper level. Adjust fluid to proper level.
Condition
Inspect according to instructions under Fluid Condition Check.
Shift Linkage or Cable Damaged, misadjusted. Inspect and service as required. Verify linkage adjustment as outlined. After servicing linkage, verify that the Transmission Range (TR) sensor is properly adjusted. Refer to In-Vehicle Service in this section.
Improper Pressures
Low line pressure. Check pressure at line tap. Perform Line Pressure and Stall Speed Tests. Refer to Pressure Chart No. 401 for specification. If pressures are low, check the following possible components: pump inlet filter and seal assembly, main controls, pump assembly.
Filter Assembly and Seal. Plugged, damaged. Inspect filter assembly and seal for damage. Service as required. Filter Seal damaged

Main Controls
Bolt not tightened to specification. Retighten bolts to specification.
Gaskets damaged. Inspect for damage and replace.
Center Support Assembly
Feedbolts missing, improperly tightened. Install new feedbolts and tighten to specification.
Hub damaged, holes blocked or missing. Inspect for damage. Service as required.
Forward Clutch Assembly
Assembly
Air check clutch assembly as outlined in this section.
Seals or piston damaged.,Inspect seals for damage. Service as required.
Check balls damaged, missing. Inspect for mislocation, poor seating, damage. Replace cylinder as required.
Clutch hub damaged. Inspect for damage. Service as required.
Friction elements damaged, missing. Inspect for damage. Service as required.
Stator support seal damaged.mInspect for damage. Service as required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I did a Key On Engine Off test and my results were:
334...334...|...334...452...334

I'm going to do some more digging on these codes. I do remember I changed the vehicle speed sensor about 5 months ago. But it mightve gone bad again. (if that is for 452)
I'm not too sure about the 334 though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Run the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) tests. If you see a lot of transmission related codes you may have lost the power connection to the solenoid pack. With no power the transmission starts off in fourth gear.

Most common failure point is the solenoid pack connector located on the passenger side of the transmission.
Do you know if the Solenoid connector Pack would still be the issue if I only got codes 334 and 452?

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,632 Posts
Do you know if the Solenoid connector Pack would still be the issue if I only got codes 334 and 452?
Not likely from an electrical perspective. Check the fluid level as previously suggested. Also try putting the shifter in Low/1st to see if the trucks moves normally when the issue occurs again.

I had a similar issue as yours on my old 1992 F350 4X4. Some days it would barely move when first taking off, took a lot of throttle to get it moving. Fluid was good, no codes. Turns out one side of the rear brakes had the shoes reversed.The brakes kept tightened every time I used the brakes, not only reverse. Then I found the other side were never replaced. Some dumbass previous owner only replaced one side and they did it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
27,271 Posts
yo M,
DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; SEE C, E4OD Harsh Shifts & D, Code 452 - see Poss. Short Locations: 1. Driver's side A pillar trim screws may have been installed thru da 17K745 Sun Visor wire assy & .. bullet connector; 3. Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy; 4 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall 5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; the wire harness; 7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld
Source: by Ford
also see
DTC 27, 29, 452, P0502, P0503, PO716, PO718; Insufficient input from VSS.; "...A more difficult problem to identify is a VSS that works, but sends out the wrong signal for a given vehicle speed. In some cases, a wrong reading from the VSS may still cause a code to be set. For example, if the VSS signal tells the computer the vehicle is traveling 60 miles an hour, but the throttle position sensor and MAP sensor tell the computer that the engine is idling, the computer will be confused. And a confused computer should set any of the following codes: Ford 27, 29, 452. On a vehicle that uses the VSS as a safety device, a defective sensor may send out a wrong "too fast" signal, shutting down fuel flow at the wrong time. Although this doesn’t happen often, it can be a difficult problem to identify. The customer will probably describe it as a random or intermittent sudden loss of power and poor performance, only to have the engine resume normal operation. Routine diagnostic checks of the engine in the shop won’t show any problem because there isn’t a problem with the engine or the ECM..."
Source: by wellsmfgcorp.com

Someone here else recently had the "14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel"

And Turbo Ghost wrote about non-Ford VSS issues @ Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!
"I don't know about different lengths but, when I replaced mine, the one from autozone didn't fit right. The one from Ford fit perfectly and solved that aspect of my problem. There was a difference in the way they tightened against the differential. The autozone one got pulled at an angle and the Ford unit went in straight."

btw, Ford often refers to VSS AND as the RABS SENSOR
DS1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) 29 AND 452: CHECK PSOM RESISTANCE

Continuous Memory DTC 29 indicates that during the last 80 warm-up cycles, the PCM detected an error in the PSOM output signal. DTC 452 indicates the PCM detected an error in the PSOM output signal during the last 40 warm-up cycles.
Possible Causes:
Damaged Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS) Module.
Damaged PSOM.
Damaged harness circuits.
Damaged PCM.
Key off.
Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 3 and Test Pin 6 at the breakout box.
Instead of breakout box, go to the EEC CONNECTOR pin or other instead; for instance - Measure resistance between Test Pin 3 and Test Pin 6; EEC Connector Pin 3 is VSS +
in 6 is VSS -

To help troubleshoot;
EEC IV Connector Pin Diagram

by Ryan M

EEC Connector Pin Outs LEGEND, Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8; by Ryan M at Ford Fuel Injection

DTC 334 EGR (EVP) in either KOEO = Key On Engine Off, or CM = Continues Memory, or KOER = Key On Engine Running indicates a closed valve voltage higher than expected; "...Failed sensor, & as rla2005 (Randy) wrote; carbon between EGR pintle valve and seat holding the valve off its seat. Remove the EGR valve and clean it with carbon remover. Prior to re-installing see if you can blow air through the flange side of the EGR by mouth. the egr is not closing properly which can cause detonation. remove the egr and clean off any carbon built up on it with carb cleaner and a brush if necessary. The EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor used exclusively by Ford, can be the cause of driveability problems without ever setting any trouble codes. The relationship between the EVP sensor and the EGR valve is important to understand. Either one being out of spec can cause similar symptoms. Understanding this relationship will help you to diagnose uncoded driveability problems like stumbles, hesitations, rough idles and stalling..."
Source: by rla2005 (Randy) at FSB

EVP Testi @ EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor Testing & Replacement
Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve) at FSB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not likely from an electrical perspective. Check the fluid level as previously suggested. Also try putting the shifter in Low/1st to see if the trucks moves normally when the issue occurs again.

I had a similar issue as yours on my old 1992 F350 4X4. Some days it would barely move when first taking off, took a lot of throttle to get it moving. Fluid was good, no codes. Turns out one side of the rear brakes had the shoes reversed.The brakes kept tightened every time I used the brakes, not only reverse. Then I found the other side were never replaced. Some dumbass previous owner only replaced one side and they did it wrong.
Hi, what do you mean by the shoes of the rear brakes? I remember my dad was helping out bleeding the brakes soon before I started having this issue. Had already replaced the master cylinder because the brake sunk to the floor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Also I did try putting it in 1st/2nd but it still had the same reaction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also last week it bled out a lot of transmission oil. I believe it was a hose as now I have a new hose and its been fine. Old hose had a small tear. It's a little tough trying to read the dip stick, like the oil isnt so red that it appears clearly but I do see it wet up past the recommended level. Also the transmission underneath looks a bit wet and drips from the seal a little bit. So might have a bit much. Will have to check again in daylight. Thanks for all the help so far though

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,632 Posts
Hi, what do you mean by the shoes of the rear brakes? I remember my dad was helping out bleeding the brakes soon before I started having this issue. Had already replaced the master cylinder because the brake sunk to the floor.
There are trailing (primary) and leading (secondary) brake shoes on most rear brakes. Weird things happen when they reversed.

Note that the primary (front) shoe has LESS friction material than the secondary (rear) shoe.

courtesy of Steve83

1 - 12 of 12 Posts